Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

^^I don't think GTAIV was ever really denied classification, Rockstar simply chose to be on the safe side and made some edits for classification (because Australia does not have the R18+ rating, so I guess point still stands) in Australia before(though later PC version and add-on The Lost and Damned undid the edits). Left4Dead 2 how ever...

You could import though if customs is aware that a game has been refused classification they can seize the game, though I think chances of them even checking are pretty low.

Last edited:
I think they made some cursory edits, but ended up submitting the original, uncut game anyway. According to Gamespot, 'The PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV released in Australia is reported to be unedited, identical to that of other international releases, under the MA15+ rating'.

Anyway, the point is, Atkinson needs to be removed so we can have that rating.

Stop being a prude. Video games don't pervert children. As with music, the only people who would go on a killing spree because of some entertainment media they pertook of are the people who are already fucked in the head. Despite your rather pessemistic views, the average kid can in fact tell the difference between reality and make-believe.

I don't know anyone (or at least any guys) who didn't play violent video games that they "shouldn't have". The only people who were violent had bigger problems, like being picked on a lot, abusive parents, being poor, or getting involved with "the wrong crowd". Video games don't fuck kids up, fucked up kids play video games.

Why do they advertise the virtues of movies on BluRay...on a BluRay disc I've already purchased? Isn't that preaching to the choir?

Christ. Janet Jackson can't lip sync for shit.

Fuck, I hate those stupid PS3 commercials!!!! :thumbsdown:

Stop being a prude. Video games don't pervert children. As with music, the only people who would go on a killing spree because of some entertainment media they pertook of are the people who are already fucked in the head. Despite your rather pessemistic views, the average kid can in fact tell the difference between reality and make-believe.

I don't know anyone (or at least any guys) who didn't play violent video games that they "shouldn't have". The only people who were violent had bigger problems, like being picked on a lot, abusive parents, being poor, or getting involved with "the wrong crowd". Video games don't fuck kids up, fucked up kids play video games.

If that's directed at me, you've completely misunderstood my argument.

Ok, fine, but but but but but some of it sounded like what I thought you meant. So... stuff about Australia's stupid ratings and obstinacy. Just take my post as a rant to those people then. Sorry sir.

It probably wasn't very well worded. I assume you were referring to this;

Red_Bull said:
Think about it. Grand Theft Auto 4 was denied a classification because we don't have an R18+ rating for games. Rockstar said 'okay' and simply resubmitted the original version of the game which was eventually granted a MA15+ rating. This means the same bloody, violent, game that's contributing to the decay of society (lulz), restricted to adults in every other country is available in Australia for children. Same with COD MW2, and various other titles.

Yeah, that does come across as a bit anti-video gameish, which wasn't my ultimate intention. I kinda hoped the 'lulz' would indicate that I wasn't being entirely serious :p...I'll have to work on it. When you think about it though, games such as GTA4 aren't exactly appropriate for children under 15, which is why we need that AO18+ rating that movies have, and every other civilised country in the world has. These games are available to under 15s because there's no other rating. it just seems silly that games that are considered adults only in other countries are freely available for children here. Tbh, I don't care all that much about that aspect, I was merely using it as an example to add some substance to my argument.

I don't think video games are a direct cause of guys going out and killing a bunch of innocent people. They're clearly unbalanced and would probably have gone ahead with it anyway. Since the Pt Arthur massacre in 1996, guns have largely been banned in Australia, which makes the lack of an adult rating even more stupid.

Hopefully we're on the same page now :p

Last edited:
Anybody know what song there is in HL Lost Coast when you enter the church(starts at ~4:20)?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Iykz0gb7Q[/YOUTUBE]

I haven't managed to find anything about the Lost Coast sountrack.

Last edited:
^ Actually, that song also serves as the ending credits song for Episode Two. It's "Dark Interval."

[YOUTUBE]zu25gIS2cjA[/YOUTUBE]

I watched the film Red Cliff last night and i loved every minute of it! i've always been a bit of a sucker for films based on the legends of the three kingdoms (the Dynasty Warriors games started that interest off) and this film which was directed by John Woo managed to hold my attention and had me looking at the watch. not because i was bored but just because i didn't want the film to end.
My only complaint was that the version i watched was the combined version. The original film was split into 2 parts totalling nearly 5 hours and when it was released over here they trimmed it down to a single 148 minute film. While i enjoyed it i really want to see the original version now so i can see what i missed out on.
I'd really recommend this film.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd0bqLQrtdE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
[YOUTUBE]p5NGLBw4zuI[/YOUTUBE]

Watched The Long Good Friday as the theme tune was played in the 14x04 episode, and damn it's good.

I wasn't expecting a nutcracker... it was better than the crappy one we have at home. :(

its good, but as always with these things its a game that to me doesn't stand up to games like Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (yeah i know, i'm a bioware nerd but i can't help it they make great games), Bioshock, Halo or Grand Theft Auto 3.
I'm not saying these games should have won, just that i enjoyed them a lot more than Half Life. As was said by Commander Sinclair in Babylon 5 "one mans prophet is another man's lunatic"