Food! [The thread that started this section]

I know I'm late to this, but mayonnaise on french fries is the greatest thing ever.

Eww... I don't know why, I like mayo but can't mix it with potatoes. Or cheese. If I make a ham & cheese sandwich, the mayonnaise goes between the ham and the slice of bread. ALWAYS :mad:

:p

Those cucumbers remind me of Goodbye Lenin where the son chased all over Berlin for a cucumber label from the DDR. She ate them whole too. When I was little stores had barrels with cucumbers swimming around, I didnt understand those. Now they're gone and the cucumbers are sliced.

those aren't cucumebers, but pickles ;)

those aren't cucumebers, but pickles ;)

pickles=cucumbers, though I much prefer pickled cucumbers to fresh.

nevermind if typed in jest

pickles=cucumbers, though I much prefer pickled cucumbers to fresh.

nevermind if typed in jest

no they aren't

pickle
augurk.jpg

cucumber
komkommer.jpg

that's like saying an apple and a pear are the same fruit...

no they aren't

that's like saying an apple and a pear are the same fruit...
Yes the are.

A pickled cucumber, most often simply called a pickle in the United States and Canada, is a cucumber that has been pickled in a brine, vinegar, or other solutions and left to ferment for a period of time. Pickles can be produced by either immersing the cucumbers in an acidic solution or through souring by lacto-fermentation.

A pickled egg is still an egg.

Last edited:
then the US and canada need to widen their knowledge about vegetables, caus they're 2 different kinds. they belong to the same family, but are a different kind (pumkins also belong to the same family)

once again

a pickle (augurk like we call them)
800px-Cucumis_sativus.jpg

a cucumber
komkommer.jpg

and another member of the family, a courgette (don't have clue what it's called in english)
dyn009_original_400_275_pjpeg_2648235_52217d3517037f9fcc493db539287efa.jpg

it's the same like calling a buffalo a cow...

Amazing, what one pic of a humble supper can do... :D

then the US and canada need to widen their knowledge about vegetables, caus they're 2 different kinds. they belong to the same family, but are a different kind (pumkins also belong to the same family)

once again

a pickle (augurk like we call them)
800px-Cucumis_sativus.jpg

a cucumber
komkommer.jpg

and another member of the family, a courgette (don't have clue what it's called in english)
dyn009_original_400_275_pjpeg_2648235_52217d3517037f9fcc493db539287efa.jpg

it's the same like calling a buffalo a cow...

No Buffalo and Cattle only share a Subfamily grouping....Pickles and Cucumbers are the same Species:
Kingdom: Plantae
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Cucurbitales
Family: Cucurbitaceae
Genus: Cucumis
Species: C. sativus

If you were to put the cucumbers you listed in a vinegar and brine solution you would then get a pickle.

The last pic is not an example of the Cucumis Genus, but of the Cucurbita Genus.

Last edited:
Pretty sure we call gherkins "gherkins" and cucumber pickles "pickles" in everyday usage here. If someone's gone all fancy and got some gherkins, they call 'em gherkins to specify.

I made homemade pickles once:

2646_610271254443_9200715_37429698_5437415_n.jpg

The reddish one had Tabasco in the vinegar. Cider vinegar + homegrown cucumbers + homegrown grape leaves + some dill + probably some other stuff I can't remember = noms.

Shall I confuse even more?

Because actually the small pickles I posted in my picture, are called "cornichons" :D

^you slice em up and put them between a "martino"

Martino.jpg

-filet americain prepar?
-mustard
-tabasco
-onjons
-pickles
-ansjovis (anchovis? anshovis? ansjovisjhs? aaaargh)

yummy!

or between a cheesburger at McDonnalds :p

Last edited:
Anchovies? Like the fish?

Why not buy them pre-sliced then?
I side with bones spelling of ansjovis.

this might be slightly offtopic here but as I don?t want to start a new thread for this and this is sort of the "random thoughts" of this forum ... I?ll have my little rant (with food-related-pic) here ...

I really hate this belive of the food & drink industry that simply labeling something as "healthy" will sell it ... and I hate it even more when people fall for it.

Now, a new made-up word to suggest "healthy" has been thrown on the market. It?s "pre-biotic" ... wich seems to be the new "pro-biotic" after that has been debunked as meaningless over and over again in the Media ...

saftcd5d07b3jpg.jpg

<_<

Last edited: