The Stargate Universe Thread

I'll be surprised if it makes it to the end of this series..

I for one still think this show has a lot of promise based on the premise.

I don't know how much experience the rest of you have watching sci-fi series, but the first couple seasons of many excellent series were pretty terrible.

Lets look at the some stuff in the past

Star Trek: TNG - early seasons (which i watched in reruns) were AWFUL compared to the later seasons
Star Trek: DS9 - same thing, the show was pretty horrible until season 3
Star Trek: Voyager - this show took even longer before it got interesting
Stargate: SG-1 - i just finished rewatching season 1 on DVD and it was pretty pedantic compared to the later seasons

BSG was one of the few recent sci-fi series that really grabbed me right from the start.

I really like the treatment of SG:U, and i recognize the same growing pains in establishing premise, characterizations and plot before they can start doing regular serialized plots and have big story arcs.

Many folks who pan it are simply too impatient or don't like slowly developing stories. I've noticed this as of late.

I for one still think this show has a lot of promise based on the premise.

I don't know how much experience the rest of you have watching sci-fi series, but the first couple seasons of many excellent series were pretty terrible.

Lets look at the some stuff in the past

Star Trek: TNG - early seasons (which i watched in reruns) were AWFUL compared to the later seasons
Star Trek: DS9 - same thing, the show was pretty horrible until season 3
Star Trek: Voyager - this show took even longer before it got interesting
Stargate: SG-1 - i just finished rewatching season 1 on DVD and it was pretty pedantic compared to the later seasons

BSG was one of the few recent sci-fi series that really grabbed me right from the start.

I really like the treatment of SG:U, and i recognize the same growing pains in establishing premise, characterizations and plot before they can start doing regular serialized plots and have big story arcs.

Many folks who pan it are simply too impatient or don't like slowly developing stories. I've noticed this as of late.

Stargate SG1 in season 1 had alot of stargate travel. It had bad to awful sometimes sexist jokes but they were funny. Characters in that show worked well together and even in season 1 they evolved a littlebit. SGU has shown none of the usual Starg?te elements the fans of the show like and kept them glued to the screen.

I can only speak for myself and I don't think I am impatient. SGU so far has been a major let down.

You kind of hit it on the head there. The fanboys are all like: IT'S NOT THE SAME, FUCK THIS SHIT.

The haters all just want explosions, the haters are the same people who hated the later seasons of BSG because it wasn't about explosions. Of course, BSG was never about the explosions, but the haters don't appreciate drama and never realised that.

In any case, why would you expect them to be randomly gating to random worlds? They don't have control over the ship yet (and if they did get control early on you'd have an equal number of people bitching that they jumped the shark).

Stargate SG1 in season 1 had alot of stargate travel. It had bad to awful sometimes sexist jokes but they were funny. Characters in that show worked well together and even in season 1 they evolved a littlebit. SGU has shown none of the usual Starg?te elements the fans of the show like and kept them glued to the screen.

I can only speak for myself and I don't think I am impatient. SGU so far has been a major let down.

It had a lot of stargate travel but little actually happened except for the developing subplot with Apophis, most of the eps were 'jump to this world A, meet offworld humans wearing exotic costumes B, created weird story conflict to be neatly resolved C' repeat.

Not until later when running arcs like the Asgard, fully fleshed out System Lords, Ori and the Ancients did SG-1 create a continuous mythology and really find its strength.

You kind of hit it on the head there. The fanboys are all like: IT'S NOT THE SAME, FUCK THIS SHIT.

The haters all just want explosions, the haters are the same people who hated the later seasons of BSG because it wasn't about explosions. Of course, BSG was never about the explosions, but the haters don't appreciate drama and never realised that.

In any case, why would you expect them to be randomly gating to random worlds? They don't have control over the ship yet (and if they did get control early on you'd have an equal number of people bitching that they jumped the shark).

It's not about fanboyism IMO. Fact is that this series has lost all of the elements that made Stargate SG1 and Atlantis good. It's just a crappy show the end IMO. So far there's been nine episodes where nothing, absolutely nothing, has happened. It seems like they have forgot that they tried to create some mythology. I have absolutely no reason to think they should explore gates because no other reason than survival on the ship and lack of materials food& other stuff has been presented. Fail. They haven't even tried to come up with a reason to use the gate.

In the beginning they tried to imply that the ship knows what the people on board need... not any more. They instead chose to have someone fuck someone.

I forget the episode number where there was some kind of ship at the end that flew away from Destiny. Right at the end just before the credits. They have yet to continue this part of the story. They instead chose to have someone fuck someone.

Episode 8 was exciting but it never continued and it was left there... it never continued. In episode 9 again nothing happened. And again someone was fucking someone. Right at the end, some woman never seen before... and a crazy soldier.

Everyone thinks Roush is hiding something but they have yet to tell us anything more about how this part of the plot is going. Instead they focus on having the entire cast cry, screw, go nuts and fiddle with some stones. The only characters names I remember are Eli and Young and Rush. Everyone else is jus gray area. Not a good thing. Young is a crappy example of a military leader rewatch the episode where they attempt the plan to return to earth if you don't understand.

