Autoblog: Most popular paint colo(u)rs for cars

My first car was silver. My current car is black. As are my two bicycles. The last car in my whole extended family that wasn't silver, black or a really dark shade of blue was a red Audi Cabrio...

Generally speaking, sports cars (including the "hot" versions of otherwise ordinaray cars) can pull off colours like white, atomic green (Lambo/Focus RS) or red (Ferrari). City cars (Fiesta-sized and smaller) can pull off flashy colours, too (think purple Fiesta). Normal-sized cars have to be black, silver, or dark blue.
There are exceptions, of course (like British Racing Green on British cars or Canary Yellow on a Seat Leon).

/me feels the need to listen to The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black...

Brown-ish M5's look good imo..

m5bronze8.jpg

And so does this Imprezza

mars1.jpg

:)

^looks awesome on the 5er, hideous on the sub imho

i've always liked this color
34.jpg

and there is one type of fading colour i realy like, sth like this
dfvck6.jpg

it's blue, but on some angles, and in certain light, it's purple!

Last edited:
All my cars have been classic Japanese bright red, but white works very well on some cars, imo.

But even if the colour were quite unsuitable on some used car and it would still be a very good example, I could practically live with every ordinary colour there is.

NEWSFLASH : most people buy dull and boring colours for their cars, because they are dull and boring and don't care. More at 11!

(I actually hate my own car colour for the same reason, the only upside is that it can absolutely filthy and you wouldn't notice it, unless you start drawing penises writing on it with your finger)

Well my cars are silver and black and my bikes are/were silver and black.
A really dark gray can look good as well. Only sporty cars can pull that look off though.

There are awesome shades of brown avalible on some cars. Green is another underestimated colour, it can range from vividly toxic to chameleon-like, even making them look blue.

My Lincoln is a darkish green (obviously green in daylight), but at night under dim lighting it turns a really cool green-blue color.

Toyota - Black

Camaro - Black on black

Miata - Black on black

I swear i dont even like black, it just always happens that way. I want a white car :cry:

(I actually hate my own car colour for the same reason, the only upside is that it can absolutely filthy and you wouldn't notice it, unless you start drawing penises writing on it with your finger)

Ok
*draws penises on your car*

Yellow FTW! Love it or hate it, it usually depends on the car to pull it off.

I find that sticking a round yellow lemon right in front of someone generally tends to excite notice. Even on the bike, it gives more visibility at both day and night time... especially when it's an armada of yellow bikes moving in unison (I think the record was 4 yellow bikes: two 250s, one '00 VFR, and a Ducati 748). :D

Last edited:
I'm suprised that their aren't more cars with tiger stripes, or daisies.

I'm gonna paint my car something funky in the next couple of years.

I can vouche for the silver invisibility. In my civic I had more close calls and bumps from other people than ever. I actually started blaming myself, but then I started driving a different car and nothing would happen. Silver - Bad

Absolutely! When I drive my parent's Accord, which is very silver, people don't see me and I've been nearly sideswiped 3 or 4 times in the past few months.

When I buy myself a new car it's gonna be like orange.

I really wish that orange and yellow were still available on the X-Terra.

I'm told that around 70% of Vauxhall Corsa C's were black. Thats an awful lot.

Still I think when given a good polish and wax black cars look stunning.

I really wish that orange and yellow were still available on the X-Terra.

I don't know whether they ran the commercail in your area, but I remember a commercial for teh WJ Grand Cherokee and the TJ where they made fun of the fact that Nissan and toyota's came in such vibrant colours so that they were easier to find when they got stuck out in the bush. :p

Was the Compass offered in bright orange then?

Should be, mind you, these ads were before Jeep introduced all those Non-Jeep vehicles.