Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Are you into winching? :lol:

I would be if I could afford a winch. I think if it hadn't restarted I would've had to wind it out on the starter and then coated the engine in WD40, which would've been fun.

I'm actually looking at Tdi engine swaps. Going from 76bhp to 122 and 124lb-ft to 195 while getting 30mpg and more waterproof electrics would be a huge bonus, but would cost about ?600.

Incorrect, this just means your Lolvo is bad in snow.
I've drive FWD for 99% of my life, and I get on fine in snow.
I had a Polo just like yours and they're awesome in snow (Scandinavian flick FTMFW)... My Astra even manages to be fun with an ABS and ESP which I can't turn off

The Polo has basically no weight on the rear wheels. I've had lots of fun with mine, but it still wasn't great...mine had no power steering, and the steering in general was very inresponsive. So a scandinavian flick required being extremely vigorous with the steering wheel.
It means that the lolvo is safe in snow.. :p or that HV is a bad driver..
However my 745 is epic in snow! rwd ftw!!

I wouldn't say I am a bad driver ;) I'm not a great driver either. But yes, the Volvo is safe - it simply would not slide. But the torquesteer was rather spectacular.

my Polo(l) had PAS, and was VERY easy to throw around... trouble is that the steering is very accurate, so you need like 3 turns end to end, which does make scandinavian flicks difficult (you need to turn lots in a short amount of time)

still, the most fun Ive had while going 20 kph though

Handbrake turns are another possibility too

I wouldn't say I am a bad driver ;) I'm not a great driver either. But yes, the Volvo is safe - it simply would not slide. But the torquesteer was rather spectacular.

that's weird, my grandmah's old 855 doesn't torque-steer at all..

Handbrake turns are another possibility too
Um yeah...that doesn't quite work :lol:

that's weird, my grandmah's old 855 doesn't torque-steer at all..

Could it be the 10V model? And it also depends a lot on the tires. Mine are due for a change (and they are all-season POS Good Year)

trouble is that the steering is very accurate, so you need like 3 turns end to end, which does make scandinavian flicks difficult (you need to turn lots in a short amount of time)

What you needed was a knob. :|

Could it be the 10V model? And it also depends a lot on the tires. Mine are due for a change (and they are all-season POS Good Year)

She is rocking the GLT, and she has Nokian winter tires..

Re: engine breaking in automatics

In the Sebring I had two low gears and overdrive, so I could limit the car to whichever gear I wanted (though I couldn't prevent downshifts). In the RX I have a manual mode and engine breaking works quite well :p

It snowed this weekend over here too but the roads were cleared very quickly. I should probably think about mounting my snow tires though....

Re: engine breaking in automatics

In the Sebring I had two low gears and overdrive, so I could limit the car to whichever gear I wanted (though I couldn't prevent downshifts). In the RX I have a manual mode and engine breaking works quite well :p

How about engine repairing?

Hmmm...it must be the tires then, or the lack of heavy foot :D

(In all fairness, when I drove the other day it was just huge piles of fresh snow, so it acted more like a bulldozer, throwing snow everywhere)

I've got my second or third few feet of snow now. Should have seen everybody in my class handbrake turn into the curb outside my school this morning

Yeah I'm just gonna go ahead and say it, RWD is better in the snow than FWD.

I mean nobody likes endless power understeer...

How about engine repairing?

I could take this in one of two ways:

If you meant "engine breaking in an auto damages your engine" - I don't actually use it, but did discover one day that it works.

If you meant "lol rotary" - :tease:

I've got my second or third few feet of snow now. Should have seen everybody in my class handbrake turn into the curb outside my school this morning

Yeah I'm just gonna go ahead and say it, RWD is better in the snow than FWD.

I mean nobody likes endless power understeer...

Yup. Can't steer with the throttle on fail wheel drive. :D

Sure you can. Turn the wheel at speed in the snow, now the more throttle you apply, the less the car steers.

I could take this in one of two ways:

If you meant "engine breaking in an auto damages your engine" - I don't actually use it, but did discover one day that it works.

If you meant "lol rotary" - :tease:

newsflash

breaking = destroying
braking = slowing down using the brakes

The more you know....

Sure you can. Turn the wheel at speed in the snow, now the more throttle you apply, the less the car steers.

And the less throttle you apply, the less the car steers too. :p

Plus if you lose traction on the front tires, you're just hosed. Lose traction on the front tires of a RWD car? You can still steer with the throttle.

Last edited:
Removing sticker glue stuck on paint is difficult. What should I use so the glue would come off completely? It's also sub-zero out there.