The Gun thread

Have you looked at Swarovski?

Yup, and US Optics. I'm hoping to get away with a great scope that doesn't cost as much as my previous XJR did. :p

Im looking at getting a simple, no frills, high quality 9mm full size.

i know its almost a cliche but im really interested in a plain Glock 17. I also like the taurus 24/7, really like the feel of that gun.

any advice from the local gun-gurus?

Also, anyone here messed around with the FN FiveseveN? thats another interesting gun albeit way out of my price range

Glocks are fine. The Taurus 24/7 is known to be a bit rough at times and quality can be a bit spotty. Also consider the Springfield XD in 9mm and if you really want a basic no frills 'service pistol' type, Ruger has plenty of options for you at good prices. The KP94 was recently adopted as an alternative service pistol by the US Army, and all the Rugers emphasize sturdiness, durability and reliability over everything else. They're only 'averagely' accurate, but you can use a Ruger as a hammer and it won't care.

I scooted off with a pallet load of Federal .308 168gr Gold Medal Sierra Match King
A pallet? Jesus how many rounds is that? Well I guess you have to get it before it gets taxed in the future, but damn. Well you are now fully prepared for the revolution.

Last edited:
A pallet? Jesus how many rounds is that?

This was a smallish pallet with some boxes missing from the top. I got 40 cases of 100 rounds each. I'm pretty sure the guy made a pricing mistake because I got them at the same price everyone else was asking for Winchester White Box 'normal' non-match 7.62/.308 in those quantities.

Has little to do with taxation (I need the practice) but it has an awful lot to do with "idiot selling ammo at 60% off" and taking advantage of it before someone wised him up. I gave him his chance to correct the error - I asked to make sure that was the price he wanted to sell at and he gave me the "if'n ya don't like the price, ya c'n take a walk" attitude. So I neglected to tell him he was selling match ammo for 60% off and took off with every box he had left instead.

Last edited:
See I misunderstood the size of a pallet. I was thinking more along three or four times that size.

Larger ones do exist, but you need a forklift to move them and they easily exceed the payload of my truck.

There were ones at the show that were 100 cases of 100, for example. Just for the record, I went early, then went back on the last day to see if I'd missed anything. Most of the major rifle caliber ammo was gone. One vendor had brought four of the 100x100 pallets with him and he said that he'd sold out by the morning of the second day.

Last edited:
Exactly, I was thinking forklift sized shipping pallets. Good buy then, I expect your FAL will soon be happy at the range/shooting coyotes.

Well, if that idiot is there at the next show with the same ammo at the same price and there is more than will fit in my truck, I will go rent a trailer and buy all he has.

At which point I will turn around and sell deeply discounted Federal Gold Medal on various firearms boards at an unheard of discount that will be my cost plus 15%. :D

Glocks are fine. The Taurus 24/7 is known to be a bit rough at times and quality can be a bit spotty. Also consider the Springfield XD in 9mm and if you really want a basic no frills 'service pistol' type, Ruger has plenty of options for you at good prices. The KP94 was recently adopted as an alternative service pistol by the US Army, and all the Rugers emphasize sturdiness, durability and reliability over everything else. They're only 'averagely' accurate, but you can use a Ruger as a hammer and it won't care.

Thanks for the reply. rep to you good sir.

Darth, I also suggest the Springfield Armory XD9. It will be a few dollars more than a Glock. But, a good, used one will be just as good. Probably my favorite 9mm I ever owned.

I played with the 5/7 a bit. It's a good pistol. The The issue you will have is getting the ammo at a decent price.

Actually, the XD should be the same price if not a bit cheaper than the Glock offerings.

Yeah, ive heard a lot of good things about the XD. Thanks guys

Spectre, do you know if Springfield Armory still sells rebadged IMBEL pistols?

Well, they still sell 1911-class pistols made with IMBEL frames, but the frames and slides are the only things made by IMBEL. The rest is made in the US. The exceptions are the G.I. and Mil-Spec variants, which are assembled to lower (but still good) tolerances using IMBEL parts in Brazil. All of them start out as IMBEL forgings, though - but the high end SA 1911s start out as unmachined IMBEL forgings and have all the machine work done in the US. This is how they are able to offer such high quality 1911s at such reasonable prices.

I don't think they've ever sold a rebadged IMBEL pistol (i.e., a pistol that started out as an IMBEL product and then got rebadged by SA). I could be wrong, though - I didn't track SA until relatively recently and I had no reason to pay much attention to them prior to the XD. Which, by the way, started out as the Croatian IM Metal HS2000, but with some well-needed modifications became the XD. It is still sold as the HS2000 in both original and Springfield-specs around the world.

Why?

Last edited:
Also you might consider a Sig 226.

Sigs are expensive for what you (don't) get. Good guns, though.

Well, they still sell 1911-class pistols made with IMBEL frames, but the frames and slides are the only things made by IMBEL. The rest is made in the US. The exceptions are the G.I. and Mil-Spec variants, which are assembled to lower (but still good) tolerances using IMBEL parts in Brazil. All of them start out as IMBEL forgings, though - but the high end SA 1911s start out as unmachined IMBEL forgings and have all the machine work done in the US. This is how they are able to offer such high quality 1911s at such reasonable prices.

I don't think they've ever sold a rebadged IMBEL pistol (i.e., a pistol that started out as an IMBEL product and then got rebadged by SA). I could be wrong, though - I didn't track SA until relatively recently and I had no reason to pay much attention to them prior to the XD. Which, by the way, started out as the Croatian IM Metal HS2000, but with some well-needed modifications became the XD. It is still sold as the HS2000 in both original and Springfield-specs around the world.

Why?

Yesterday I stumbled upon an old (1991!) gun magazine, and it had an article about the new (at the time) IMBEL .380 pistols and a little background info on the company. That included some info about how the company already had success selling guns on the US market, namely the M911 A1. In that article, they claim this particular gun to be entirely made here in Brazil. I was just curious if that was the case nowadays.:)
Also, I think they are kinda nice and was curious to know your opinion about them.:mrgreen:

Due to some idiotic laws (IIRC) and not a lot of demand for a large-frame minor caliber handgun, the .380 variant is not sold here and never has been. Springfield and IMBEL continue to have a tight relationship and both parties continue to make high quality firearms. As best I can tell, having IMBEL make 1911's was Springfield's idea, but the end result was a quality forged firearm at a price point where almost all other makers only offer cast frames. (There is nothing wrong with cast frames, it is just that forged is inherently better in general for longevity.) Springfield gets good pistols and good frames for pistols out of the relationship, IMBEL gets first-world top notch engineering help and design aid, customers either get outstanding value for money in a service/defense weapon or a top notch very high quality high end weapon for a rational price. Everyone goes home happy.

Last edited:
Are rifles with pistol grips legal or illegal for those under 21 in Texas?

Are rifles with pistol grips legal or illegal for those under 21 in Texas?

There is no state restriction on rifles if you are over 18. Why would pistol-gripped rifles be illegal?

The Feds don't restrict it either. The restriction is on pistols, not rifles with pistol grips.

There is no state restriction on rifles if you are over 18. Why would pistol-gripped rifles be illegal?

The Feds don't restrict it either. The restriction is on pistols, not rifles with pistol grips.

I had heard yesterday from a friend that pistol-gripped rifles were illegal to buy for those under 21. Didn't think it was true, but I thought i'd ask.