Food! [The thread that started this section]

I ordered tonight at a Greek restaurant:

As a starter I had deep-fried aubergines:
4122333221_1ba632b70e_b.jpg

Then a "Hermes" plate, consisting of Gyros, Bifteki and Souflaki:
4123106826_9db073c94d_b.jpg

Top tip for dining Greek: Always order extra Metaxa Sauce :)
4122336773_bf5ebbc85a_b.jpg

Last edited:
I?ve gotten so sick of bad greek-restaurants around 1997 and haven?t been to one since ... but THAT looks really well put together ... and that sauce ... really looks tasty :)

But the deep-fried aubergines ... that?s a bit more "eastern" than greece - isn?t it? Prob another pakistani-run restaurant? Down my street there is a china, a Indian and a pizzaria ... all run by pakistani. Not that I would think that this is wrong as long as the food is good (and the pakistani-run chinese is in fact pretty good) ... but it just isn?t what you?d call "original", isn?t it?

Well, aubergines are part of the Greek cuisine, too. Think about Moussaka. So I'm not sure, if it's original or not.

But you are definitely right about one thing: There are far too many Greek restaurants out there and it's hard to find a real good one (same is for Italian restaurants, btw.). The one I ordered at, is always full, no matter what day of the week. That's a good indicator. But it's not the best one I know (that would be near W?rzburg).

However, you cannot rely on what others tell you about restaurants, because basically they will always recommend the restaurants they are used to. Mostly that's the one next to where they live. I got some really crappy recommendations that way. There's no substitute for going out there and making your own experiences.

We have a nice city magazine, called "Scout", that brings background stories about restaurants among other things. So for example I learned that one particular Italian restaurant has a chef, who once was a member of the Italian national cooking team! Needless to say that you should order something else than just pizza or pasta there ;)

I also learned about two restaurants here, that are recommend by Gault Millau. One is part of our new Columbia Hotel in the harbor. Haven't been there yet, though.

Recently I discovered a new Mexican restaurant, which can easily keep up with what I experienced in Texas. Only you shouldn't tell the chef there to make it "a bit more spicy". That could be painful ;) From time to time they offer a "Mexican Night", with an all-you-can-eat buffet and a Mariachi band playing.

I also need to check out a small restaurant in the harbor, which is furnitured like an old sailor's pub and is said to have excellent cuisine.

I'm quite surprised how much choice of good restaurants we have here, given that this is just a town with close to 100.000 inhabitants and not exactly a rich area of Germany. I think much of it is owed to tourism.

The only thing I'm currently missing, is a nice Indian restaurant. But maybe there is already one out there I simply don't know about yet :)

Last edited:
MacGuffin;1181866 Recently I discovered a new Mexican restaurant said:
I am trying to imagine this and... nope, not working for me.

Where did you have Mexican in Texas?

I am trying to imagine this and... nope, not working for me.

Where did you have Mexican in Texas?

In Mexican restaurants...

Sorry but since I wasn't in Mexico so far, I can only relate to the experience that comes closest ;)

Last edited:
It was in 1991/92 and you want me to remember names?

I'm an old man... :lol:

I can only remember that we didn't understand a word from the menu and ordered blindly.

To not take the "cake question" thread any further off-topic...

Yes, but you put mayonnaise on them and that totally ruins the concept so you lost the popularity contest.

:blink: :? :blink: How so?!?

When I tried mayo on french fries for the first time in Germany, I felt as though I had just discovered El Dorado. It's too embarassing to order it, but if a place has mayo packets and I'm by myself, I'll grab one. :p

edit: V I meant here in the US. Order mayo with your fries and people will make some sort of "I can actually hear you getting fat" comment. :p

I always order my fries with mayo -- I have no idea what problem one could have with that.

But wasn't this a cake thread?

Because mayonnaise is disgusting and fried potatoes are best left with simple with salt? Yummm.

/edit

Hotlink fail on my part. :(

But currywurst pommes ftw!

Last edited:
German fast food:

2298156702_2b55931376.jpg

Last edited:
everyone say frikandel, but i've been told the correct naming is frikadel

EDIT: crap, you're correct, wiki tells me the name changed officially in 2005

Where?s the kroket? And the bitterballen? I love Kroket and Bitterballen! At the Moment I always have to have a Kip-sate (chicken with peanut sauce) kroket when I come visit you dutchies ... or a "normal" kroket at least. I have no Idea why Krokets don?t really work in Germany. It?s not like it?s more gross than your avarage currywurst ...

They even sell you a Kroket-Burger at McDonalds in the Netherlands ... they don?t sell currywurst-burgers at McDonalds here ...
40.McKroket.jpg

(not my pic)

Last edited:
^yeah, i quite like the kroketten as well

everyone always laughs with the dutch cuisine because of them, but when i see a vending machine, i get me one :D

and it is kind of weird to get meat out of a wall :?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZzb88VnLS8[/youtube]

and it is kind of weird to get meat out of a wall :?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZzb88VnLS8[/youtube]
yes, automatiek FTW.

I like the concept, especially when it?s late and you are drunk and you can?t order something in dutch anymore, no matter how hungry you are ... with those vending machines you always get your food without having to face a clerk :mrgreen: