Unveiled: 2011 Toyota Sienna - Yes, a Minivan...

Timbits93

Car(s)
2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport line
H8E4313-prv.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 2, 2009) ? Toyota unveiled the all-new, third-generation Sienna minivan at a media conference today at the 2009 Los Angeles Auto show.

The Toyota Sienna is well known as a transportation solution for moving people and cargo comfortably and efficiently. The third-generation Sienna will look and drive more like a sedan, conform to new ideas about personal comfort, easily accommodate cargo, and handle big loads.

The 2011 Sienna has been reinvented to handle these needs as it shifts to a more expressive and dynamic vehicle with a stronger profile, high shoulder character and responsive handling. With state-of the art features and rewarding driving dynamics, it is a vehicle that car-lovers will find satisfying to drive. Sienna will offer new models, including a sporty SE and a four-cylinder powertrain, as it continues to be the only offering in the segment with an all-wheel-drive option.

?The all-new Sienna is an example of Toyota?s commitment to lead the marketplace as it anticipates consumers? needs and changes in lifestyle,? said Bob Carter, group vice president and general manager, Toyota Division, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. The third-generation Sienna combines a contemporary style with features not previously seen in a minivan, and a fun-to-drive spirit that will surprise many, along with the flexibility, spaciousness and features that have defined the segment.

The Sienna was designed by Toyota?s Calty Design Research and developed at Toyota Technical Center in Ann Arbor, Mich., with assembly being accomplished at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana.

Source: http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/all-new-third-generation-toyota-149431.aspx

Looks um, squared to me <_<

And look, the SE Model o_O

001_Sienna_SE-prv.jpg

Last edited:
Reminds me of this...

Six years after Toyota's luxury minivan, the Alphard, hit Japanese (and a few SE Asian) showrooms, the company has given its flagship people mover a facelift, and a twin brother. Noting that one in four family cars in Japan are minivans but that the outgoing Alphard appealed more to grandfathers than fathers, the second-gen model remains conservatively styled, while a meaner, more aggressive-looking stablemate, the Vellfire (above), is hoped to grab the attention of Japanese family men in their 30s who have erstwhile bought Nissan Elgrands and Honda Elysions....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skhHz92gQZU[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/13/toyota-alphard-gets-facelift-vellfire-sibling/

http://img148.imageshack.**/img148/7766/img420080512141832762lux5.jpg

Toyota-Sienna_2011_photo_55.jpg

I could get used to that.

Toyota-Sienna_2011_photo_1c.jpg

I think the dash is over-styled, but the interior materials appear to be more Lexus than Toyota. Nice.

The Camry has the same thing going on. They just look bulbous and mushy.

It has a very big chin.

That said, I do like the recliners in the third row. I'd never want one, but I'd totally catch a ride with someone had one.

Last edited:
Just noticed:

The third-generation Sienna will look and drive more like a sedan

On what crack-addled planet does this look like a sedan?! I know it's just PR nonsense, but still...

well i'd kinda believe about how it would drive more like a sedan, but looking like a sedan? They have a LONG way from making it look like one.

I don't really like the tailights though, they look loooooong and short if you know what i mean.

I'd agree with 2Billion, wouldn't buy one but i wouldn't mind being a passenger in one.

If I had to own a minivan, this would be the one I would choose. I have several friends who own or have owned these in the past and they are pretty damn solid. I have even seen them tow motorcycle trailers, so they are not completely for soccer moms.

If I had to own a minivan, this would be the one I would choose. I have several friends who own or have owned these in the past and they are pretty damn solid. I have even seen them tow motorcycle trailers, so they are not completely for soccer moms.

If I decided to ever get a minivan (and with kids, I'm starting to see the benefit of having a huge box like this that you can stand up inside), I see three tempting options:

(1) This. For those relaxing recliners when I've got to ride in the back.

(2) Grand Caravan. Swivel-and-go seating for the win. Card games, feeding them meals, whatever. It surprises me that more minivans don't have the option of rear-facing second-row seats (the only other example I know is the Buick Business Concept).

...but the likely winner is:

(3) Flex Ecoboost. Because it looks like a pimped-out hearse and goes like stink. What more could you possibly want in a family vehicle?

Will it even move with a four cylinder engine?? If they really wanted to go for a smaller engine, they could have at least made a 3.0L DI V6 for the base model.

The SE certainly looks nice, and anything suspension tune wise to get it up to the relative fun to drive levels as the Odyssey and Sedona is always a good thing.:) I hope the interior is as high quality as it looks. I was a tad disappointed in the Venza interior I looked at in depth at a local auto show. It certainly looks nice but upon closer inspection leaves a bit to be desired.

Will it even move with a four cylinder engine?? If they really wanted to go for a smaller engine, they could have at least made a 3.0L DI V6 for the base model.

There's only a 1-2 mpg fuel efficiency increase with the four-banger, so I suspect the four-banger is pretty overworked.

31291co.png

Sedan-like appearance? Fun to drive?

Toyota's marketing department is high on their own supply. Especially with that bit about the Toyota legacy of quality.

31291co.png

Sedan-like appearance? Fun to drive?

Toyota's marketing department is high on their own supply. Especially with that bit about the Toyota legacy of quality.

Now, now - they don't say just what quality they have a legacy of. Perhaps it's 'profit quality'. :D

There's only a 1-2 mpg fuel efficiency increase with the four-banger, so I suspect the four-banger is pretty overworked.

Yeah, the also put this 4 cylinder in the 4 Runner and Highlander. I suspect it's being overworked there too, esp on 3 row models with that row in use a lot. Even a DI 4 would probably be a better idea. :rolleyes:

Whoa whoa whoa... are you sure this is a Toyota? I don't see anywhere in the description that there will be a hybrid model, and there is no impending lawsuit, of any kind, mentioned in this press release.

Get rid of the Leno-sized chin and the wood overlays, and that would genuinely look like a good car.

Also, needs more superchargers.

They said it looks and drives more like a sedan. Are they saying maybe that all of their sedans are going to start looking like this?

I think the "looks like a sedan" is code for "It uses Camry headlights".