Face it no matter how you look at it all they have done so far is fuck, fiddle with some stones and cry. They start these small plots and newer end them. When are they going to continue them, after viewers forget all about it? It is a bad sign if a crucial plot is not continued. It is bad if you name a TV Show "Stargate-(input name of show here)" in a SciFi franchise where viewers are used to gate travel... and you have no gate travel. There is WAY TOO MUCH DRAMA in this show and no humor, no laughing... This is a Bad SciFi show IMO. And you have no idea how hard it is to call it SciFi because most of the time they spend their time in... the modern world thanks to the fucking stones.

It is true that SGU is not a spinoff I realize this but as I am sure you know every SciFi franchise has it's "thing", bad and corny jokes with fast paxced action are as much part of Stargate as Spaceships and phazers are of StarTrek. They could have renamed the show to something entirely different than a Stargate show. It's not like they use the fucking thing, remove the round circular thing from the set and change the name of the show to The Three Lost Stones in Space: Drama.

Last edited:
That shuttle that flew off was when Scott and some others were taking a shuttle out for a test flight early in the next episode.

So, did anyone else watch tonight's episode?

What the fuck are they going to do to get Rush out of this? I mean, are you fucking kidding me? At least there is finally Alien tech that isn't ancient, however, the ship is at FTL, and I don't think Rush will be rebuilding that junker that is half buried in the side of the mountain.

Well, what do you think happened to the tubby scientist? Maybe they'll be able to fly the ship finally and go back for Rush if he comes to?

Watching it now,

another boring episode about irrelevent crap.

Days of our stargate goes on.

The latest installment of the 'Stargate' franchise, 'Stargate Universe,' seems to be faring well with viewers who have no history with the franchise, whereas longtime fans who started with the original 'Stargate' series and stuck with it through 'Stargate SG-1' and 'Stargate Atlantis' (as well as the many other videos and incarnations) are hoping for more.

While the show certainly has plenty of admirable attributes, there's always room for improvement. So we decided to help out the cast and crew with a few ideas that will not only make 'Stargate Universe' better, but make it the best show on TV right now. We know it's a tall order, but we're up for it.

1. Pick a direction. Is 'Stargate Universe' supposed to be dark like 'Battlestar Galactica'? Playful like 'Firefly'? Inventive like 'Doctor Who'? All of the above? The show seems to be all over the place in terms of both overall feel and storyline. One week they're dealing with nefarious swirling sands and the next it's a 'Predator'-type plot on a jungle planet. We realize that shows have to move fast to secure good ratings early on, but it needs a little more focus.

2. Make something happen. And yet, even though the stories are all over the place, 'SGU' manages to be all talk and no action. Yak, yak, yak, let's talk everything into the ground and never do anything exciting. It's like Woody Allen in space. Even the jungle planet episode ('Life') was lots of talk and not enough tension. 'Stargate Universe' meanders way too much; it's downright boring at times. You could nod off for an episode or two and not miss anything important. At least throw in an interesting alien or two.

3. Resolve something. We hate to keep picking on that jungle planet story, but that particular one left us, well ... unsatisfied. Unlike shows such as 'Fringe' or 'Lost,' we don't have any assurances that the long-term story will pick up these unresolved threads later on. What was the deadly virus? What the heck happened after the credits rolled and it seemed as if the entire crew would perish? And in case you're wondering, yes, we did watch the show. The time jumping was a little goofy.

4. Stop with the one-dimensional characters. The genius scientist with long hair and a sad past and no people skills (Robert Carlyle as Dr. Rush); the nerdy kid who cracks a code and ends up on the spaceship (David Blue as Eli Wallace); tough-guy military types with guns; strong silent guys in charge; gorgeous female crew members ... while there's nothing wrong with any of these characters, it's just all too pat. We realize that Nathan Fillion is busy with 'Castle,' but if you could create a character like Mal Reynolds -- or any of the crew onboard the Serenity, for that matter -- that would be super.

5. Up the realism factor. The ship is out of water, so they find a planet with plenty of water and everything will be alright. Really? They're going to transport enough water to keep the crew hydrated for who knows how long? You could drive a spaceship through some of the plot holes on 'SGU.' And let's not forget the implausibility of a massive ship that's been languishing in space for possibly thousands of years that has one day or so of air left when the crew gates in. And yes, we understand as Dr. Rush explained it, the Ancients were sent to meet the ship later, but achieved ascension and reached a higher plane of existence so were no longer around to meet the Destiny as planned. Yada, yada.

6. Do something new. So far, commenters on TV Squad's 'Stargate Universe' reviews have compared 'SGU' to 'Doctor Who,' 'Sliders,' 'Lost in Space,' 'Firefly,' 'Battlestar Galactica,' 'Star Trek' and just about every other sci-fi series known to humans. Let's face it, it's difficult to come up with anything new at this point, but we hope 'Stargate Universe' is up for the challenge. A lot of it boils down to the characters and how they interact with each other.

7. Cut the gratuitous sex scenes. There must be a memo circulating among producers of just about every show on TV to throw in an unnecessary sex scene every episode or two. 'Stargate Universe' climbed on that bandwagon in the very first episode. We're not prude, but if you're going to have a sex scene, make it count.

http://insidetv.aol.com/2009/12/04/seven-ways-to-make-stargate-universe-the-best-show-on-tv/

I sure hope that the producers have something big up their sleeves that they are not sharing and that this inconsistency is just a front. Now if you will excuse me, I have some Babylon 5 to watch.

So is it canned already or why are there no airdates for the next episodes?

^Christmas break maybe?

That last episode was the "half season ending", since advertisements is all US TV cares about, they break the seasons up and what not. It should be back in March-ish.