Random Thoughts....

Seems I have now

<---------------------?Shifted into Fourth Gear? :lol:

Quiky has been having more fun!

Hahaha, oh Quiky. :lol:

Weird...the point comments never show up for me in Firefox. They do on other message boards, but not this one. :cry:

Must open in Chrome, I guess.

Look in the LED section. They have clear/white LED C9 replacements there too.

Save money and energy, without being an ecomentalist. :D
Hmm...those will work in a regular string?

I may give that a try and see if the odd LED doesn't stand out too much.

I still prefer the warmer look of the normal lights, though. Baby seals and coco's electric bill be damned!

This is me, Monday morning, I'm going to work. Truely. Lift my butt off the chair and get in the car. Yup, I'm on my way. This is me leaving. Turning off the computer, get my bag and leave.

Although I should have left 20 minutes ago.

What's another couple of minutes?

Yup, leaving now. Promise. Well, when I say now, in a second or two. Just go to finish writing this.

Oh it's shaping up to be a good day! Not.

Yup, leaving now.

Really.

Hmm...those will work in a regular string?

I may give that a try and see if the odd LED doesn't stand out too much.

I still prefer the warmer look of the normal lights, though. Baby seals and coco's electric bill be damned!

They came out with warm toned leds around here. Whether or not you can get just the spares or you have to buy a whole string I don't know, but they have the same color as the old incandescent bulbs.

Good luck for the interview mate. ;)

I'll need it. Thanks!

Main thing for me is to not get nervous. As soon as I stress out, I'll lost my composure.

Has anyone here had questions like "what are some of your weaknesses?" asked in interviews?

Yep. And I hate answering those kinds of BS questions. What are my weaknesses? I gave references and employment history for a reason. Ask them.

My least favorite of them all is "what do you expect to get out of this job?" If it's something filmy, great, I'll get experience. If it's some dull peon job that I'm just applying for to get extra cash, though, my answer is "money." In all honesty, that's the only reason I'm applying in the first place.

I think I'm just going to cite a past weakeness and list out how I dealt with it. It seems to me they're just looking to make sure you are self-aware.

Yep. And I hate answering those kinds of BS questions. What are my weaknesses? I gave references and employment history for a reason. Ask them.

You are suppose to reverse it to positive and tell them on which areas you'd like to improve. Job interviews are about finding suitable people for the company and the job in hand. You might have the required qualifications and they can train you for the job, but they can not change your personality. Well motivated employees are always better investment, no matter how small the actual pay is. References and employment history is not going to tell anything. Being prepared for questions and having some of your own tells you are genuinely interested and motivated which will rank you much higher against all those kids with sloppy hand shake.

^Exactly. There is no such thing as perfect, to improve you need to know where.

Last edited:
Has anyone here had questions like "what are some of your weaknesses?" asked in interviews?

Honestly, no. I guess my industry is different.

At the interview for my current job, I actually got asked a lot of technical questions up front, then some background questions. The we bullshitted and told jokes and stuff the rest of the time. I think they were looking for someone who fit in personality-wise.

Anyway, good luck. Hope you have as good an experience as mine was. :)

But abrasive = funny.

(...unless you're camelfarmer.)

Honestly, no. I guess my industry is different.

At the interview for my current job, I actually got asked a lot of technical questions up front, then some background questions. The we bullshitted and told jokes and stuff the rest of the time. I think they were looking for someone who fit in personality-wise.

Anyway, good luck. Hope you have as good an experience as mine was. :)

I'd be pretty worried if they started asking technical questions since

a) I'm still a student
b) I haven't worked on an industrial project before
c) My technical knowledge on gas turbine theory is only very simple, basic crap with far too many assumptions to apply in real life.

BTW, if anyone was wondering, the interview is with Alstom power services, which is a subsidiary of Alstom and they mainly handle power plant maintenance, retrofit upgrades and other similiar tasks.

I hope to hell they interview me in English. I'd feel much more confident being interviewed in full english than Cantonese because I know I'll end up mixing the two when answering questions....

Either way, it should be a good learning experience.

Last edited:
Do not worry they do not want you to head up their next research project - just get the tea.

See how I noticed you were not a yank - that wouls be "Just get the coffee".

Well, yeah, obviously I'm not heading up a whole fucken new power-plant development, but still.

I guess I'm nervous because I really fucken want this job. I really want to head in this direction in my career anyway, so its a great step into the door.

A theory I have is that they may well get me to do measurements at some sites in HK since there are plans on construcing wind turbines around HK. I know Alstom has a similar project running back here in Australia.

Sorry - good luck mate - tell them you want to work for them - you know about them = what they do, who owns them, their rep in the market, what the share price is and which way its been going recently? Tell them you are enthusastic and want to make a career with them etc.

No really best of luck mate - I really wish you well.