Official 2010 F1 Pre-Season Thread

The rumour is that even if they sell out to Prodrive, they'll still honour their engine deals, so Prodrive would get Renault engines for some time and Red Bull's Renault contract would be honored as well. That's exactly what they did in the 1980s, pulling out as a team at the end of '85 but honoring the remaining engine supply deals and giving the teams they supplied time to find a suitable replacement.

If the rumors are to be believed, Renault will do one of two things:

1: Stay

2: Sell to Prodrive

We will see what happens. Personally, with the collapse of the French Grand Prix (again), plus with manufacturers running away, they are gone. The big question is what happens to Kubica's contract.
I imagine he'll go to prodrive or the one "competitive seat" thats left at Mercedes. If he chooses to stay, is Prodrive obligated to honor his contract?

The times of todays test:

1 . D. Ricciardo - Red Bull Renault RB5 - 1:17.418 (+ 0.000 ) - 77 laps
2 . P. di Resta - Force India Mercedes VJM02 - 1:18.736 (+ 1.318 ) - 53 laps
3 . G. Paffett - McLaren Mercedes MP4-24 - 1:18.746 (+ 1.328 ) - 59 laps
4 . M. Conway - Brawn Mercedes BGP 001 - 1:19.096 (+ 1.678 ) - 77 laps
5 . N. Hulkenberg - Williams Toyota FW31 - 1:19.226 (+ 1.808 ) - 106 laps
6 . B. Baguette - BMW Sauber F1.09 - 1:19.356 (+ 1.938 ) - 70 laps
7 . O. Turvey - McLaren Mercedes MP4-24 - 1:19.358 (+ 1.940 ) - 32 laps
8 . M. Ericsson - Brawn Mercedes BGP 001 - 1:19.382 (+ 1.964 ) - 49 laps
9 . L. Di Grassi - Renault R29 - 1:19.602 (+ 2.184 ) - 123 laps
10 . JR. Hilderbrand - Force India Mercedes VJM02 - 1:19.873 (+ 2.455 ) - 41 laps
11 . P. Lopez - Ferrari F60 - 1:21.068 (+ 3.650 ) - 39 laps
12 . D. Zampieri - Ferrari F60 - 1:21.279 (+ 3.861 ) - 42 laps
13 . M. Zipoli - Ferrari F60 - 1:21.725 (+ 4.307 ) - 41 laps
14 . B. Hartley - Toro Rosso Ferrari STR4 - 1:22.493 (+ 5.075 ) - 50 laps
15 . M. Bortolotti - Toro Rosso Ferrari STR4 - 1:23.271 (+ 5.853 ) - 34 laps
16 . H. Tung - Renault R29 - 1:32.477 (+ 15.059 ) - 4 laps.

Ricciardo set the world on fire today. I'm really impressed with Conway, though. I know he does not have the best car in Indy, but I still wouldn't expect those numbers from him. Great job.

If the rumors are to be believed, Renault will do one of two things:

1: Stay

2: Sell to Prodrive

We will see what happens. Personally, with the collapse of the French Grand Prix (again), plus with manufacturers running away, they are gone. The big question is what happens to Kubica's contract.

Agreed, but if Toyota get slapped with a big fine for leaving, that gives a lot of bargaining power to Prodrive or any other potential buyer.

Ricciardo's quickest time today is impressive, but that much quicker than the rest of the field...you have to wonder if they did a glory run ala Williams. Still, I think he's probably going to get the test driver gig for next year.

Last edited:
^ that would be horried - we get Canada back only to lose England?

I'm going to have a hard enough time figuring out all the new teams next years LOL!

Autosport Awards

AWARD McLaren AUTOSPORT BRDC: D. Smith
AWARD Int. Racing Driver: Jenson Button
AWARD British Comp. Driver: Jenson Button
AWARD Gregor Grant Award: Ron Dennis
AWARD Ferrari pays tribute to AUTOSPORT
AWARD Gregor Grant Award: Ferrari
AWARD Int. Rally Driver: Mikko Hirvonen
AWARD Rally Car of the Year: Citroen C4
AWARD John Bolster Award: Adrian Newey
AWARD Racing car of the Year: Brawn BGP001
AWARD Rookie of the Year: Kris Meeke
AWARD Nat'l. Racing Driver: Colin Turkington
AWARD British Club Driver: Sarah Moore

And will Silverstone host the MotoGP race as well? I read some rumours earlier that if they get back the F1 GP, they may have to drop MotoGP.

^ I heard from other sources that they'll be using the MotoGP layout for F1 as well, and they'll be hosting both races. In any event, it's impossible that Donington will be able to host any of them, the track is dug up in places. :(

At Silverstone upgrading work is going at full speed, however.

BRITISH GRAND PRIX IS ON FOR 2010!!!!!!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80466

Silverstone secures British GP from 2010

By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde Monday, December 7th 2009, 10:31 GMT

The British Grand Prix will stay at the Silverstone circuit next year after the Northamptonshire track reached a deal with Bernie Ecclestone after weeks of negotiations.

Silverstone looked set to lose the race last year when Ecclestone signed a 17-year deal with Donington Park to host the grand prix from next season.

However, Donington failed to raise the funds to carry out a redevelopment project and so Ecclestone began talks with Silverstone.

The British Racing Drivers' Club, owners of the tack, confirmed on Monday morning they had secured a 17-year agreement to host the British Grand Prix from 2010.

The circuit will also host a MotoGP race next year.

"The title of Silverstone as home of motorsport has come true," said BRDC president Damon Hill. "It is a place for all motorsport. Everyone in the BRDC loves motorsport and we are looking forward to the MotoGP as well as the British Grand Prix.

"It is not easy to enter into a contract of this magnitude and you have to take on a lot of responsibility, but the BRDC wanted this relationship to continue.

"Everyone was well aware that the British GP is not just a sporting event, but it is dynamo of the industry in this country. Losing it would have been damaging and perhaps there would have been no coming back."

Hill said the new pit and paddock work will begin after Christmas and it is hoped it will be finished for the 2011 race.

Now, anyone want to hedge any non-monetary bets as to when the BGP will be sold out (in terms of tickets)? I'm saying 3 months from now.

Last edited:
^ I heard from other sources that they'll be using the MotoGP layout for F1 as well, and they'll be hosting both races. In any event, it's impossible that Donington will be able to host any of them, the track is dug up in places. :(

At Silverstone upgrading work is going at full speed, however.

Well, hopefully MotoGP will go back to Donington, where it should be (when the track is ready to race that is)...

^Fit off-road tires to the motogp bikes!! I'd pay to watch that!

Of course I'm glad that there will be a British GP, but it makes me sad that Donington is pretty much destroyed right now, just for the sake of - nothing...

I guess I posted my message in the wrong thread.

Too many threads, too many teams moving around, too many drivers bouncing around.

Guess I'm getting old :)