Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

You have the option of printing it off yourself, which will mean you scaling everything down to whatever paper size you can print at or you can send it off to be printed. If you're printing large I recommend you find web service with the ability to print at roughly the size you require, high street printers will charge you a lot more than anyone on the web.

Thomas, I don't understand what you're saying. Is it what hans thinks or is it a photoshopped panograph thing on a single piece of A1? Because photoshop can print anything from a stamp to a billboard, you just have to change the size. On the print screen just set it up for A1 size paper (I'm not seeing a preset so you'll probably have to enter in the dimensions manually) and then scale up the image (just change the DPI)

Finally made my way into making a blog. Woho!

Finally made my way into making a blog. Woho!
I could write a long response to your blog post, but I can't be bothered. Here's the tldr: yes direct flash always looks like arse; but a flat-out nonacceptance of flash, even when used properly (off-camera, balanced and complimenting available light) is usually an excuse to avoid admitting you don't know anything about how to use flash properly.

Jus' sayin' ;)

Unless it starts snowing while I'm asleep I'm going to set up some timelapse-izing-o-matic-ness of snowfall. Just have to figure out the best window to setup a camera in.

I could write a long response to your blog post, but I can't be bothered. Here's the tldr: yes direct flash always looks like arse; but a flat-out nonacceptance of flash, even when used properly (off-camera, balanced and complimenting available light) is usually an excuse to avoid admitting you don't know anything about how to use flash properly.

Jus' sayin' ;)

First of all, you should read what I actually wrote, I never say I'm condemning flash, I'm just saying that if it's avoidable, it's BLOODY SILLY to light people moving and interacting with other people in the real world with a flash. :p

As for lighting portraits, I won't call myself a Kirk Tuck, but I don't think I'm really THAT bad.

kenneth-04.jpg

People are starting to ask me for prints :)

Do you think this sounds reasonable for print prices? (unframed)

Code:
4 x 6       $5.00
5 x 7       $8.00
8 x 10     $15.00
11 x 17    $30.00
14 x 18    $40.00

Unless it starts snowing while I'm asleep I'm going to set up some timelapse-izing-o-matic-ness of snowfall. Just have to figure out the best window to setup a camera in.
So, I've been way down south since yesterday, how's the white stuff treatin' ya? :D

Last edited:
meh, didn't start until a little bit before I got up and now it's stopped. I can still see the grass. :/

Speaking of flash, I still think the menu on most speedlights is about the least intuitive thing in the known universe. All camera manufacturers have entirely nailed their in camera menus but flashes are a different story. Every time I want to do something different with my SB800 I have to pause a while and read through the wonderful manual. After some hours I realise that I need to do a bizarre dance while incense stuck at my nose just to get it into manual mode (which I like, a lot). Then I read on t'internet about how amazingly versatile Nikon's TTL system is and know that I must try it once again. The vicious circle of flash failures continue.

Also, for such a complicated and somewhat irritating thing I feel strobe is far too cool a name to use.

They look very good.
Any chance of getting the second photo in a higher resolution?

Last edited: