Random Thoughts....

Whoo hoo! After several months of creeping me out, my TV has stopped changing channels on its own!

So...does anyone else think it odd that someone would get upset if you used their last name as your character's middle name in something? Like say you wrote a story or a play, and you knew a guy named Jim Johnson, and you named your main character Jack Johnson Jenkins. Now, after reading/seeing said story/play, Jim comes to you and says "Could you please change or remove your character's middle name because its my last name and I don't like that."

I just had someone at my LARP (who also happens to be on staff for the game but that's irrelevant) send me a message like that and I find it absolutely stupid. Its a name, who cares? Its not like you're the ONLY one with that last name in the world.

I share my last name with a street and an island. I'm not gonna go ask the street and the island to change their names. <_<

:wave: If I only knew what the post card said! :)

But I do recognize the f holes though - back in high school actually, most of the girls wanted to get a tat of the f holes on their backs... I guess that's what happens when you go to an Arts High. :lol:

It says, *roughly* translated:

KIKI
The Queen of Montparnasse

A striking graphic novel of a time after which art has never been the same.

So...does anyone else think it odd that someone would get upset if you used their last name as your character's middle name in something? Like say you wrote a story or a play, and you knew a guy named Jim Johnson, and you named your main character Jack Johnson Jenkins. Now, after reading/seeing said story/play, Jim comes to you and says "Could you please change or remove your character's middle name because its my last name and I don't like that."

I just had someone at my LARP (who also happens to be on staff for the game but that's irrelevant) send me a message like that and I find it absolutely stupid. Its a name, who cares? Its not like you're the ONLY one with that last name in the world.

I share my last name with a street and an island. I'm not gonna go ask the street and the island to change their names. <_<

Tell them it's a coincidence and that they should sod off because it sounds nice.

Also, LARPers :lol:

I bet a neighbor had a really powerful universal remote or something like that.

That was always a possibility, but the pattern was VERY consistent every single day for months. It was much more consistent than I can imagine a person ever being. Let's Make a Deal would start and then there would be a spot of staticy sound and the channel would change up one digital notch (from 93-1 to 93-2). It happened at exactly the same point in LMAD in exactly that way every day. If my neighbor is that consistent, I'll be impressed!

Tell them it's a coincidence and that they should sod off because it sounds nice.

Also, LARPers :lol:

Seriously, when your name is "Johnson" you're going to come across it in other contexts sometimes.

Regardless, I'd be flattered, not angry.

It says, *roughly* translated:

KIKI
The Queen of Montparnasse

A striking graphic novel of a time after which art has never been the same.

Thanks Posmo! And of course, Kiki de Montparnasse. :wub:

Seriously, when your name is "Johnson" you're going to come across it in other contexts sometimes.

Regardless, I'd be flattered, not angry.

Well, her name isn't Johnson, that was just an example, but still. <_<

Regarding the name thing, I think it depends on how common the name is and how flatteringly the character is portrayed. If it hits a few unflattering nerves close to home, I can see asking to change it.

Ugh, Running off little sleep and had no time for coffee this morning. Today will be fun.

:wave: If I only knew what the post card said! :)

But I do recognize the f holes though - back in high school actually, most of the girls wanted to get a tat of the f holes on their backs... I guess that's what happens when you go to an Arts High. :lol:

Yeap, Posmo pretty much translated it already. I used to play the violin for ten years (haven't touched it in ten years now, too) so f-holes are familiar for me, too :cool:

^Awesome! Sigh, there was nothing too sexy about a concert grand piano. At least the string players got the f-holes. :lol:

^Awesome! Sigh, there was nothing too sexy about a concert grand piano. At least the string players got the f-holes. :lol:

Oh I beg to differ. I've heard quite some stories involving grand pianos.

:hmm: Ah yes, 'tis quite useful for certain activities. ;)

I guess I was thinking about the aesthetics regarding a grand piano - it's just big, bulky, and useful for dropping on Morris Marinas.

And of course, I'll still be thinking, poor violin!