My personal car reviews: Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi 4x4

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
My second encounter with a modern day Ford took place over the last weekend. Again it was one of those "You can choose between..." things at the car rental. So I chose a Ford Kuga -- because I was curious about it.

A Ford Kuga TDCi with the 2 liter diesel engine, which has 136 HP. It came with a 6-speed manual, which makes it possible to compare it directly with the VW Tiguan, that I had a couple of weeks ago.

Videos are still uploading but I'll start with my review anyway.

I noticed some time ago, that it's actually a very nice looking car for a small SUV, or a "crossover", as they call it. I think it's the best looking of that kind at the moment.

4152725866_e3b2ced84e_b.jpg

4152728780_64d5337b0e_b.jpg

4151966965_6a96f86d09_b.jpg

4151968051_cb29fb7881_b.jpg

Let me start with the things I didn't like so much and since those are mainly minor things, I'll simply make a list:

- The leg room at the front is too short for tall people like me.
- The leg room at the back is too short for tall people like me, if a tall person sits in the front, too. So the Tiguan clearly wins the space section.
- Build quality is not quite on the same level, as with the Tiguan. There are some fizzes and rattles on cobblestone, where the VW was rock solid. Also there was a constant whistle coming from the front window, which I wasn't able to locate but thankfully was not as annoying on long term, as I thought.
- Some of the plastics, especially the parts between the seats, where the cupholder and the ashtray are located, make a really cheap impression.

The overall quality impression, though, is very good. The dashboard and the door panels actually look and feel better, than in the VW. Also the Ford feels much more cosy and homely, than the rather cold and sterile VW. Right from the start I liked being in the Kuga. It is a really nice place to be in.

4151971447_fa660507e6_o.jpg

The plastic Ford used for the parts over the middle tunnel really looks and feels cheap but the rest of the interior seems to be good quality

4151972551_ed0727bd1d_o.jpg

The door panels for example make an excellent quality impression

4151970393_864cea80f8_o.jpg

That's the rear leg room you have left, when the driver's seat is pushed back to its maximum -- not enought for tall people

4151969619_5c75c6196e_b.jpg

Boot space is no issue of course and the tailgate opens and closes without you having to throw all your body's weight into it

4152734274_4e9de91289_o.jpg

4151973287_3eb2bef5ea_o.jpg

Strange thing is, that you sit on a heightened position on the back seats, effectively looking down at the folks in the front

4151974911_f28fb00dd2_o.jpg

4152735760_5aa35651e4_o.jpg

4151977693_a1226e503e_o.jpg

4152737026_eb3f84264b_o.jpg

This car is a very nice place to be in. I especially like the steering wheel, which is grippy and actually comes with stitches. Small but nice detail. What I still don't like so much, is the fake aluminium look-alike plastic parts in the middle, which Ford still manages to make look like plastic somehow

The seats are okay but not brilliant. Too short for my thighs for example but otherwise covenient enough and with enough side support.

This particular Kuga came with the very cool keyless engine start function, which means you simply have to keep the key (or rather the remote control to open the doors) in your pocket. You then simply press the "power" button on the dashboard to start the engine, while stepping on the clutch.

However, this system has a flaw, as the guy from the car rental told me: The engine won't stop, if you leave the car and take the key with you.

He said that another customer handed the car over to his wife, while the engine was running, and she drove away without the key. Of course that only went well as long as the engine kept running. But when she wanted to refill the car with diesel and shut it down, she ended up being marooned at a filling station far away from home :lol:

Anyway, back to my car review.

As I already said, I immediately felt very well in the Kuga. And that impression was emphasized by the fact, that driving it didn?t need getting used to very much. I immediately became friends with the clutch, which had some play and didn?t only know on or off (like the one in the Tiguan) and didn?t come down like a hammer every time I shifted down (like the one in the Tiguan).

So using the Ford Kuga as a machine for moving myself around, was much easier and more satisfying, than it was with the Tiguan. I immediately developed a fondness of the Kuga beyond any rational facts. Everything feels nicely in your hands: The steering wheel, the gear lever, the indicator stalk (the indicator actually makes a satsfying plopping noise, btw.).

The difference to the VW became even greater once the engine was running, thanks to a much better diesel engine in the Ford. On paper the Kuga has 4 HP less, than the Tiguan. But the Ford diesel engine is clearly torquier, smoother and quieter.

And there is no drone at all at lower revs!

As I already said in the Tiguan review, the VW 2.0 diesel is becoming old. And my experience with the Ford Kuga confirmed it. It?s the much better and more modern engine. Not really faster but simply better to drive and handle.

So the ?feel well? factor is clearly won by the Ford Kuga, by a huge margin. But how does it behave on the road, the point that made the Tiguan so great, that I forgot about its flaws?

Well, the Ford is almost as good. It?s not quite there, though, with the steering being a little too soft and imprecise and the turning into a corner being a little bit more sluggish. However, don?t think the Kuga is not handling well, because it corners just as well, as the Tiguan. It just needs to be grabbed by the horns a bit more -- only it doesn?t feel quite as tight and nimble, as the VW, and has a tendency to follow ruts in the road.

However, that slight disadvantage in handling is more than compensated by the quality of the ride. The Tiguan was already very comfortable but the Ford Kuga beats it by miles. It?s incredibly smooth, without being wobbly. In addition to that, they did a very good job in eliminating tire noises, so even on hard bumps, you hardly hear a thump from the rubbers. When you ride along in a high gear on a smooth road, everything you hear is the wind noise.

At high speeds on Autobahns the Kuga also is not quite as planted as the Tiguan and doesn?t go over 190 km/h on the speedo (while the Tiguan was scratching the needle at the 200 km/h mark) but it still feels very safe and firm.

