Auto Express: New Ford Focus Family

Jacobfox

Car(s)
VW GTI 4-Door (MKVI)
From Auto Express.

When it makes its debut next year, the MkIII Focus family will offer something for everyone ? from a stylish five-door hatchback to a head-turning SUV, as well as a stunning RS super-hatch.

And it?s no surprise that Ford is pulling out all the stops. Not only has the new Focus got to take on VW?s Golf and the Vauxhall Astra, it also has to attract a worldwide audience. As with the Fiesta supermini, the car is a true global product.

Taking its inspiration from the Iosis Max concept seen at March?s Geneva Motor Show, the styling of the new Focus will be more edgy than rivals, but retains its mass-market appeal. Under the skin is Ford?s latest C-segment platform. This is essentially a reworked version of the current model?s underpinnings, but should ensure the Focus stays at the top of the class for handling.

A new range of EcoBoost turbo petrol engines will be available, as will updated TDCi diesels. The former includes 89bhp or 108bhp 1.0-litre units and a 170bhp 1.6. Diesel fans can choose from a 128bhp 1.6 or a 2.0-litre with 168bhp or 197bhp.

Taking its position at the head of the pack will be an all-new Focus RS. To keep weight and costs down without affecting performance, Ford engineers will carry over the existing model?s front-wheel-drive layout.

However, the thirsty 2.5-litre five-cylinder turbo unit is to be dropped in favour of a more efficient 2.0-litre EcoBoost turbo. This should deliver more than the current 301bhp.

If style is a greater priority than speed, there?s also a pair of trendy Focus-based models. Using the three-door, due early in 2011, as a starting point, the new four-seat Focus CC will stick with a folding hard-top and take the fight to established rivals such as the Peugeot 308 CC and VW Eos when it arrives late that year.

Ford is even cranking up the style on the Kuga. A five-door successor to the current compact SUV arrives in 2011, but it will be joined by a more elegant three-door variant.

This gets muscular proportions reminiscent of the Iosis X concept displayed at the 2006 Paris Motor Show, and will be offered with a choice of front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive. The same line-up of EcoBoost petrol and TDCi diesel units will be available in both versions of the Kuga, but in a first for the SUV range they will be hooked up to Ford?s Powershift twin-clutch transmission.

Completing the new Focus line-up will be a cavernous estate, a stylish saloon and the C-MAX compact MPV. The latter will be the first model in the range to arrive, and is one of the most eagerly awaited new car launches of 2010. It promises a versatile interior, with a premium-quality feel, a raft of hi-tech kit and a wraparound layout.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/a...fc1a788619d44e7fc13f758a7ba7a15#ixzz0YbZKmKYs
And some pics.
car_photo_345703_25.jpg

car_photo_345700_25.jpg

car_photo_345697_25.jpg

Dare I say it, but that 200hp diesel certainly sounds like a bit of a laugh.

I want a more rally like RS. Give me a Cossie damn it!

I'll hold out hope for the unlikely and assume they will be making a non rally sport four wheel drive Fiesta instead.

I know they are renders, but what the hell is going on with the side window arrangement of the wagon?

The new Kuga? They're apparently taking a leaf out of BMW's "Let's be impractical" book and making a coupe version of that.

why does every model have different headlights?

alfa and audi make all their cars look the same, ford gives every line different styling?

why does every model have different headlights?

alfa and audi make all their cars look the same, ford gives every line different styling?

Hardly any difference there. But that is a good thing if they do make them different!

We need a longitudinally mounted front engine and awd. It really is time for a new cossworth.

If they do make a Focus-suv, please make it exactly like the one in the renders. I'd buy it.
Totally. Ford needs to have something to rival the Panda when it comes here.

It looks kinda like a Touareg, to be honest.

AutoExpress= mostly rubbish...... move along nothing much to see here

From the looks of the new Ford C-Max, I'm afraid this will be the most ugly Focus generation ever made till now.

Can we just start ignoring AutoExpress? They never get anything right.

I know they are renders, but what the hell is going on with the side window arrangement of the wagon?

looks like they took a Grand C-Max and photoshopped it a bit:

fordgrandcmax---03.jpg

I want to take a look at the Grand C-Max when it hits our shores...

Last edited:
I'd trade my Mk1 on an XJR tomorrow if a few of the mentioned abominations (The SUV and the convertible) were bound for the US - but they barely pass the "this is real" sniff test, much less the "Ford has the balls to sell that in the US"