Autoblog: A new twist on an old concept: the Stop Light.

Red+yellow for N-S cars, pause for a second or two. Cars are not allowed to set off yet because it's still red. That phase is designed to shift into gear, start up the car, whatever.

I've seen those lights, I think they are quite useful. But everybody sets regularly off as soon as red-yellow light is on. Both in Germany and Denmark.

I'd love to have them installed here too, I hate people counting butterflies when the green light turns on.

There are a couple of lights with timers over here, for example in some busy inner cities for pedestrians. Their goal is to stop people from walking while red by showing them when it will become green.

I've seen those too. I think they're quite useful when there is a great flow of pedestrians.

Yeah, but that's large and easy for people to use to try to time the lights with potentially disastrous results.

What's "timing the lights"? Google has let me down on this, I might know the concept but not in that name.

^ When you adjust your speed such that you hit several lights in a row all on green.

I suppose it's nice if the lights are run off timers but it was a long time since I saw one of those, last one I rembember was made into a roundabout.

EDIT: Just as a funny info. We have yet to see sensors to trigger the stoplights. Yeah, go ahead and laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

we don't have this,but the principle is the same.
Belgian lights are weeeeeeird, it goes right from red to green. The yellow is either off or so fast you don't see it.
The worst kind of light is the French Light. It makes you go like this.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_RXKikQU-g[/YOUTUBE]
The French Light is equipped with sensors that detects foreigners in order to taunt them.

Last edited:
Green for 14 seconds. They must really be a civil nation. If it was near my house, I would have chopped the traffic light down myself during the night.

Last edited:
Just give us these...

1174078803943-1484909058.gif

:D

^ When you adjust your speed such that you hit several lights in a row all on green.

In Germany there is traffic sign number 1012-34 for that, telling drivers the green lights are programmed to give all greens in a row at a certain speed.

490px-Zusatzzeichen_1012-34.svg.png

Usually it says the same as the speed limit, for example all greens at 70kph on a 70kph street. Idea behind it is to make people really drive 70 because it is the fastest way to drive on that street, enforced by the lights.

The French Light is equipped with sensors that detects foreigners in order to taunt them.

I'd say it detected the Dacia...

Last edited:
This is a cool idea but over-simplified I think. I would be happy with the red+yellow before green here.

I think it's a good idea, if it was a little more visable from a distance, it'd make for easier coasting up to lights and it'd be great for knowing when cars are going to be moving again. It's great as a concept, be interesting to see how it can be refined.

In Germany there is traffic sign number 1012-34 for that, telling drivers the green lights are programmed to give all greens in a row at a certain speed.

Usually it says the same as the speed limit, for example all greens at 70kph on a 70kph street. Idea behind it is to make people really drive 70 because it is the fastest way to drive on that street, enforced by the lights.

I wish we had that in my city... the lights are so horribly unsyncronised!

I wish we had that in my city... the lights are so horribly unsyncronised!

Mine are very synchronized, and the opposite of what is in Germany. If you hit a red light, then take off and do the speed limit, you WILL hit every single red light along the street for as long as you go. This happened to my parents on the night of my birth.

I'd go through the red lights if my wife was in labor and I was hitting red lights. If you get pulled over, I doubt they will do anything to retarded to you.

re :the Gr?ne Welle thing : it does work, but it works a bit better if you go slightly under the limit.
I, however, go slightly over most of the time, which means you have to stop at EVERY single light

never seen those, but we have lights, with a traffic camera next to, that turns red when you go over a certain speed. so no use in speeding, caus the light will go red, and when you run the light, you get a fine for 150?...

Mine are very synchronized, and the opposite of what is in Germany. If you hit a red light, then take off and do the speed limit, you WILL hit every single red light along the street for as long as you go. This happened to my parents on the night of my birth.

Ours are very syncronised in that respect! There's no point even going the speed limit, you end up going faster by going slower. The amount of times I see people rushing to junctions, only to cruise past them when the lights go green.

re :the Gr?ne Welle thing : it does work, but it works a bit better if you go slightly under the limit.
I, however, go slightly over most of the time, which means you have to stop at EVERY single light

They're timed for real speed, not indicated speed on your dials... when it reads 70 you're most likely going 63-68 instead.

unless you drive my car, which has a VERY accurate speedo (1-2 kph difference to reality at city speeds)

unless you drive my car, which has a VERY accurate speedo (1-2 kph difference to reality at city speeds)
Unless using GPS, normal speedo is inherently in accurate.

Tyre pressures and loading affect the effective radius of the centre of the wheel to the road there by changing the real speed. They use a feed off the drive shaft (sort of) and some magnets and the deflection caused by the magnets is translated to the needle on the dash.