Not sure why, but this ad struck me as... well... just read it

Scott

Car(s)
'13 Hyundai Sonata, '95 Audi S-6 '06 Jetta TDI
At first I giggled at all the "green-ness" of it, and then I started wondering what this is doing for soy farmers, and then I was just sort of sad that selling cars has come down to how friendly they can be to the planet... it is a pretty weak premise IMO.

Ford_screencap.jpg

"Good news! Ford is the first automaker to develop and use soy-based foam seats!"

"Wow! Now, the Ferrari 458..."

Soylent Green Seat Foam? It's made out of people - for people to sit on!

Soylent Green Seat Foam? It's made out of people - for people to sit on!
Yo dawg, I herd you like sittin' so I made you seats out of dawgs...

From a foreign oil independence idea, it's a good start. Might as well use plastics based on domestically-grown soy (with tractors powered by foreign diesel, maybe, but never mind that) rather than on foreign oil. Ford's been doing things with soy plastics for ages, so it's perfectly in character for them.

i don't think audi owners care a lot that ford makes soy-bean seats :lol:

At first I giggled at all the "green-ness" of it, and then I started wondering what this is doing for soy farmers, and then I was just sort of sad that selling cars has come down to how friendly they can be to the planet... it is a pretty weak premise IMO.
You know, on price, I bet normal seats and soy-based seats are pretty equal... which means this isn't really ecomentalism.

It makes Ford happy by, at the very least, giving them a nice marketing blurb without any extra cost to them. It makes farmers happy by boosting soybean production. It makes greeners happy by being more biodegradable. It makes owners happy by, hopefully, being as comfortable as regular seats. Everyone wins!

It makes Ford happy by, at the very least, giving them a nice marketing blurb without any extra cost to them. It makes farmers happy by boosting soybean production. It makes greeners happy by being more biodegradable. It makes owners happy by, hopefully, being as comfortable as regular seats. Everyone wins!

Except for people in poor countries who depend on soy for food. They will suffer from the rising soy prices this will cause if it catches on big time. It's the same as with so called eco-fuel: Every acre of third-world country used to grow fuel is one acre less to grow food on...

Great idea, Ford and all you bearded hippies: Save the planet by killing off the poor!

The seats in my car are actually made out of recycled Fords.

Which must explain all the blood.

i don't think audi owners care a lot that ford makes soy-bean seats :lol:

I am a Ford supporter too, just don't happen to own any right now (but I have owned 4 of them in the past).

Great idea, Ford and all you bearded hippies: Save the planet by killing off the poor!
Mmm, good point.

I know how to solve that, though; make seats out of poor people!

Am I the only one who wants my car seat foam made from synthetic materials that wont break down over time and need replacing?

Some packing peanuts are made of potato starch; you can tell so by putting it on your tongue that it will dissolve, or when holding them they are sticky on moist fingers.

I won $20 from someone by tricking them to bet on me NOT eating packing peanuts.

The seats in my cars are made from dead cows and foams created from North Sea oil. The body panels are made from recycled warships. :D

Some packing peanuts are made of potato starch; you can tell so by putting it on your tongue that it will dissolve, or when holding them they are sticky on moist fingers.

I won $20 from someone by tricking them to bet on me NOT eating packing peanuts.

They also dissolve handily in water, excellent way to get rid of the things. Just toss them in the sink and get out the sprayer.