Auto Annoyances

24 dollars?!

...maybe later... I have more important stuff I have to fix before I even start thinking about modifying...

Everytime my dads Commodore is parked on a slope, you get back in and the fuel gauge is off the end of the scale and it keeps beeping and flashing "Very Low Fuel" warnings on the screen for a few minutes, until it realises there is actually something in it and the range moves back from 0km to 400km.

The 1st to 2nd gear change on the Surf is annoyingly slow when the gearbox oil is cold, and even when warmed up its not much better.

Also when using my cup holder, I cant access my HVAC controls without removing the beverage and folding the cup holder away.

Last edited:
iPhone doesn't work with the USB port in the dash, car uses Windows "OS" and it does support iPods but isn't compatible with the software on the iPhone -.- and the passenger seat tends to rattle when driving on bad roads, and we have a lot of bad roads here in belgium;

Annoyances about our Subaru-

- Fuel guzzler beyond all belief- don't have mpg, but we could easily go through $200 AUD a week on fuel if we use if even for a couple of days only. And it has to have the high octane stuff put in it too, which is even more expensive
- Constant AWD system- don't need AWD all the time, we mostly drive around on smooth city roads. Just uses up more fuel. My grandma's Suzuki SX4 has an AWD system that you can turn on/off depending on what you are doing/driving on. Much better idea imo.
- Accelerator is a classic auto accelerator pedal- it seems to only want to be pushed down to certain "stages"- hard to explain, but the pedal doesn't go down smoothly, it has different resistances, which means maintaining a constant speed is almost impossible.
- No aux input on the stereo- this a car from circa 2003 and it has a tape deck. WTF, even my grandparents had switched over to CDs by then! CDs on that too can't be mp3 and it doesn't like copied/burnt audio CDs either.
- Lately, it has turned into a pup:
- All the front wheel bearings, CV joints, etc had to be replaced at 105000 kms
- Had a big oil leak which also had to be repaired recently because it was losing oil at an alarming rate
- The auto gear changes have become very shonky of late- they are slow and almost studdering, especially changing down
- The idle speed when stopped has been creeping higher and higher to the point where we have to put it in neutral at the lights because it is nearly impossible to keep it still on the brakes when in drive.
- This weekend, when going down a steep slope (i.e. hill, parking lot), the back right brake made the most horrific screeching sound when braking- a metal on metal sound almost. So either the brake pad has worn down completely (considering it got changed 4 months ago, unlikely) or the stupid thing has broken again. The brakes screech a fair bit normally anyway, but never like this. Might be another $1000 trip to the mechanic.

So yeah, basically we have a heavy, fuel guzzling lump of a car that has decided to become unreliable and is cosing us a ton of money. We are most likely getting a new car within the next 6 months. Still love the car though :lol:

/massive rant.

A bona fide annoyance: the plug for the block heater is in such an angle, that whenever I pull the plug in the morning, I bash my hand on the asphalt 15cm below. This caused me to get a gash on my fingers on Friday, and even with wearing a thick glove this morning I hurt the same exact fingers again.

Low profile tyres annoy the fuck out of me for everyday driving.

Makes me want to put my steelies back on, I don't need ?ber handling braaahhhhh on the street.

Annoyances about our Subaru-

- Fuel guzzler beyond all belief- don't have mpg, but we could easily go through $200 AUD a week on fuel if we use if even for a couple of days only. And it has to have the high octane stuff put in it too, which is even more expensive
- Constant AWD system- don't need AWD all the time, we mostly drive around on smooth city roads. Just uses up more fuel. My grandma's Suzuki SX4 has an AWD system that you can turn on/off depending on what you are doing/driving on. Much better idea imo.
- Accelerator is a classic auto accelerator pedal- it seems to only want to be pushed down to certain "stages"- hard to explain, but the pedal doesn't go down smoothly, it has different resistances, which means maintaining a constant speed is almost impossible.
- No aux input on the stereo- this a car from circa 2003 and it has a tape deck. WTF, even my grandparents had switched over to CDs by then! CDs on that too can't be mp3 and it doesn't like copied/burnt audio CDs either.
- Lately, it has turned into a pup:
- All the front wheel bearings, CV joints, etc had to be replaced at 105000 kms
- Had a big oil leak which also had to be repaired recently because it was losing oil at an alarming rate
- The auto gear changes have become very shonky of late- they are slow and almost studdering, especially changing down
- The idle speed when stopped has been creeping higher and higher to the point where we have to put it in neutral at the lights because it is nearly impossible to keep it still on the brakes when in drive.
- This weekend, when going down a steep slope (i.e. hill, parking lot), the back right brake made the most horrific screeching sound when braking- a metal on metal sound almost. So either the brake pad has worn down completely (considering it got changed 4 months ago, unlikely) or the stupid thing has broken again. The brakes screech a fair bit normally anyway, but never like this. Might be another $1000 trip to the mechanic.

So yeah, basically we have a heavy, fuel guzzling lump of a car that has decided to become unreliable and is cosing us a ton of money. We are most likely getting a new car within the next 6 months. Still love the car though :lol:

/massive rant.

My car has a tape deck and no aux input :dunno:

The gearbox being cold on a winters night/morning so the thing wont freaking go into reverse. Very annoying but always solved after 20 seconds.

...Aaand it's an auto.

Yes and your car is a RWD tinbox, whats your point?

Last edited:
Yes. So was the Marina. There are crap RWD cars.

One of the most annoying things about my car? The remote control that locks - and unlocks - the doors doesn't close/open the trunk, so to do it I've got to use the car's key. I've just discovered this after 3 months having the car, so during that time the trunk was always unlocked, even thought I've always locked all doors with the remote control.

Also, from time to time, a big brown disgusting cockroach tends to appear inside my car. Now, that's really annoying.

^ Have you ever used the tape adapters before? AWFUL sound. Feedback if the volume is turned up and SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH noises if you have it too low.