The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Ha, yes- I was going to ask you about 'em! :D

Hmm, the only thing I'm worried about is the maintenance of the Beemers. I'd really have to learn how to take apart the bike and put it back together before attempting this trip. :lol:

Here's a top tip from a former BMW owner: unless you are planning on doing some off-road riding, forget about the Beamers. I found my Gixxer to be better at eating road than the BMW, i know I'm a tiny person, but still...

The R and F models are not very comfortable when riding long distances on asphalt..
Something like the Honda ST1300A would be a better choice I think..

Except that's precisely what I want to do.

Durrr, I feel a tad stupid now. :idiot:
I just realised that what I thought was the piece my mirrors screw onto is actually still a part of the original mirrors.

So I simply have M10 right/right screw holes for my mirrors - that makes it a lot easier!

Does anyone else have any riding rituals they take part in? I've got a little thing I do and it makes riding just that much more fun. I decorated my current helmet to look like one that the Ohio State football team uses. And just like they add Buckeye leaf stickers to their helmets for achievements on the field, I add some to mine for what I do on the road. Every 100km I add another sticker. That distance may not sound like much but when your ability to ride at the posted speed limit depends on how strongly the wind is blowing it's quite an achievement. :lol:

My lid next to a miniature replica of the handeggists headgear:
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ka/kajun/2009/12/09/009a.JPG

^ You should add one for every cager you blow off from the lights, like a WWII dogfighter. :D

(Yeah, it's totally immature, if by immature you mean AWESOME.)

I always talk to my bikes before we set off...

^ That reminded me of another thing I do: I pet the headlight after each ride as a thank you to the bike for getting me back safe.

^ You should add one for every cager you blow off from the lights, like a WWII dogfighter. :D

Would I also have to remove a sticker for each time the bus carrying the attractive Japanese girls who were waving and seemed quite amused by me pulls away at the speed limit leaving me with nothing to do about it?

:cry:

I'm going to need a bigger helmet...

Nice helmet, KaJuN!

Hm, usually, it's the same thing every morning - "You'd better start up properly Tigger or else I'mma..."

Sadly, I haven't used that line in a while now! :cry:

Triumph_Thruxton_SE_1.jpg

I need this in my life.

2010 Triumph Thruxton SE.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/09/...autoblog+(Autoblog)&utm_content=Google+Reader

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/12/10/thermahelm.jpg

We're sure this comes as a shock to nobody, but here we go anyway: brain swelling is bad. Very bad. That thick, hard skull surrounding your brain is great at providing a good deal of protection, but when things go awry in a big way, there isn't much room in there to let your brain expand.

Cooling the brain in some manner is apparently a good way to reduce swelling, and a company from the U.K. called Thermahelm has worked up a new motorcycle helmet that incorporates a layer ammonium nitrate and water that instantly mixes in the event of a crash. The chemical reaction will maintain a 37-degree brain temperature, which is said to stave off oxygen loss to the brain.

According to Thermahelm, its technology will add roughly $250 to the cost of a helmet, and the company is currently working on a retrofit kit that will allow riders to install the system in their own helmets. Click past the break to watch a nifty video animating the technology.

I've always liked those retro-style Triumphs. Friend of mine had one few years back. Don't remember the model but it was pretty new.

I can't believe i forgot to mention this. When i crashed i was wearing a Shark RSR2. My head hit the curb at about 50mph.. I suffered not even a concussion..

That helmet is astonishing and i'd fully recommend it to anyone. Really. It saved my life without doubt.

Just thought i'd mention that!

Do you still have the helmet? I'd be willing to bet that Shark would like to see it and hear your experience.

Do you still have the helmet? I'd be willing to bet that Shark would like to see it and hear your experience.

So would I!

And that cooling thingy you posted looks quite nifty as well, Blind. Great innovative thinking there! Although I'm wondering how sensitive it is? I.e. if, say, accidentally dropping your helmet on the floor would already trigger it. :think:

moto-guzzi-griso-8v-se.jpg

Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE

I just saw that, damn fine looking motorcycle.

Yay for Keith Code! I really need to read his books. He just finished coaching a local Ergonomics class a few weeks ago for some of the Bay Area riders (which was actually conducted by Dave's ol' Chiropractor). Good guy it seems.