Excellent job, Ford.

After three days in the Tiguan and three days in the Kuga something happened, that I thought would never happened: I, a declared VW/Audi fan, prefer a Ford over a Volkswagen. And not only just but by a huge margin.

Sorry, VW, but the Tiguan loses big time to the Kuga. Not on paper and not if you just compare the two cars in a strictly objective way. But subjectively the Ford Kuga is the more pleasant, more convenient and more homely car.

Driving the VW Tiguan always felt a little like being in a car, that was made only as a vehicle to meet practical demands.

The Ford Kuga, however, is a real pleasure to drive and even only with a 136 HP diesel turns every drive into a joy. I actually enjoyed driving around in it without a predetermined destination -- just for the fun of it. It?s that good. Make no mistake: The VW Tiguan is a really good car -- but the Ford Kuga is simply better.

In a completely subjective way of course but still?

Forget about the slightly worse build quality, the whistle noise and the lack of room for my legs. If I had to choose between the VW Tiguan and the Ford Kuga, there would be no hesitation: I would buy the Ford.

And I can?t believe I just said that?

Anyway, here come the first videos:

I took all vids as part of an ongoing Sunday drive through town, country and Autobahn. I think no further coment is needed :)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfE9RcpLxvk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMhNFHTW5rM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFp-9Bval4Y[/YOUTUBE]

More to come, as uploading continues...

Last edited:
As I drive a Focus, this review is quite interesting to me, especially: How did you like the stereo? And how did you like the on-board computer? I have the same pieces in my car, that's why I ask.

Well, I didn't play around with the onboard computer -- I had way too much fun driving.

The stereo was good. Nice sound quality but the radio sucked. It seems to be the same kind of Sony radio I already encountered in the Volvo XC60 and the Ford Mondeo. It has dropouts when adjusting the station and overall doesn't receive very well. Lots of distortions. I didn't get to try out the CD/MP3 qualities, though.

Last edited:
So nice cozy car for tiny people? :lol:

Well, if you wanna put it into one sentence... yeah :D

Erhm....don't leather wheels always come with stitches? :blink:

I hadn't quite figured out, if it was leather or not. It was too smooth for leather. Maybe artificial leather.

But it obviously was a standard wheel and it's nice to have those with stitches. It's a minor detail, as I said, but those mostly count.

To me it looks like an ugly steaming pile of shit, maybe because it is.

But of course... according to the finalgear members who take Jeremy Clarkson's word as the fucking gospel: "If it is a Ford then it must be brilliant".

That is about the most stupid post I read on this forum for a long time :blink:

Last edited:
I too loved the Kuga when I drove it. It's my favourite Ford. The only thing I did not like about it is the stupid radio control behind the steering wheel and the fact that the Kuga does not have a interior hood release.

The stereo was good. Nice sound quality but the radio sucked.
Hm, perhaps some antenna issue or something. I can't complain about the radio reception. The sound quality is good with MP3, CD, radio and phone.
On the downside functionality and usability just suck. This stereo is a classic case of why factory stereos are just a rip-off and you should get an aftermarket unit:
  • Not only can't it play Vorbis, it plainly rejects a USB drive if there's a single non-readable file (i.e. a .ogg, or a .mp3 with a "faulty" name) on it.
  • The clock isn't synchronized with the RDS signal.
  • When searching for a phone number, you have to go through the whole address book number by number - meaning you need three pushes of the button to pass a person with three numbers (home, work, mobile). And you can't take a shortcut by pressing a number and thereby jumping to the according letter. Not good if you want to dial a person beginning with 'M'...
That are the biggest annoyances for me. Sadly, you have to get some radio if you want Ford to put speakers and cables into your car, so I went for a decent option without spending too much extra money. But I loosely consider replacing it with a Zenec unit. Some time in the future, when I have the money for it.

I too loved the Kuga when I drove it. It's my favourite Ford. The only thing I did not like about it is the stupid radio control behind the steering wheel and the fact that the Kuga does not have a interior hood release.

There is a radio control behind the wheel?? :blink:

Was that the lever I completely ignored? :D

Last edited:
Yes it's stupid and figuring it out on the move is impossible unless you have a completely straight and empty road to drive on.

I thought about finding out what it is supposed to do. It looks so weird, like a flattened piece of spare rib.

But then I was driving around all weekend, had lots of fun and joy in the car and totally forgot about it.

LOL, the radio control is the most awesome usability thing in the whole car. :D It's easy to use: Two volume control buttons, one bidirectional lever (forward/backward/change radio station), one button (change source). Oh, and a button to activate voice control (which is totally useless).

One thing I might add: The Sunday morning vids were all taken on a wet road and I deliberately drove hard around some corners to see, how and when the ESP kicked in - for example when I entered the Autobahn in the third video.

The ESP kicks in nicely and soft and corrects in a delicate way, thus making you still feel like you're the boss :)

To me it looks like an ugly steaming pile of shit, maybe because it is.

But of course... according to the finalgear members who take Jeremy Clarkson's word as the fucking gospel: "If it is a Ford then it must be brilliant".

Yes we are all slaves to top gear's opinions of cars and that is why I have a 2.slow VW bug with racing stripes.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRxJTt-kq08[/YOUTUBE]

Here is a night drive. I chose the same route, as I drove with the VW Tiguan for comparison:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4nuOmFlnJk[/YOUTUBE]

MacGuffin said:
Forget about the slightly worse build quality, the whistle noise and the lack of room for my legs. If I had to choose between the VW Tiguan and the Ford Kuga, there would be no hesitation: I would buy the Ford.

And I can?t believe I just said that?

Neither can I! Then again, my wife has an SL whereas it looked like you drove a pretty low end Tiguan.

Still, color me impressed by Ford...