The "New Toys" Thread

Activity Monitor is showing 2 CPUs in OSX, and both XP and Win 7 task manager show 2 CPUs.

So unless it's a trick like Hyperthreading, something doesn't add up, there are two cores.
Any explanations?

Both the Atom N270 and Atom N280 are single core processors which support Intel Hyper-Threading Technology

It's confusing, I know.
The upcoming Atoms are "real" dualcores from what I can tell

Hyper thread CPU always shows up as 2 cpus in Windows....my Pentium 4 confused the hell out of me back then, and now my i7 shows up as 8 cpus lol

Hyper thread CPU always shows up as 2 cpus in Windows....my Pentium 4 confused the hell out of me back then, and now my i7 shows up as 8 cpus lol

That's Hyperthreading for you. Each core runs two simultaneous threads - that way more processes can be computed simultaneously, so the efficiency goes up.

Hyperthreaded processors can't execute two processes simultaneously - that would be a dual core. They can't even technically execute two threads simultaneously. They can, however, switch between two threads very, very quickly.

Well, I got a 360, a PC and I'm planning on a PS3, so there isn't really any choice if you wanna hardmount a wheel into your movable cockpit...

Still: The fit and build quality of this thing is just beautiful. Yeah, ok, the shifter moves a bit when going to 5th and 6th, but I wanna hardmount that thing, too. The fan inside is starting up a bit too early fro my taste, the thing isn't even properly warm and it starts fuzzing. The rest is flawless. Seriously.
The pedals are great. Each pedal is different in feel. The brake throw maybe a bit on the short side, but you get used to it quickly. Pedals are perfectly positioned for heel and toe, I worked that baby on Fujimi Kaido in a B class car right away!

Reviews also say, that the PWTS is a bit better, right now the price isn't much of a difference, availability is ok, afaik, they are getting new shipments in very soon, so there isn't much of a wait.

G27 isn't 360 compatible, and therefore I'd much prefer the G25 as it is half the price and 95% the performer...

D-Link DIR-655:

d-link-dir-655.973986.jpg

Connect that with a cable that goes all the way to the other side of our apartment, to the network socket in the corner of our bedroom and you get this:

645716513.png

:twisted:

We can now say goodbye to the overly expensive Elisa ADSL, 41.90e per month for a lousy 4/1Mbit connection. Yes, the router cost me ~100 euros but since the TOASnet connection is included in the rent, it's basically free, so we'll have saved the cost of the router in 2,5 months. Epic win all around <3

I wish I could justify upgrading from the 1.5 dsl... :(

I wish I had the option to pay for fast internet.

Hyperthreaded processors can't execute two processes simultaneously - that would be a dual core. They can't even technically execute two threads simultaneously. They can, however, switch between two threads very, very quickly.

Technically any CPU can only execute one instruction at a time and that's how multitasking OSs work, switching between threads very quickly. That's what the scheduler does.

I think the point of hyperthreading was to parallellize things (pipelining?) if there are two tasks completely independent of each other that wouldn't need to access the same bits of the CPUs resources at the same time, they could be executed at the same time on a single core.

So it's not quite as good as having two fully independent cores, but it is a way to do multiprocessing. I suppose the second virtual core blocks when a contended resource is in use? I gather it's like siamese twins sharing everything from the hips down.

Last edited:
I wish I had the option to pay for fast internet.

this. what I have now is considered fast by a couple of people but not by me

20/1 ADSL, realistically getting 300-500 kbps max down
Sadly, it is by far the best deal one can have, with regards to the monthly limit & price point (100 GB, most people here are on max 25, and 50? all in, including phonecalls)

P1000858.jpg

ignoring the fact I bought it for my mom and am technically just setting it up for her :lol:

I will enjoy playing with it for the next 2 weeks :shifty:

Needs more stickers.

Seriously, I see Windows XP and Intel Atom, but wtf are all those others?

42665709_1.jpg

Win 7 64bit.
HP Pavilion Dv6 2003so
2,0 ghz processer.
4gb ram.
ATI Radeom HD4650.
15,6'' HD LED.
320gb harddisk.

Don't ask me what it's like. There is still 16 days until I can have it :(

Needs more stickers.

Seriously, I see Windows XP and Intel Atom, but wtf are all those others?

Isn't that normal?

One for the OS, one for the processor, one for the graphics and/or audio and on the opposite side they usually list the specs and noteworthy features.

I think it just looks like a lot of stickers since it's such a small chassis.