Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

With pivot tables. And lots of conditional formatting.

Pidgin is another well-done all-in-one IM program.

Speaking of bloatware, what's with this new "Adobe DLM" crap you get when you try to download Flash? Do I really need to download a download manager just to download my download?

Speaking of bloatware, what's with this new "Adobe DLM" crap you get when you try to download Flash? Do I really need to download a download manager just to download my download?

I got that crap too when getting Adobe Reader (Foxit kept crashing firefox...) annoying and didn't seem to "accelerate" jack squat...:p:rolleyes:

Blizzard does the same thing with a lot of their high-res movies.

Just tried JDownloader because of all the praise it has been getting, and didn't really like it. The interface was nice, but the speeds just don't come close to my faithful Free Download Manager.

Damnit...

So I've been tweaking resolution settings, and I think there's arguments between Nvidea's, Windows 7's and UltraMon's settings.

I think I've finally gotten them to cooperate, but now my desktop icons...seem like they have more vertical space between them, and it looks like it won't let me put icons within an inch of the taskbar...I can't put stuff right in the corners.

edit: hmm...also noticed that quite a few of the icons have very thin square outlines aound them...odd...

So I figured out the icon square outline problem...apparently, with 32 bit color, and the icon size, there was some sort of conflict where the math doesn't line-up correctly. So, I just ctrl+scroll-wheel-one-click-back.

Still can't figure out why there's a gap between the task bar, and the lowest it lets me put the bottom icon...

This:

onkyos-dx-dual-screen-laptop.jpg

Hackintoshed with VMware would kick ass. OSX on one screen, Windows on the other.

Except that it really doesnt like MSN chats and drops you every 5 minutes and does not understand URL's in status windows. It's lightweight but needs alot of work.
I had to download 3,7GB's from Adobe and the DLM was very handy indeed. Asus is another site that uses them with great success, because their normal servers are run by chinese children on pedal bikes.

I used to use Gozilla back in the days of dialup, but the only download manager I use now is DownloadThemAll, for downloading from multiple links on Rapidshare to a folder that is different to my FF default folder.

I use jDownloader for multiple links on premium hosting sites, since it does all the waiting for you, but the actual interface isn't all that great. It eats resources too. Free Download Manager is the best I've used so far but I rarely use one at all.

re:wifi not working on Linux

Get connected another way and run an automatic update. A similar thing happened to me with Fedora (except it was out of the blue) and I think it turned out to be a kernel update which required a new driver, or something. All I know is the driver disappeared and was then included in the next update.

Odd. Does it recognize that the card is there at all? For example, make sure it shows up when you run the command 'lspci.' You could also try downloading the driver manually.

Rockbox
Using you Ipod, without ITunes, and with a lot more functions and codecs.

Hum, looks really interesting but nothing specified about shuffles (not that you knew I had that since I didn't say), and I know those are sometimes problematic. I have both a gen1 and gen2 shuffle. I don't suppose I'd mind trying it on the gen1. The plastic body is cracking pretty severely and the slider doesn't always select the right playback mode now. I don't expect it'll hold up much longer. I'll read closer and see if there are any known shuffle issues/hacks/fixes.

I do think apple is striking out with the new shuffles though. They're too small and fiddly. I love how the gen1 can charge on ANY computer, itunes or not, without any additional hardware. That's a really nice feature that I'm sure cuts into Apple's profit margins for selling extra crap. :)