Bucking?

airmenair

I've noticed now that the weather has gotten cooler. My 1994 Integra has been 'bucking' when it's cold. What I mean is that what I say go to work in the morning and take off the car tends to kind of buck, or jerk if I'm trying to hold constant throttle, no matter what gear. If I accelerate it doesn't do this. It usually goes away after I've driven for about 2-3 minutes, but it's really annoying. It's a 5 speed by the way. You guys have any thoughts as to whats causing this?

Warped or glazed clutch?

I was getting somthing similar in my CJ when I bought it.

I doubt it applys to your car, but I'll tell you what it was in mine and see if it helps.

I have an ignition booster in my Jeep, and the wires connections on it were all corroded. Whenever it got moisture on the connection (ie. in the morning) my CJ would go all bucking bronco on me. I cleaned up the connections them put some special conductive grease on the connections to keep the moisture out.

So basically what I'm saying is, it could be your ignition system somewhere having a bad connection.

I had a similar issue that turned out to be a clogged fuel filter, but injection issues could also be the culprit. At your next fillup, dump a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (Techron by Chevron is what my mechanic suggests) in the tank and see if it goes away.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll give try some of that. Also, no, there aren't any check engine lights or any other warning lights on. However, the symptoms do sound like a bad sensor of some sort.

Sounds like your crankshaft position sensor could be slowly dying, a lot of sentras have this problem and it causes bucking, so maybe this helps, post on an teg forum to sure though.

I was driving night before last for about 50 miles and noticed that the bucking was still occuring even when the car was warm, so it seemed to be getting worse. Last night I drove it a short distance again and it was even worse, almost to the point where it was undriveable. At first when I just put my foot on the throttle it evened out, but now there is a noticeable dip in power and it stumbles. I did a little research and found it could be a whole host of things, one being the TPS. However, Honda in their apparent greediness and willingness to screw a customer decided to make the TPS a non replaceable part. So if you go to the parts counter at Honda and ask for a TPS they'll only sell you a throttle body with the TPS attached, which is said to be a $700 part (I haven't actually been quoted on a price, but knowing dealers that doesn't sound too exagerated). Damn that shit pisses me off, it's criminal. I mean a TPS is what a $40-$50 part tops?

Luckily you can buy aftermarket sensors, however you still have to side step Honda's idiocy by dremeling a slot in the fasters that hold the TPS in place in the throttle body so you can actually remove it.

Today I decided to take a look under the hood. I found one interesting thing. Where the intake hose connects at the throttle body I found that the clamp that secures it was loose, really loose. It used a fasterner threaded into a nut welded on the clamp to hold it in place. But the fasterner was MIA and the clamp was just dangling. I reattached it with a new screw and went for a drive. Better than last night but there is still something amiss. I needed to change the oil so when I was at the autoparts store I went ahead and got a fuel filter too. I hadn't changed it since I've owned the car so I figured it would be a good idea.

After changing that it felt better yet, no violent jerking like last night, but still not 100%. Feels like something is missing when I'm accelerating. Next I'm gonna try cleaning the MAP sensor and throttle body and check my plugs. I'll work from there but at least its driveable.

Haven't gotten the new TPS in, however new problem.

I was driving home today and suddenly the car just shut off. I coasted to a side street and tried to start it but got nothing. Just cranking.

What I'm thinking now is it's the fuel pump or a fuel pump related issue like the relay. What do you guys think? This really could not happen at a worse time.

Crank position sensor.

Edit: Need me to come tow it back with the Pathfinder?

Last edited:
It's a classic failure, especially if it isn't setting a code.

I'm looking through my service manual right now and its saying if it fails it will trigger the "Check engine light" or it should anyway. (Check engine light not on) TDC sensor is the same thing I figure? That still the issue?

Oh and I have a friend who was going to help me tow it tonight if need be. Appreciate it though.

EDIT: Actually it's the CKP sensor but what I said above still applies.

Last edited:
If you are sure that you don't need a tow, then.

Also, when a CPS fails, quite often you do not get a code.

Looks like its all nested in with the distributor so I'll need to replace the entire distributor assembly. I'll run some tests with my multimeter when actually have a minute.

Haven't gotten the new TPS in, however new problem.

I was driving home today and suddenly the car just shut off. I coasted to a side street and tried to start it but got nothing. Just cranking.

What I'm thinking now is it's the fuel pump or a fuel pump related issue like the relay. What do you guys think? This really could not happen at a worse time.

My little Honda did that to me. Turned out to be the distributor (entire thing) that just went kaput. Never threw up an error code to the computer, or a hand held computer. Replaced it, all is well.

^ Yea all the TDC/CKP/CKS sensors are integral to the distributor housing from what I've been reading, which is what sounds like went bad. So yep it's looking like a new distributor.