Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Anyone have any preference between Tomtom and Garmin sat navs? I've read that Garmins seem to be better, but going by the pictures I think that the Tomtoms have a more clear layout. Garmins are also cheaper.

Hmm...Petabytes would be "Pets"...that's easy, but Terabytes...nothing really stands out as an obvious choice.

I guess it would have to be Teras or maybe mangle it into Tebs. Ters is just awkward.

Anyone have any preference between Tomtom and Garmin sat navs? I've read that Garmins seem to be better, but going by the pictures I think that the Tomtoms have a more clear layout. Garmins are also cheaper.

Avoid Garmin in Europe, somehow they do not work as well as Tomtoms. They will get you where you want to be but the path they try to take is rubbish. You can clearly see the main road with a sign for where you want to go, BUT the Garmin unit will ask you to take that little lost road no one has ever heard of and I suspect isn't even on a map. Not a big deal, just get on the big road instead I hear you say? Well, no... If you don't follow the directions, it will manage to find another small road, and another one, and another one... it gets bloody annoying after some time.

There is a reason why they are cheaper :-D

I love love LOVE my Garmin. When I bought it several years ago I went to a bunch of stores until I found one with lots of models out on the floor and tried to program them as is, no manual or anything. At this time I had never owned a GPS system and had only used a rental car unit once so I was pretty n00b. The only ones I could do that with were the Garmins. Interestingly, here Garmin is usually quite a bit more expensive than TomTom. I actually had my dad buy a Garmin to replace his Magellen and I love his too. Not sure what he thinks of it or if he's even used it though. I just find them very easy to program, work with, and drive to.

The only complaint I have is that it seems to take forever to connect to the satellite. So when I go out for a drive I always plug it in before hand so it's ready to use in case I get lost (rare but it makes me feel good to have the backup). If I waited until I was actually lost, it feels like an eternity waiting to connect. I will still replace my Garmin with another in a year or two. It's cheaper to buy a new unit than to update the maps regularly. I have no regrets about it.

TomTom FTL

I just don't like their whole interface. I'd say use Mio :p

Eh, another lightweight Linux or maybe Windows XP. *buntu is more demanding than XP nowadays, in my experience (at least out of the box).

EDIT: What's the hardware?

Yeah, Unless Xubuntu is way more lightweight than Ubuntu, it will struggle. XP would be doable but I'm sure you could do better with one of the "hardcore" linux distros that I know almost nothing about, given time and effort.

I guess it's free so you might as well try it. Chrome OS seems too early and limited to use seriously.

Last edited:
Is there any way to get Windows Media Player or VLC to open up on the "main" monitor, even if it was previously closed on the extended desktop?

So it's opening on the non-existant second monitor, therefore you can't see it? Try right clicking on the taskbar icon and messing stuff like Maximize, or right clicking on the taskbar and choosing 'tile windows horizontally/vertically.' Don't know how to change the default behavior if that's what you're asking though.

You could also install UltraMon (it has a trial) and then you get "Move to Other Monitor" in the right-click menu :cool:

Is there any way to get Windows Media Player or VLC to open up on the "main" monitor, even if it was previously closed on the extended desktop?

extend desktop -> open vlc -> move it to "main" monitor -> close it -> try if worked?

Sorry. Should have clarified.

My "extended desktop" is my TV on the other side of the room, which isn't always turned on. Let's say that last night, i was watching TG on the TV while the SO is using the computer. The show ends, so I switch over to NBC for a while before I turn off the TV and go to bed. VLC is closed while it's open on that 2nd monitor, even though that TV has been turned off. The next morning, i turn on the computer, and want to watch a video clip, so I click the link...VLC opens, but it's on the other screen thats turned off. Now I have to go across he room to turn the TV on, change the source, drag the player back over, and hope I remember to "un-maximize" before I close it, of else it'll open up back over on the 2nd monitor again.

There should be some sort of option in "properties" where you can make it only open on the "main" screen all the time...like how you can tell it to always open a program maximized.

I used UltraMon for a while, but I couldn't get it to jive with my TV for some reason.

Speaking of UltraMon, is there a way to get it to play nice with docking and undocking? I was using it at work for a while, and every time I would do either, everything went to hell. Extended desktop doesn't have any problem with it, but I do like that UltraMon is more powerful.

God damn Win 7 64bit install on the MB pro is slow...

Chrome isn't really finished yet, so that's a definite no.

Agreed, also Chrome OS is geared toward a specific set of hardware, mainly netbooks with really fast SSD drives. :)

Last edited:
I finally figured out how to use my second monitor at work together with the laptop.
I am now coming to you from a dual screen setup

/noob