How can I make my v6 camaro faster (2010)

Why is there five pages of thread and about 5 useful posts?

He wants to know how to make his car go faster not how to sell it and buy something that pleases the rest of you.

You can bolt on new exhaust, intake and perhaps headers if you're skilled, but if you do run into engine problems down the road you will have to remove all that in order to have warranty work done. You could also check at your dealer for performance parts that they will sell and install, and you can retain your warranty.

And +1 for camaro5.com

Edit: just did some reading around and apparently v6s and the v8s are running 11.5 afrs at wot, (I run 8psi and that's what I shoot for!) that is unreasonably rich, on an N/A motor you should dont need to be under 12.5 and even that is quite safe. I would look into more reflashes and that should get you some real nice numbers for $$.

Last edited:
In addition to getting sticky tires, a lightweight single piece forged rim will also help a lot. I could not find the weight of the V6 wheels, but I do know that the SS wheels are like 4 anchors attached to the car. (30lbs for the front and 32lbs for the rear)

Cutting the wheel weight down to ~16-20 lbs each (depending on how much of that $5,000 you want to put towards wheels) along with sticky tires could net you close to a 2 second advantage in the quater mile.

You also get the advantage of better handling.

Keep it the way it is right now. Cars with 300 hp are plenty fast. Wait at least a year or so before any modifications. You are going to be going to college anyways, and you probably don't want the loudest shoutiest car around. I don't have that problem at my college cause somewhere there is a student driving a 911 turbo, but your college might.

Generally you remove the ECU and send it to a tuner to get reprogrammed. Not that is is a difficult thing. Unplug the cables and send it out.

Not on new cars, especially GM's. You can get a plug in module that goes right into the OBD2 port. When he wants to make it run and look stock (for smog lets say) he just unplugs it.

Driving lessons and tires, why void the warranty?

Ok, THANK YOU for all your posts.

1st- I don't blame you guys for being skeptical but I will 100% for sure have pics on here between 9am-2pm tomorrow. That is when the car is being delivered to my house. If you dont believe me look at this
Camarosale-1.png

I have the invoice too if you want me to post that, or wait till 2pm tomorrow lol

2nd- The reason I have a camaro is because my dad bought my brother a 50,000 tahoe so he thought it would be unfair to buy me a 8,000 car, and my dad told me if I get a 3.7 and over 30 on my act he will buy me a camaro (and I did). I am not goign to tell my dad that he should buy me a 38,000 camaro, I am thankful that he actually bought me one

3rd- I really don't know much about modifying cars but I can buy the parts and have the stuff done in a shop around here

4th- The reason I posted here is because I could not find an active camaro forum, they all had like 15 posts total for the v6 version and the last one was like a month ago.

4th- The reason I posted here is because I could not find an active camaro forum, they all had like 15 posts total for the v6 version and the last one was like a month ago.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/

as of 4:00PM CST has 20k members, 1.1million posts, 1110 users (350members and 760 guests). You will find more than enough info for the 5th gen camaro on there.

And google search for "camaro forum" would also show alot of other websites as well but I think Camaro5 is the largest 5th gen camaro community.

I don't see how 0-60 in 6 seconds is too slow for a road car to be honest.

Nope, but it doesn't look too good when your Camaro gets beat by a Camry. :lol:

When I went from my Mazda b2600i to my F150 V6, I thought that I was super fast because of the 80hp increase, hehe. I don't know how I would have reacted if my first car could hit 60 in 6 seconds. My Mazda truck barely did it in 12.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.

So you will get a brand new car some time soon and already think it's too slow?

Right on the head, guys.

First of all DRIVE THE DAMN CAR and after you got used to it, and after you used up all the sidewalls of said car driving the tits of it in a trackday, you come back here and we can talk about improving the performance.

Nope, but it doesn't look too good when your Camaro gets beat by a Camry. :lol:

When I went from my Mazda b2600i to my F150 V6, I thought that I was super fast because of the 80hp increase, hehe. I don't know how I would have reacted if my first car could hit 60 in 6 seconds. My Mazda truck barely did it in 12.

How many Camries can go to 60 under 6 seconds?

There will always be someone faster, live with it. Or sell the car, and buy a Caterham or something.

Or something like this.
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/MervHagen2.htm
MervHagen2-CA.jpg

That 2000lbs MGB is easily pumping out more than 300hp and will beat an SS in the straights.

Last edited:
^ Chrome bumpers too. Not sure about the wheels - I like the spoke type myself.

I agree about getting used to the Camaro, and only then start thinking about doing some 'modding' - but remember goes faster needs to stop better too.

Congratulations on the new ride. It should be a lot of fun for you. I don't envy your insurance bill, but if y'all have it to spend, I'm not going to hate.

Well the V6 comes with a 3.27 final drive. The V8 comes with 3:54 gears. I'm guessing they are interchangeable. That would certainly make you quicker.

Even the V6 camaro is a heavy beastie...so make it lighter. Back seats are for suckers. I know yours don't fold down, so I'm not sure if they are even removable. You could remove other bits too, but I'm guessing you are partial to your sound deadening. They already make cf hoods for the car, and that could save you a couple pounds. Somebody already said light wheels, do that.

Most aftermarket exhaust systems are lighter as well as better breathing, which helps on both fronts. You could get some lighter front seats too, if you aren't totally sold on all that airbag malarky.

They make uprated trailing arms, which I'm guessing might be lighter, and they will help you launch=faster. There are some things you can do to make the transmission shift a little more aggressively which would help, but I'm guessing they aren't warranty friendly.

Above all, learn how to drive. I don't care how good you think you are, you're 17...which means that you haven't been driving long enough to know shit. Go autocrossing or something. It's fun and you'll learn more in a day than you would in a year on the roads.

this thread exploded

and im pretty sure after u upgraded ur car u'll get used to it and u'll feel that its slow again

might as just get some better tires and driving lessons like somebody suggested

Yeah, hey thanks, I was having some fun in jest and you end up hating on my car. THanks :rolleyes:

What? :blink:

I suggest you grow a spine. They are handy.