Nissan

Datsun 120Y, from the B-L challenge, proven
Datsun 240/260/280Z
Nissan 300ZX (from Old vs New test)
Nissan 240SX
Nissan 350Z/370Z
All Skylines
and finally, the GTR.

And consistently reliable... sort of (see last entry).

Nissan Sunny :lol:

moris marina!!

670x377Image.jpg

Not sure what is worse: James's new sweater or a 39 year old man wearing a batman shirt. ;)

Check out the gallery on www.topgear.com for more rehearsal footage

The sweater. Definitely the sweater. :nod:

Looks like James has taken up knitting. :blink:

can't wait.... real top gear resuemed.

i like when the 3 are in the same video testing multiple cars, so i'm hoping this will be a lot like that. just real interaction between 3 friends talking about cars like when the go to Isle of man

it allows them to still be dumb, but informative while being dumb :)

There is no real answer to the question "which manufacturer has made the most great cars?"

How can we possibly all agree on what "great" even is? It seems as though everyone has a different way to define great. Personally, I think the W123 is a "greater" car than the W198 but I doubt too many people would see eye-to-eye with me on that. Although if you gave me the choice between those two, I would take the W198 any day of the week because it's far, far more desirable in every conceivable way. Does desirability make a car great?
Is a Toyota Camry a great car? It's certainly very good at what it does and millions of people have used them and relied upon them and loved them.
Is the Ford model T a great car? It's certainly significant from an historical standpoint but personally, I think it was a piece of shit that was designed to be cheap & easy to build and not necessarily easy to live with or use.

Every model that Pagani has ever produced has been great. Does that make them the greatest? Surely Ford have made ten times as many "great" models as Pagani?

It's an arbitrary, pointless and boring line of discussion that will yield no satisfactory finality or resolve and nothing will be learned.

Now, imagine if a jet-powered airplane is sitting on a treadmill and the belt of the treadmill...

Last edited:
There is no real answer to the question "which manufacturer has made the most great cars?"

How can we possibly all agree on what "great" even is? It seems as though everyone has a different way to define great. Personally, I think the W123 is a "greater" car than the W198 but I doubt too many people would see eye-to-eye with me on that. Although if you gave me the choice between those two, I would take the W198 any day of the week because it's far, far more desirable in every conceivable way. Does desirability make a car great?
Is a Toyota Camry a great car? It's certainly very good at what it does and millions of people have used them and relied upon them and loved them.
Is the Ford model T a great car? It's certainly significant from an historical standpoint but personally, I think it was a piece of shit that was designed to be cheap & easy to build and not necessarily easy to live with or use.

Every model that Pagani has ever produced has been great. Does that make them the greatest? Surely Ford have made ten times as many "great" models as Pagani?

It's an arbitrary, pointless and boring line of discussion that will yield no satisfactory finality or resolve and nothing will be learned.

Now, imagine if a jet-powered airplane is sitting on a treadmill and the belt of the treadmill...

I agree with you 100% it can only be opinion bassed and thus biased by each reviewer. there's no possible way for them to have driven every car that's been made for all of time so their test cannot be considered viable.

then there's always the fact that they don't agree on what makes a car great, for example the moms testing cars. The moms made great points about each car, and the 3 presenters just went for what turned their cranks instead of what turned their moms cranks.

It will still be a fun episode, just not a scientific one, and likely not even a correct one :cool:

Oh no, they got the ginger tosser in the reasonably priced car. Shame.

I'm with you. Obivously there is no definable mesure, it's a subjective opinion. I've got a bunch of friends that say Toyota make "great" cars, but I'd stab them for making such a dumb claim, being that I see Toyotas largely as giant washing machines. Lots of people find Hummer desirable because they're "cool" and "massive 'n shit, man!", but that hardly makes it a great car. By any sort of measure it's quite a crap car.

I'd imagine great would be defined by the driving experience and personality. They would probably say something like a Toyota Camry is a "good" car, but it lacks the personality to be a "great" one. However, the issue of "Have most of their cars been great", versus sheer quantity "greatness" is altogether, another issue. But I would think it would be the most consistent amount of "great" cars - there's no real merit for making 10 great cars and making 500 shitty ones.

But to serve my example of a Hummer... Clarkson decided the H2 was shit, but he thought it was "great" because it makes him feel like a child, so on, so forward. But by any sort of logical measure, it's a useless, stupid brick of a car.

So yeah... I'm not really anywhere close to figuring this out either...

EDIT: Maybe we should be looking towards "The Greatest Car in the World" segment as a yardstick? Cars that changed the world, changed the market or just pushed the barriers of engineering were elements that required to compete. There would be no argument that a Land Rover, Mini, Citreon DS are not "great" cars. It still gets messy when you bring it into brands.

Last edited:
Oh no, they got the ginger tosser in the reasonably priced car. Shame.

I'd rather have a ginger tosser who has a fantastic collection of Ferraris than someone who is just there to plug something and doesn't give a shit about cars.

Also, James seems to be getting his fashion tips from Time Team's Mick Aston. Nice.

Last edited:
Must be Lancia then.

James in the hot-air balloon which crashed, this is going to be a good one!

b00p4z1y_512_288.jpg

Here is the image of show 3 and i think it is a Lancia Stratos

Dude, if there is doubt in your mind about what car that is you may be in the wrong place!!! ;)

Welcome, BTW

Last edited:
I'd rather have a ginger tosser who has a fantastic collection of Ferraris than someone who is just there to plug something and doesn't give a shit about cars.

*agree*

Also, James seems to be getting his fashion tips from Time Team's Mick Aston. Nice.

God, so THAT's who he kept reminding me of yesterday at the Toy Fair :lol:
I pointed out on another thread that he asked me what I thought of it and I said well only you could carry it off (best I could do when put on the spot).

Boys, if you want to rush out and buy that jumper, it's possibly by Paul Smith ;)

Heading for a 10/10 so far! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.