track car build brainstorm

If you maintain it and don't throw a million PSI of boost at it 13Bs are reliable. Mazda only had issues with the FI cars, the NA ones have always been reliable.

The only issues, really, have been with the 13b-rew. The 13bt in the TII rx7 is also very reliable.

get a zonda

I'd also consider the respective communities build around club racing each car. The more knowledge out there the better, because someone else will likely have tried whatever your next idea for the car is. The Miata and E36 would have by far the most community information and support available.

Gentlemen, I know all about Spec E30, Spec Miata, and autocross and track regulations and classes. That's really not the point of this thread. I'm just trying to think of what a cool track-car build would be on.... idk, a $40k budget? (so no Zondas, sorry starfox :p)

40K? Jesus why not just buy a spec ford and be done with it

for 40K you could get a 944 Turbo (or a abused 911) and be reasonably competitive in NASA GTS or if you were feeling more patriotic there is always Camaro Mustang Challenge. If you really wanna build from the ground up. FFR can sell you a Coupe or Roadster that can be used for a number of track days if not their own series. for 40K you could build one of the nicest Locosts on earth. A nice duratec build with Cosworth parts and a reallllll nice frame... Hell you could probably do 2 one with a duratec and one with a R1 or GSX1300R motor...

Last edited:
At 40K, anything you build will at best only be as quick as an race prepped C5 Z06, especially if you build the car more to just "whatever you want" rather than the strict near-stock SCCA Touring 1 rules.

*and* you'll have money left over getting the Corvette.

Steve

Gentlemen, I know all about Spec E30, Spec Miata, and autocross and track regulations and classes. That's really not the point of this thread. I'm just trying to think of what a cool track-car build would be on.... idk, a $40k budget? (so no Zondas, sorry starfox :p)

For 40k I'd buy a Formula Enterprise car (30-38k used) and go racing, not just pootle around on track days!

http://img18.imageshack.**/img18/6660/3quatere.jpg

Heck, buy one real cheap (30k with spares) and a ghetto trailer and you could probably do a regional season for 6-8 grand.

Last edited:
40K jeeze thats a big budget.

I came in here about to suggest a 240 with an sr20 dropped in and that could keep it cheap but at 40k, I would build an e46 M3.

40K jeeze thats a big budget.

I came in here about to suggest a 240 with an sr20 dropped in and that could keep it cheap but at 40k, I would build an e46 M3.

Too heavy. Buy someone else's race car for 40k. Plenty of deals out there where someone will spend far, far more than that then need to sell.

Last edited:
Very true. Doesn't a stock C5Z put down 350-360 to the wheels? Hell, a bunch of my friends are happy to break 300whp on their subarus after lots of turbo work; LSx = easy power.

That sounds about right; they were rated at 405hp crank. Most guys I know in T1 are running crate engines and turning them up to 6400 with good reliability (which I think is a bit higher than the stock redline).

And another thought in the "pure track machine with torque" would be a Panoz GT car...a bunch of those are around for about 15 grand; and they have very trucklike, but solid componentry... in GT-2 trim they have like 450hp and definitely haul the mail.

For 40k you can have the Panoz, a trailer, and a truck to haul it around...and if you should touch something off-track, it's easy to fix.

Even has a second seat for friends. :)

Steve

And another thought in the "pure track machine with torque" would be a Panoz GT car...a bunch of those are around for about 15 grand; and they have very trucklike, but solid componentry... in GT-2 trim they have like 450hp and definitely haul the mail.

For 40k you can have the Panoz, a trailer, and a truck to haul it around...and if you should touch something off-track, it's easy to fix.

Even has a second seat for friends. :)

Steve

Saw a few of those at Infineon in September. Those things are Rolex GT fast. I've only seen ones online for 40-50 grand though.

Last edited:
I know a ton of guys down here running CMC and they love it. For torque and on your budget that it perfect. Could fund the car, trailer, and a bunch of racing on 40k. Though admittedly they all did go to Texas A&M so they had a penchant for american iron before they started.

Last edited:
Saw a few of those at Infineon in September. Those things are Rolex GT fast. I've only seen ones online for 40-50 grand though.

You can buy the ex-school cars for about $15,000. Then stick however powerful a ford v8 in it you wish. But even with the 32V 4.6 / 320hp they will do near 1:50 at Sears, and right around 2:00 at Thunderhill.

The SCCA GT-2 spec cars are a bit pricier, but if you don't care about being class-specific (as per this thread) you don't need to go that route.

Steve