Random Thoughts....

Ugh, can't stand reading long passages of text on a computer. The printing and book publishing industry will remain alive solely because of my efforts.

I doubt that. I keep them well in the money too. I love my hard copy books. I refuse to get a Kindle. There's just nothing like the smell and feel of a book, whether it's the brand-new, gluey, inky smell and crisp, crackly pages of a new book, or the musty, dirty smell and fragile, floppy pages of a well-worn book. And I love hard copy books because I can see how much I've read and how much I still have to go. Like a little progress bar.

Digital media will never replace ink and paper. It's just not durable enough.

Ok, so I've been trying to fix up a couple of turntables for a week. They have crazy fluctuations in speed when they turn, so I thought a good cleanup of the circuits and a good oiling will do the trick ... well, it helped, but did not cure the problem. So that means I'll have to go into the circuit boards and figure out which part is causing the disturbance in this case. It has to be something in the power flow that goes to the motor. I exhausted everything else, so it must be it. Oh yeah, and this is going to take longer than a week, unfortunately. :(

What type of mechanism controls the pitch? Also, what model?

Ok, so I've been trying to fix up a couple of turntables for a week. They have crazy fluctuations in speed when they turn, so I thought a good cleanup of the circuits and a good oiling will do the trick ... well, it helped, but did not cure the problem. So that means I'll have to go into the circuit boards and figure out which part is causing the disturbance in this case. It has to be something in the power flow that goes to the motor. I exhausted everything else, so it must be it. Oh yeah, and this is going to take longer than a week, unfortunately. :(

Assuming direct drive and not belt drive? If they're belt drive, replacing the belts (with actual proper model specific belts, not the one size fits a bunch things) usually fixes that.

Aye. Physical books for life. I have no desire to ever read a book on a computer, and kindles and kindle ripoffs are just... why? Why? What's wrong with a nice fat book? A book will never run out of power. A book usually has a neat cover to look at. A pile of books has many uses, including weighing things down, flattening things, hitting things, making short people taller when they sit down, et cetera. And when you have a bunch of books you can fill up a bookshelf and say "look at all those books" and let people know how awesome you are. With a kindle, when you have a bunch of ebooks you can say "look at this index of books" which is not impressive in any way.

And I just turned on the space heater in my basement (because it gets super cold down here) for the first time this year. The scent of dust being burned off is always gross. One time when I was at a hotel someone accidentally turned on the heaters (it wasn't cold) and the burning dust set off the fire alarm. We didn't bother going back to the room, just left to go eat dinner.

Going Rogue, chapter 26: Hot Pig-on-Pig Action

(That's actually a metaphor.)

Alternatively, I was going to buy her book and read it for the lulz, and make sure I keep the receipt. I should probably ask Borders about their return policy, and myself if I want to subject myself to the brain-numbing horror. But at least I can have a coherent answer when I rant about how much she sucks and someone says, "have you even read her book?"

It's rare to find people who will actually read/listen to the other side. Rush Limbaugh and Bill Maher aren't going to provide a fair look at both sides of the issues.

Ugh, can't stand reading long passages of text on a computer. The printing and book publishing industry will remain alive solely because of my efforts.

I doubt that. I keep them well in the money too. I love my hard copy books. I refuse to get a Kindle. There's just nothing like the smell and feel of a book, whether it's the brand-new, gluey, inky smell and crisp, crackly pages of a new book, or the musty, dirty smell and fragile, floppy pages of a well-worn book. And I love hard copy books because I can see how much I've read and how much I still have to go. Like a little progress bar.

Digital media will never replace ink and paper. It's just not durable enough.

I have a stack of about 30 Star Wars and Mass Effect and Star Trek books that have all been purchased in the last ~10 months. I've got the sci-fi genre afloat all my own. :p

That doesn't even count all the other books I have.

The only appeal I can see in Kindle is getting a million books to fit in the palm of your hand; less space on bookshelves, less money spent on hardcover first editions, and less paper consumed (if you're really concerned about that). It's also a convenient way to read periodicals on a regular basis. For some people it can actually stand to save them a lot of money.

On paper it definitely seems brilliant. Execution leaves a lot to be desired, however; we just haven't approached the technological standpoint where we can feel confident in tossing out the printed word entirely. And while I see how it can be useful, it definitely isn't for me.

The only appeal I can see in Kindle is getting a million books to fit in the palm of your hand; less space on bookshelves, less money spent on hardcover first editions, and less paper consumed (if you're really concerned about that). It's also a convenient way to read periodicals on a regular basis. For some people it can actually stand to save them a lot of money.

