[14x02] November 22nd, 2009

[14x02] November 22nd, 2009

• Total voters
ZR1 vs R6 was too SHORT!

It would have been even more entertaining if Clarkson took the time to mention the STANDARD carbon ceramic brakes on the ZR1 in contrast to Audi's Optional set AND the STANDARD carbon fiber panels ETC Build value in the Vette...the magneto shocks...

THEN go on with the hairy bit of the segment where he talks about how mad the car really is despite all the sophisticated gadgetry and materials...as if non of those things can really tame what is inevitably a 638HP engine that just happens to have a chassis strapped on it! THAT would have been epic. But no, clarkson goes straight to writing it off as just another simpleton wayward and VULGAR American that is technically bad but fun? I'm I dont get the vulgar look part...the Vette looks like the proper sports car of the two. The Audi looks like a space ship you call that good looking? LOL

TOP gear is going soft....

Last edited:
getting really tired of seeing them beeing rubbish at things on purpose. Weakest episode in a long time, IMO. While i did chuckle at the reverse filming bit, the whole electric car segment was boring, predictable and a complete waste of time.

Wow, that wasn't really what I was expecting. I can't believe it, but TGAu did the electric car thing better. I dunno, I did laugh but the gags just didn't do it for me. Jeremy's review was as it always is, which is to say brilliant, but nothing especially over the top. I have a hard time seeing those two cars as something you compare anyway. I probably see a dozen Corvettes (of assorted year and model) on any given day but have yet to see an R8. So to me that was comparing something cool to something exotic. None of it really surprised me. Of course Jeremy liked it in the US but didn't like it in Britain. He already said as much last year. The big surprise was that he was as complimentary as he was. It was probably my favorite part of the episode though. SIARPC was good, not stellar, but enjoyable. I just don't know about the electric car thing. Maybe it'll grow on me when I rewatch.

I am amused you can show a cartoon penis at 9pm though. They won't let Craig Ferguson show one here at 11:30 at night. Damn FCC. I totally knew that was coming for Jeremy's face though. Richard had that written all over his face the minute he picked up the paint brush.

Gave it a 6. Not that good of an episode. A few chuckles here and there, average review of the Corvette and R8 but that's it. Was really disappointed with the electric car piece. They could have done so much more with that.

Really surprised that they still haven't mentioned the Bugatti Veyron crashing into the lake in Texas. A fake speeding ticket from one gets a mention, but an actual crash complete with video is ignored.

getting really tired of seeing them beeing rubbish at things on purpose. Weakest episode in a long time, IMO. While i did chuckle at the reverse filming bit, the whole electric car segment was boring, predictable and a complete waste of time.

Agreed! The electric car segment didn't warrant taking up half the episode, though I also did enjoy the reverse filming. The news was AWFUL this week--the low brow penis jokes are really repulsive, especially when you know that they are capable of much wittier, high brow humor that relates to the actual news of the week (though I guess they've been doing this shit for a few years now). The track test was fine; another Jeremy bread and butter review like only he can do. The forced awkwardness is slowly getting worse I'm afraid.

I think this is the first time I found a 'how hard can it be' segment to be not that funny. The 1st half I barely cracked a smile, it was all too predictable. Oh well its still TG, the 3 idiots could watch paint dry and it'd still be good tv.

This episode was a real mixed bag. Parts were snort coffee out your nose funny and other parts were painfully predictable and scripted.

Oh, and Top Gear has been doing low brow penis jokes for years, this is not new, it was just featured more prominently this episode.

Geoff. Right. Fucking hilarious. The two films regarding the homemade electric-mobile is genuinely one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The tests at Millbrook MIRA were absolutely perfectly done and thought up. Proper Topgear cocking about, with some decent ambitious motives with, while predictably rubbish, surprising and excellent in every way.

Fixed.

I'm not sure what I think of this one, really. Methinks a second viewing will clear things up.

It was a great entertainment experiment for me and I particularly enjoyed the HD quality especially during the Corvette/Audi showoff. Also was great fun looking at their first rubbish project, that Lego-looking battery mobile in HD. Cringed during the ride quality test since it looked like Hammond banged his head but it was great fun.

ZR1 vs R6 was too SHORT!

It would have been even more entertaining if Clarkson took the time to mention the STANDARD carbon ceramic brakes on the ZR1 in contrast to Audi's Optional set AND the STANDARD carbon fiber panels ETC Build value in the Vette...the magneto shocks...

THEN go on with the hairy bit of the segment where he talks about how mad the car really is despite all the sophisticated gadgetry and materials...as if non of those things can really tame what is inevitably a 638HP engine that just happens to have a chassis strapped on it! THAT would have been epic. But no, clarkson goes straight to writing it off as just another simpleton wayward and VULGAR American that is technically bad but fun? I'm I dont get the vulgar look part...the Vette looks like the proper sports car of the two. The Audi looks like a space ship you call that good looking? LOL

TOP gear is going soft....

Jeremy never does consumer comparison. Compared to other $100k cars, the Corvette is NOT sophisticated. At all. I can see what he's saying. It is a rather vulgar car, it's loud, rude, and uncontrollable. That's not a proper sports car.

THAT being said, the Corvette and R8 really aren't comparable. They both do SOMEWHAT similar things, but go about completely different ways of getting there. It's like the old episode with the Mustang vs Exige. Yes, you could compare them, but why would you.

My guess is R8 buyers know they want a R8, and Corvette buyers know they want a Corvette and won't even consider the other vehicles in the category. That's what happens when you get above a certain price point; you know what you want, and you go and get it.

Last edited:
Hmm, I wish I didn't read the whole thread.

Anyway, 8/10 from me. All I can is: I lol'd and that's what it's about fortunately/unfortunately.

I don't know how some people didn't find this episode epically hilarious. 10/10:roflmao:

The whole episode was terrible and the last 10 minutes were painful to watch.

100% agreed. even worse, the sole purpose for me registering on this forum, is to say that is the worst episode I have ever seen from Top Gear.

Way too predictable and scripted, it hurts when the script gets to the point where they sound like really bad actors, cause there not, they review cars.

brutal.

I don't know how some people didn't find this episode epically hilarious. 10/10:roflmao:

Same here. On paper it just didn't look so good, but somehow it was one of the funniest episodes I've ever seen...:lol:

I certainly enjoyed it, but it's hardly the best episode ever. I do have to say that Michael Sheen seems to be a very interesting and nice guy, plus he doesn't drive a Prius.

Jeremy never does consumer comparison. Compared to other $100k cars, the Corvette is NOT sophisticated. At all. I can see what he's saying. It is a rather vulgar car, it's loud, rude, and uncontrollable. That's not a proper sports car.

Have you seen or read any other reviews of the ZR1?

I doubt it. :p The car is extremely controllable. Maybe not as much as an AWD mid-engine Audi R8, but for a front engine, rear drive, 640hp super car, it's very well mannered. It's just Jeremy's poor driving style that makes it seem so dangerous. Jeremy can't take a corner without going sideways. He never stops showboating on the track. Believe it or not, not all super cars are setup for drifting.

There were some funny parts, but I would say this episode is average, at best. It's not even on the same level and the first episode of this season, that one was up there with the greats.