Official 2010 F1 Pre-Season Thread

Depends what your motives are. Many F1 drivers would PAY to race a competitive car if they had to. If Kimi wants to make money, then it is indeed a daft move. If he wants to race an F1 car more than anything else in the world, walking away because of money is foolish.

To be honest, I think the real reason he walked away is because he wants to drive, but he doesn't really give a toss if it's an F1 car or something else...

If he was there to make money he had taken the highest bid and be done with it. Don't think it's about driving, but winning. As he has said, there is no competitive seats available. The high pay demands can be explained by the fact he really doesn't like the media circus and all the pr-crap, so he wants proper compensation for it. I see no reason why he should have sold himself short, although I'm quite sure that all those numbers we hear are pulled straight from thin air. It's always easier to say we disagreed about money than I don't like your fat German arse and way of doing things.

Positively, this frees him to do all sort of awesome stuff with any car or brand he likes.

Except Mercedes has a very strong heritage in grand prix racing and pretty much Mercedes and Alfred Neubauer invented the formula for running a succesful grand prix team.

Look at it this way, McLaren is now a independent team, in time to come ?

Well, effectively its a swap not a loss. Mclaren was more or less Mercedes factory team and now they're independent.
Yeah I see that, maybe it was just Toyota being a corporate dread team that diluted my view. I just hope the Mercedes is being genuinely passionate here and not putting up a front.

really?! How?

Mercedes was there at the begining of grand prix racing and the begining of formula 1, and pulled out when one of theirs cars killed 80 people.
I think you're referring to the 1955_Le_Mans_disaster.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXtb5eDUuQw[/YOUTUBE]

Russian F1news.ru, quoting Brazilian Globe, is reporting that Kimi is going to sign with Mercedes GP and race for Citroen Rally on off weekends.

Last edited:
Russian F1news.ru, quoting Brazilian Globe, is reporting that Kimi is going to sign with Mercedes GP and race for Citroen Rally on off weekends.
What if Citroen made a swap of drivers and let Kimi drive the C4, and let Loeb compete in F1? I know there's been rumors of him joining, and he tested in a GP2 car recently, I believe.

Just got this on Twitter

Noble F1: Mario Theissen told me last night that Sauber is still waiting for news from the FIA about what is happening to Toyota's place on the grid

:? Just fine Toyota and give Sauber the place already, I can't believe thats still not been sorted.

Time running out for Silverstone deal

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has warned Silverstone that it now has just a few weeks to sort out a contract for the British Grand Prix if the event is not to be dropped from the calendar.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80238

If this happens it will be a real shame. This year we had no GP in France, next year we may lose the Britsh Grand Prix and the situation with Germany is not too promising. However, we have Singapore, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Soth Korea, two GPs in Spain...

Something is going very wrong here.

and that something, is the ability of those countries to pay! allowing bernie to raise the cost of hosting a GP, beyond economically feasible means, to which the classic tracks cannot afford to pay. Wasn't Spa going to be lost as well....

Everyone says its just business, with Bernies job to get the most for the shareholders, but when its no longer beneficial for the track and its country, there is a point where they should just stop. These new countries are probably paying for the race to be held their from prestige alone! Not only that price for the show is so much greater due to these ridiculously high costs. The funny thing is the shareholders and Bernie think since they are making so much money and demand is high, F1 must be doing great! They probably don't even care that the fans are malcontent and are getting tired of it all.

I know he's loyal to Ferrari and all, but it was Mercedes who made his name in Sportscars so he kinda owes them for that. Still, I'll believe it when I see it.

This has to be the craziest offseason ever!

Last edited:
Surprise surprise, Jordan managed to slip in a mention of his team.