Euro-NCAP crashes 12 more cars, Toyota Urban Cruiser fails completely.

AiR

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Bulgogi Knedliky 1.6 GDI (Hyundai i30)
Euro-NCAP website is down at the moment so I'll just posta screencap from the PDF released by the Road Administration instead and some whining from Toyota further down.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/11/25/toyotafail.JPG

Toyota is disputing the test methods of safety organisation Euro NCAP after the Urban Cruiser was given a disappointing three-star rating.

The Toyota Urban Cruiser was particularly criticised by Euro NCAP for its Adult Occupant Protection capabilities, for which it scored just 58 per cent.

Dr Michiel van Ratingen, Euro NCAP's secretary general said, "The result from Toyota is disappointing. Consumers should always check when looking to buy new car and not make presumptions about a vehicle's safety performance due to the brand it carries."

However, Toyota is disputing Euro NCAP's test methods. A spokesman said, "Toyota gives priority to building cars that are as safe as possible.

"In 2009, we received a five-star rating for all three new cars that were evaluated by Euro NCAP (iQ, Avensis and Prius).

"We are therefore very surprised that the Urban Cruiser received only a three-star rating from Euro NCAP. As with any other Toyota vehicle, we had submitted the Urban Cruiser to rigorous in-house tests, which indicated that it would secure a five-star rating.

"We are currently investigating the Euro NCAP result in detail, in order to understand why there is a difference between our Toyota assessment and Euro NCAP's rating.

"Together with other car makers, we are also discussing with Euro NCAP certain aspects of their evaluation methodology, which might also explain why the rating is lower than we expected.

"The three-star rating for the Urban Cruiser has been triggered by the "pole side impact" test. During this assessment, the dummy head area deceleration slightly exceeded the demand value of Euro NCAP.

"There is a difference of opinion between us and Euro NCAP on a technical matter, namely peak acceleration of the head area in the Pole Side Impact test.

"Our in-house tests, which are designed to meet the highest safety requirements, indicated that the protection provided by the head curtain airbag would be in line with a five-star Euro NCAP rating.

"Once again, we remain fully convinced that Urban Cruiser is a safe car."

Euro NCAP released results for 10 cars in total. The results were:

• BMW X1 ? Five stars
  • Chevrolet Cruze ? Five stars
  • Chevrolet Spark ? Four stars
  • Citroen DS ? Five stars
  • Infiniti FX ? Five stars
  • Mazda 3 ? Five stars
  • Mercedes-Benz E-Class ? Five stars
  • Vauxhall Astra ? Five stars
  • Peugeot 5008 ? Five stars
  • Toyota Urban Cruiser ? Three stars
  • Volkswagen Scirocco ? Five stars

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/245310/

No Toyota, it's an old car and it's only worthy of three stars.

Last edited:
That really is shit, frankly. Even the woeful Chevrolet Spunk/Matiz got four stars.

meh, the standards are really high these days anyway. My T-bird would probably fold accordion style but I feel safe enough.

And citroen DS? isn't that still in the concept stage right now?

No, the DS3 is to go on sale very soon.

Also, today recalled some Tundras because the spare wheel falls off. Nice.

It's called the Urban Cruiser. You would think it would be specially designed for ramming into something's rear end.

Urban Cruiser sells lots in Norway. Toyota Norway has responded: "It's still very safe on the road"

:lol:

:rofl:

So lets look at this for a minute. Toyota is now less reliable and less safe than competitors.
Soooooo what is the point of buying them again? Even the god awful GM products from a bankrupt company do better.

meh, the standards are really high these days anyway. My T-bird would probably fold accordion style but I feel safe enough.

nope
http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site...VCM1000002fd17898RCRD&vgnextrefresh=1&ID=5973
US crash tests at least, rate it 5 stars so yes, your 96' ford thunderbird is safer than this modern toyota

Last edited:
The link is telling me the feature is not available anymore but either way I never would have guessed my car was particularly safe. just normal lol.

Your links does not work. A 1996 car will of course have difficulty competing with a 2009 car of similar size, it goes without saying.

This really needs to be cross referenced to the general Toyota problem thread. Also, if someone could link the story about the spare tires falling off, that would be great.

/on my phone today.

meh, the standards are really high these days anyway.

For most cars, five stars in the EuroNCAP is an expectation. Look at the current batch - of the 12, 10 got full marks. Some of them were small cars, too. It's not impossible to make 5 star cars. Even getting 4 stars is disappointing, which makes the Toyota's 3 slightly staggering.

And citroen DS? isn't that still in the concept stage right now?

The DS3, the small Citroen 'upmarket' model based on the C3, is confirmed for production. Not sure when it goes on sale, though.

I went and watched the crashing (here), of the cars tested I'd feel least comfortable in the Merc GLK (which is 5-stars) because it looked like it was quite close to tipping in the side impact. Still the Toyota does have some deformation in the pillars, and it's the only one that does.

<---goes over to list of cars from car show and marks off Scion xD
Well, that's one decision made for me. I'm NOT buying a 3 star vehicle. I'm not that good of a driver.

Last edited: