Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Last time I used fraps it had an impact on ingame performance since it basically takes a screengrab 30 times a second and strings them together for a video file. It also made huge video files.

N270 indeed. But as long as WMP works I'll hold off on paying for a decoder.

Ah this may be the source of the difference between our 2 pcs, mine has the N280 which is apparently a lot quicker than the N270 despite being only 66 Mhz faster.

I've checked it yesterday btw, mine played the 720p Top Gear rip fine, even streamed from the other PC, and while having tons of web pages open, aswell as email...

Last time I used fraps it had an impact on ingame performance since it basically takes a screengrab 30 times a second and strings them together for a video file. It also made huge video files.

this. fraps is no good for video
Some games allow you to sort of record what you're doing so you can view it as a replay. trouble is that it's only usually readable by the game itself, so that may be an issue :p

How do people do it then, for things like video game reviews and stuff...do they have an inline recorder? Something between the PC and the monitor?

I wouldn't bother with a plastic shell case thing. Get an invisible shield. It won't protect against sharp stabbing type impacts to prevent dents, but it won't scratch. And it comes with a lifetime warranty if something ever does happen to it.

http://www.zagg.com/

Had one on my phone for a year and a half, no problems at all- and it's in my pocket with all manner of crap. Loved the stuff so much I bought a full body protection kit for a huge mac just for the bulk material to use on other things.

Just placed an order, thanks.

How do people do it then, for things like video game reviews and stuff...do they have an inline recorder? Something between the PC and the monitor?

They could just have really expensive PCs with far too many graphics cards so it won't matter if a program reduces performance.

If I remember correctly the problem is mainly I/O. Set it to dump to a secondary hard disk and things should speed up.

If I remember correctly the problem is mainly I/O. Set it to dump to a secondary hard disk and things should speed up.

It was recording to a different hd. This was ~2 years ago though, so things have have gotten better since.

How the hell did I get a huge spec of dirt under my iPhones screen??

No, its not under the screen protector, its actually under the glass screen.

So, a Zune HD may be showing up around Christmas, but unless I can find an adapter that will allow me to use it with my car's iPod dock, I think I'll hold off.

I'm wondering if I should get an Acekard to compare with the TTDS. $12 from DX.

I do like the TTDS, especially running YSmenu, but the contacts on the PCB keep being gay and as a result it doesn't always load first time after you took the card out and put it back in again.

Going out to buy this (Epson Workforce 610) tomorrow:
s0346512_sc7

Thoughts?

If it's not your only printer around, I'd upgrade to a laser unit if you're going to be making copies.

Has anyone seen the "internet connected" HP printer? WTF is the point of it?

If it's not your only printer around, I'd upgrade to a laser unit if you're going to be making copies.

Has anyone seen the "internet connected" HP printer? WTF is the point of it?

The color laser ones I saw were like $500, so that might be a bit too far out of my price range. I have to pay for this one myself, the last one and I had an... altercation, lol.

As for the internet connected printer, I'd go with it lets you print from anywhere with an internet connection.

^:blink: wow... that is absolutely useless.

So...I need some help... I am trying to chat with a friend on xbox live...but terrible internet service (read Bell) and a router don't like allowing me to connect to anyone near by. So I disconnected and plugged the system straight to the modem.

And xbox will not connect to live. It say it cannot find DNS. Xbox is set to search for DNS automatically and its straight through the modem so I don't see how it can't. Any ideas on this? Or on how to make it so I can connect with everybody throught the router?

I didn't want to be a bother and make a new thread just for this, and figured someone here will have a super quick fix.

Yeah I think you can set it manually, it just defaults to automatic, obviously.

I've pretty much given up on trying to get my 500GB drives fixed for my NAS box. I really don't want to spend upwards of ?100 getting them sent to china for a bloke I only know via email to swap the board over. I don't know if it'll work, assuming he doesn't just run off with my money.

So I'm starting to look at rebuilding my library. To be honest there isn't anything on there that can't be replaced in time so it's not worth it, and I'll be looking at getting a couple of 1TB drives and set up RAID1 (not making the mistake of making a drive rely on two drives that aren't backed up again). I'll be looking at paying about ?130 for those as it is.

Good news is a new computer shop has opened up in town with good prices. Picked up a 16GB USB drive this morning for ?25. Bargain. Shame the Xbox 360 doesn't support NTFS drives.

Yeah...so it wasn't my xbox...Bell decided to change how they treat xbox's without telling me. I never had to enter my user name and password before when trying to connect to the network, and now do.

my brother when he was at home never had that type of problem with our videotron internet connection, also, does bell are really trying to make all their customer angry or they just do accidently cause in the last year, i never saw one thing bell did that customer did liked.