Official 2010 F1 Pre-Season Thread

As long as Bernie can find new countries willing to host a race at a time that is convenient for folks in Europe to watch, he really has no reason not to keep putting them outside of Europe.

Abu Dhabi was amazing. So was Singapore. And I love Valencia. I think Sepang would also be better if they added lights and moved it into a "mixed race" like Abu Dhabi was. I know Bernie wants to do the same with Australia, but Melbourne was against it - at least at first, not sure if now.

On the flip side, Magny-Cours was hot and in the middle of nowhere and they neutered the Hockenheimring in order to pack in more seats because of Schumacher, though perhaps Vettel can bring them back.

I think Monaco, Silverstone, Spa and Monza should all be on the annual calendar, period. They are truly legend within Formula One history. And while the S?dschleife isn't the Nordschleife, I could support making the N?rburgring one of the "permanent" European tracks, as well.

If you listen to the interview by Eddie Jordan where all this speculation is starting from. His source is that he saw MS, Brawn, and the Mercedes owner having a conversation... Yea real solid EJ..

I think the fact that Ross Brawn is there has something to do with it. One half of his credit goes to Ferrari, but the other half surely has something to do with Ross Brawn

First of all, I don't think Schumacher is going to return. I think it's extremely unlikely, but we have to admit that there are some little things which could give some hope to MS fans:

- Ross Brawn
- Norbert Haug saying that one of their drivers will be a "surprise" for a lot of people
- MS has stepped down from his "advisor" role within Ferrari and apparently he doesn't have any contract with the race team anymore
- Since August, MS has said several times that he doesn't exclude the possibility of a return once his neck is OK
- this is one of the silliest Silly Seasons ever and I'm starting to believe that anything can happen

But I think these factors are stronger:

- He'll turn 41 in January and hasn't raced in F1 (or in any other series) for 3 years,
- if Kimi is available and willing to sign for them, I don't think they would risk going for MS,
- in August he complained of strong neck pain after testing; he wasn't able to do a race, what's the guarantee that he could drive for a whole season?

Last edited:
Sabine Kehm has stated that he doesnt want to drive for a whole season, and that he doesn't want to be seen as the 'grandad' of F1, which at age 41 he almost certainly would be. She doesn't seem to think it will happen. And from Schumacher himself: ?there?s lots of talk about me returning to Formula One, ? he said. ?I was very close obviously this year to replacing Felipe, but whether I?m going to race in the future or not, we will see. I guess my neck by the end of the year or beginning of next year will be fully fine, but I will be 41 ? and that would make me the grandad of F1! I?m not sure I want that.?

Besides, the cars and the sport have changed greatly since he stepped away in 2006. It was the right time then to do so and I don't think anything can be gained from competing again, especially if he can't keep up with the Hamiltons and the Alonsos, other than his intrinsic satisfaction.

Other drivers, some world champions, in the past have made poor decisions to try to return after a break and found they couldn't cut it against the younger, hungrier competitiors. Alan Jones, Nigel Mansell, and Jcques Villeneuve to name three. For the sake of your legacy Michael, don't do it.

Interesting thing is, Shui doesn't have a super license, hasn't raced this season so he is eligible to participate in "Beginner Testing" sessions in December. Might try out and see how his neck and lap fare.

Last edited:
- Norbert Haug saying that one of their drivers will be a "surprise" for a lot of people

I still put my money on Mika.

The first and second times I dismissed it as a joke, but now a glimmer of doubt is starting to creep in...:p

You know as well as I do it would be an awful idea. I was a very big Hakkinen fan back in the day, but with his 2001 Melbourne crash, he scared himself, which was natural given that he had his family to consider, and for the balance of the season was outperformed by David Coulthard. There were flashes of brilliance such as Britain and Indy, but most of the time he was mediocre and looked as if he'd rather be anywhere but there.

Mika should do commentary instead, to offset all the blabbering people.

- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah?
- Yes.

I'd die a little inside if Schumacher came back to drive a mercedes (I know he raced them before entering F1).

I'd die a little inside if Schumacher came back to drive a mercedes (I know he raced them before entering F1).

To me it would be more weird if he drove a McLaren.

I think he can pull it off. It's different this time, he has all the time in the world to prepare, weeks of testing, no health problems and Ross.

The first and second times I dismissed it as a joke, but now a glimmer of doubt is starting to creep in...:p

I think Mika still has it in him, he did quite well in DTM, especially compared to the ex-F1-Champion's brother ;)

Mika should do commentary instead, to offset all the blabbering people.

- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah?
- Yes.

Maybe that would be even better, but still, i want to see him racing.

If you listen to the interview by Eddie Jordan where all this speculation is starting from. His source is that he saw MS, Brawn, and the Mercedes owner having a conversation... Yea real solid EJ..

Too true...and remember this is the Eddie Jordan who also said his ideal driver line-up would be Ralf Schumacher and Anthony Davidson so his common sense may be slightly lacking.

Honestly, I really can't envision this happening, same with a Hakkinen comeback.

Whatever you're smoking, I want some too!!!

Don't fool yourself, Mika is not gonna return to F1.

Too true...and remember this is the Eddie Jordan who also said his ideal driver line-up would be Ralf Schumacher and Anthony Davidson so his common sense may be slightly lacking.

Honestly, I really can't envision this happening, same with a Hakkinen comeback.

Jokes aside, Ralf Schumacher + Davidson is a deadly combination for any new F1 team. Much better than TRosso's lineup IMO.

Last edited: