Help me choose a car -- Budget $5000 CDN, RWD, stickshift, preferrably V8

You can get an Sn95 cobra for 5k...

Fox body Mustang or 3rd generation F-body, though you could only get a 305 with those, so I would say a Mustang.

Fox body Mustang or 3rd generation F-body, though you could only get a 305 with those, so I would say a Mustang.

Not true. You could get a TPI 350 with 3rd gens I believe.

The problem with the LT1 F-Bodies is maintenance is a bitch. It should not take two hours to replace a car's spark plugs.

Just out of curiosity how much are GTR's going for in your neck of the woods. The cheapest R32 I've ever seen was like 10K, most go for between 15 and 20K... But if you can... do it! Epic cars they are.

My old boss used to have one with 400whp.

Just out of curiosity how much are GTR's going for in your neck of the woods. The cheapest R32 I've ever seen was like 10K, most go for between 15 and 20K... But if you can... do it! Epic cars they are.

:p

Well, he still does have it. he's just not my boss anymore. :cool:

Well then I'll assume you stole it and died gloriously at the end of the police chase.

sure, let's go with tha - *boom*

The problem with the LT1 F-Bodies is maintenance is a bitch. It should not take two hours to replace a car's spark plugs.

That's what I keep hearing that the back 2 are a PITA to get at.

Not true. You could get a TPI 350 with 3rd gens I believe.

350s came with auto unless owner swapped in the 5-speed. That's what everybody tells me. Clean 3rd gens go for more than clean 4th gens here.

I found a few in the 7k range in the Toronto/Ottawa area. I'm talking about a 94 which has a little bit of an odd style to it but it is different than anything else on the road. Now I don't know if that was an R33 since I don't know the year breakdowns for each of the GTRs.

Yah, 1994 would have been an R33. That explains some then.

Yah, 1994 would have been an R33. That explains some then.

R32 was still in production in 1994. V-spec 2 was introduced in February 1994. The R33 GT-R was introduced in 1995. ;)

R32 was still in production in 1994. V-spec 2 was introduced in February 1994. The R33 GT-R was introduced in 1995. ;)

R33 Non GTR was available in 1994 though was it not?

So this one is a R32 but with a R33 shell? This is what is confusing me. Or is it because it is a GTS. I'd get a GTS as long as it has the RB26 in it.

1993 Skyline GTS-T

I looked around on our biggest carsite... around 5k? (which is alot more than 5K$, but whatever) you're in BMW E46 320d territory. I did find one that was "kinda want" because it was a 330Cd, but still... nothing really close to what you can get it Canadaland

And no V8s to be seen

edit : I stand corrected (although it is an auto)

530i/5 or 540i/6 are perfect if you want an E34 in stick shift with a V8. The 540i/6s are a harder find, but from my lurking on bimmer forums it's definitely achievable for that sort of money. If you're really lucky, you might find a 540i/6 LE M-Sport, which is M5 suspension bits with the M60B40 V8. But I don't think you'll find it for that cheap!

525i/5 is also a good bet, it's a 2.5l I6 and it's not to bad from what I hear.

But if you do go towards E34s... be careful, can be a moneypit!

@Mischief007 It'd be a RB25DET. The Skyline you will find a RB26 of any kind is a GTR, if I'm not mistaken.

So this one is a R32 but with a R33 shell? This is what is confusing me. Or is it because it is a GTS. I'd get a GTS as long as it has the RB26 in it.

1993 Skyline GTS-T

That's a GTS - T. So it is the RB26 with a single turbo. The GTR is twin turbo and the GTS is non turbo. IMO the only good ones are the GTR's. I wouldn't bother with even a GTS-T. But that's probably because I'm torque hungry.

That's a GTS - T. So it is the RB26 with a single turbo. The GTR is twin turbo and the GTS is non turbo. IMO the only good ones are the GTR's. I wouldn't bother with even a GTS-T. But that's probably because I'm torque hungry.

GTST comes with a RB25 not a RB26. Nissan equivalent of 1jz whereas the RB26 is the equivalent of a 2jz.

R32
GTS - RB20DE
GTST - RB20DET
GTS4 - RB20DET 4WD
GT-R - RB26DETT 4WD

R33
GTS - RB25DE
GTST - RB25DET
GT-R - RB26DETT 4WD

R34
GTS - RB25DE
GT-T - RB25DET
GT-R - RB26DETT 4WD

Last edited:
Why hasn't anyone said Miata yet? It might not have power, but you'll be driving on the right side of the car, you will not look like a douche bag for driving the Skylines (every SINGLE Skyline I have seen in Canada is driven by a 20 something year old with a flat baseball hat turned to the side and with a big exhaust hanging out the rear) and you will prove your manliness by driving a car that is not compensating for anything.