It's a good time to be in the Collision Repair business in CT.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580139,00.html

SHELTON, Conn. ? Police say at least 50 cars crashed in a chain-reaction collision on a wet Connecticut road that was turning icy, and 46 people reported minor injuries.

1_21_a450.jpg

Shelton police Detective Sgt. Kevin Ahern says six people were taken to hospitals from the wreck that happened shortly after noon Sunday on state route 110. None of the injuries were life-threatening.

WFSB says the southwestern Connecticut road has been closed for more than five hours so authorities can continue investigating the accident. Police expected it to reopen early Sunday evening.

Pfft. New England drivers are retarded.

If those were Texas drivers in ice, nobody would have survived. :lol:

Nah. Texas drivers can be pretty awful, but usually instead of piling into each other like that, they end up in the bar ditch instead.

San Francisco drivers wouldn't have stood a chance. Its sunny and dry here almost 3/4 of the year straight, that even in a light, misting rain, they freak out. Its hilarious. Make it ice over and they don't stand a chance. Probably a good way to get rid of hundreds of Priuses all in one go though.

A few years ago wasn't there some snow that fell just east of Oakland on the other side of the tunnels? Everyone came shooting out of the tunnels doing 70 into snow, then slid down the hill into a massive pileup. I seem to recall seeing something in the news about that.

I witnessed something like this on a smaller scale last Wednesday, on Route 93 South here in central New Hampshire. I was heading to southern NH with a friend of mine in the Versa and suddenly we got hit by a snow shower (I can't really call it a storm) and the road surface turned to ice. A few cars roughly a hundred feet in front of me slammed into eachother and went off the road. Traffic slowed to ~5mph for the next ten miles. Along with the first accident, there were another ten cars off the road in various places - one of which was rolled over.

Some statistics:
12 or 13 cars off the road
11 had Massachusetts plates
3 were Toyota 4-Runners (one of which had rolled over and down an embankment)
Including the above three 4-runners, 8 were sport utility vehicles.
Also included was a beat-up Oldsmobile and a Volvo 850. I don't remember the other cars.

I found the SUV majority to be hilarious, yet unsurprising. And to think that I handled the entire situation just fine in my FWD Versa, which is still running the Sentra SE-R rims with sport tires as I wait for my OEM steelies to arrive with studded snows. I guess it helps that my past two cars that I drove over the winters here had bald tires and at least one nonfunctional brake. :rolleyes:

When people hit snow in an SUV or any AWD they think they're invincible. The majority of all slide-offs I see every winter are SUVs and Subarus.

When people hit snow in an SUV or any AWD they think they're invincible. The majority of all slide-offs I see every winter are SUVs and Subarus.

Gah! I swear, almost every SUV/'4-wheel' drive/all wheel drive owner should be required to take a course on how to drive in snow or on ice.

Here in Ohio, as I type, it's snowing.

I mean...fer the love of Gawd! White stuff...falling from the sky!? In winter!? It's...it's absolutely...

Normal.

My brother is a prime example. He has a hideously huge Suburban. Then he laughs at my Taurus over the subject of winter driving.

I tried to explain that...if I hit a patch of ice, my car weighs about 3200 pounds..and I have good tires. I can probably stop in a decent amount of distance.

His bloated SUV has to weigh more than 7500 pounds, so he'll take a lot longer to stop as he slides all over.

Heavier isn't always better on ice....

*hates Ohio drivers in winter*