On paper it definitely seems brilliant. Execution leaves a lot to be desired, however; we just haven't approached the technological standpoint where we can feel confident in tossing out the printed word entirely. And while I see how it can be useful, it definitely isn't for me.

Kindles are popular with travelers because you only need the little machine rather than stuffing your bags with multiple paperbacks.

Otherwise, I see no use for it. I'll keep my bookshelves, thanks.

I have about 20 books on my ipod touch in PDF format. I also however, have most of the same books on my bookshelf.
Lemme tell you, if you are working a long late retail shift you see the point of ebooks preeeetty quick. Lot harder for your boss to yell at you! :lol:

Though another use is some books aren't even worth the trip to the library, like the sara palin one, like when I wanted to read the last book of harry potter because I started reading them when I was 10 and thought I might as well read the end. Most people use the pirated ebook method for twilight to see why the hell people are talking about it.

I see use for E-Books for collage students .... not having to carry around a tonne of books will be nice... you can then get more things than just the course literature... that's what I'd use one for at any rate. As I too love hard copies of books... and none of the e-readers have good enough screens/response time just yet.

^ Also awesome. My web class has an e-book of the text, and since I am lugging a laptop around I am greatful for that.

I have an entire internet at my disposal but when I really need to know the RIGHT answer to an important question, I drag my sorry ass downstairs to my bookshelf and find it in the dozens of pounds of paper college textbooks. I had a couple of paperless classes actually, and they were all stupid because all we did was print everything out anyway. I find it difficult to read anything longer than an email online, especially when it's poorly formatted and I have to highlight the text to keep from getting lost. There's something about how I can physically flip through and scan a book that I can't manage to replicate online. Maybe it's just practice/experience, but I'm hooked to them as well.

Ok, with all this book talk, I have to chime in even though I have read about 12 books in my entire life (90% of those video game books).

No electronical device can equate to how i felt while reading "The Great Gatsby," I was reading about the part where he feels the warm breeze right before dusk and hears the birds...which happen to happen to me at that exact moment, it was extremely immersive and something that I wouldn't have felt holding onto a tablet thingy with books on it.

Yeah it wasn't anything special, but it was an interesting feeling while reading a book I really enjoyed.

I actually feel the same way about libraries too. I LOVE libraries. I love that I know exactly how they work. I love that I can find what I'm looking for or if I can't it's because it's NOT THERE, not because I didn't massage it in just the right way. There's an intelligent person working there who can help me if I need it (and is it just me or are librarians genetically nicer) and it's just a nice place to be. There's something about the defined, confined nature of libraries and books as opposed to this great expanse of the internet. There are chairs and windows and snooty people who shush you if you talk. Oh wait I might be the snooty person... I can walk into any library and know how to handle myself in <2 minutes. Is it set up library of congress or dewey decimal? Do I want fiction or non? A quick walk around and I have the entire place sorted in my mind and wrapped around my finger. You can browse a library in a way the net will never, ever match. Searching just isn't the same. Good lord it took me 10 years to unhook myself from the card catalog! I don't think I'll ever get off books and libraries.

I just bought Black Stig's book on an impulse buy. "All right, going to stay focused and go Christmas shopping for other peop--oooooh, they have this? Here?!"

I think I'm worse in bookstores than I am in department stores with whole areas devoted to shiny things. And I LOVE shiny things. :D

I can see the appeal of e-books, but I get hideous migraines if I read a computer screen for too long. I hate classes that do a lot of printouts, too, because I end up printing everything out, too. I wish those profs would custom-order a compilation text for those of us who realize that we'll spend the $40 on printer ink and paper printing it out, but still offer the articles via digital copy for students with less money and less brainhurt, haha. And no compy screen can compare to reading a physical book (and/or falling asleep with said book on your face in the communications building lounge).

This is the second day in a row I've gotten distracted by something I want. Yesterday, it was Good Omens. Oh, Christmas. Sigh.

Last edited:
I adore the old, big ,slightly stuffy libraries you get at Universities and big cities ...... bonuspoints if they have those ladders on wheels to get to the top shelfs ;)
But seriously though, if an appocalipse ever comes and you can save a bunch off people but limited cargo , (next to supplies obviously), just take the contents of one of these....there's the whole human history, everything we have ever done, everything we have ever known and details on everything we have ever build or fabricated....that's the essence of humanity right there :)

Last edited:
Do pigs ever get a fizzing sensation behind their curly bits? Haha.