SILLY SEASON 2009/2010

hahaha. That may be a highlight for the season for me. Virgin vs. AirAsia.

Finally some charismatic owners/principals to duke it out! I couldn't imagine a flavio v. luca, or williams v. dennis.. Or any of them.. all such serious business.

hey, as long as this air stewardess thing doesn't descend into a flavio-in-a-thong 2.0, I'm okay with that :p :lol:

Hehe, that's gonna be a fun one. My money is on Virgin Manor though.

Same here, I think Virgin will most probably have the upperhand.

As i said, Lotus is a factory team, Virgin is not. Still, Branson is a certified lunatic and most likely has more cash to spend than Proton, so my money's on Virgin.

Hahahahaha.

I think I want Lotus to win this, just to get back at Branson for making the bet in the first place. That'd be hilarious.

Hahahahaha.

I think I want Lotus to win this, just to get back at Branson for making the bet in the first place. That'd be hilarious.
well really Fernandez started it by saying he would kill himself if he loses to virgin.

That Kamui kid got a spot at Sauber

Autosport.com said:
Kobayashi joins Sauber for 2010

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, December 17th 2009, 08:09 GMT

Kamui Kobayashi will race on in Formula 1 next year after signing a deal with the Sauber team for 2010.

The Japanese made a strong impression during two outings for Toyota in the Brazilian and Abu Dhabi Grands Prix this year - earning respect for the way he battled with Jenson Button in both events.

His performances had appeared to have been enough to secure him a ride with the Toyota team for 2010, but those plans were scuppered when the Japanese manufacturer pulled out of F1.

However, following weeks of talks, Kobayashi has concluded a deal with Sauber to join the team that is taking over from BMW's operations.

Speaking about the move, Kobayashi said: "Ever since the start of my career I have dreamed of racing in Formula 1. Now this dream has come true.

"I am very happy that my two races in 2009 have earned me a cockpit place. I will do my very best for Peter Sauber?s team and I am proud to be able to carry on flying the Japanese flag in Formula 1."

Sauber boss Peter Sauber said his decision had been fuelled by the fact that Kobayashi made such a strong showing in the last two races of the year - despite not having sat in an F1 car for several months before that.

"I?m very much looking forward to working together with Kamui," said Sauber.

"In the final two Grand Prix of last season he was granted an unexpected chance to show his skills, and he made impressive use of it.

"Particularly in the Abu Dhabi race he demonstrated not only that he can drive fast and aggressively, but also his ability to successfully implement a strategy. I am convinced he has a great deal of potential and will be able to make the most of it in our team."

Kobayashi revealed after Abu Dhabi that if he did not land a race seat in F1 for next year his lack of funding would probably mean he would have to return home to Japan to work in his father?s sushi restaurant.

That's very good news. Hopefully he delivers on the promising form he showed in Brazil and Abu Dhabi. And, for his sake, let's hope Sauber have the car ready for Bahrain. (At least they have more time to integrate the new engine than Brawn had)

Very good news indeed. I've got a feeling that we'll see a lot of great stuff from Kobayashi!

4 new teams, Button vs Hamilton duking it out, Schumacher seemingly to come in, Virgin/Lotus skirmish, Kamui having a seat... This season is looking like a very good one!

And just when we thought Formula 1 2009 was fantastic after 2008, things get even better! Will be fantastic if we can see 5 or more teams having wins. :D

For next year I'm rooting for Ferrari, here's to a recovery from 2009.

Starting Drivers with contracts or team ending at seasons end (4):

Nick Heidfeld (Sauber? Mercedes?)
Romain Grosjean (Future has been thrown up in the air, but I expect he'll re-sign, at the least a test-driver.)
Kazuki Nakajima (Leaving Williams. Maybe out of F1.)
Nelson Piquet (Campos? NASCAR? A spot in hell?)

Test/Back up Drivers with contracts ending at the end of the year (7):

Pedro de la Rosa (Probably back with McLaren. Has been linked with Campos)
Gary Paffet (Was linked with Prodrive at one point. Who knows where he is going.)
Christian Klien (Staying with Sauber?)
David Coulthard (Has said he would like to race again, but who would give him a seat? Expect to stay with the BBC.)
Brendon Hartley (STR? The only reason he left was to concentrate more on his F3 and Renault World Series racing.)
Anthony Davidson (Give this man a seat! Has been linked with Manor/Virgin and Lotus.)
Alexander Wurtz (Tried to start his own team. I wonder where he will end up.)

McLaren-Mercedes
#1: Jenson Button (Signed 11/18 to a 3 year deal)
#2: Lewis Hamilton (Signed extension in 2008.)

Mercedes Grand Prix
#3: Nico Rosberg (Signed 11/23.)
#4: EMPTY!!!!!

Red Bull Racing
#5: Sebastien Vettel (Signed in 2008.)
#6 Mark Webber (Signed during season.)

Scuderia Ferrari
#7 Felipe Massa (Signed in 2008.)
#8 Fernando Alonso (Signed 9/30 to a 3 year contract.)
Test Driver: Giancarlo Fisichella (Signed at Monza.)
Test Driver: Luca Badoer (Does still have a contract with them.)
Test Driver: Marc Gene (Does still have a contract with them.)

Williams F1
#9 Rubens Barrichello (Signed 11/2.)
#10 Nico Hulkenberg (Signed 11/2. Rookie)

Renault F1
#11 Robert Kubica (Signed 10/07.)
#12 EMPTY!!!!!

Force India F1
#14 Adrian Sutil (Signed 11/27.)
#15 Viantonio Liuzzi (Signed 11/27. Signed through 2011.)

Scuderia Toro Rosso
#16 Sebastien Buemi (Signed 11/9.)
#17 Jaime Alguersuari (Claims he has a contract.)

Lotus F1 Racing
#18 Jarno Trulli (Signed 12/14. Signed through 2011.)
#19 Heikki Kovalainen (Signed 12/14. Signed through 2011.)
Test Driver: Fairuz Fauzy (Signed 12/14. Last was with Spyker in 2007 as TD. Rookie.)

Campos Meta-Dallara

#20 EMPTY
#21 Bruno Senna (Signed 10/31. Rookie. Signed through 2011.)

USF1
#22 EMPTY
#23 EMPTY

Virgin Racing
#24 Timo Glock (Signed 11/17. Signed through 2011.)
#25 Lucas di Grassi (Signed 12/15. Rookie.)
Test driver: Alvaro Parente (Signed 12/15. Rookie.)
Test driver: Luiz Razia (Signed 12/15. Rookie.)

Sauber F1
#26? Kamui Kobayashi (Signed 12/17. First full season.)
#27? EMPTY

Drivers leaving F1 for sure next season. (2)

Kimi Raikkonen - World Rally Championship - Citroen Junior WRC (McLaren talks ended 11/17. Signed 12/4.)
Sebastien Bourdais - Superleague Formula - Sevilla FC (Canned from STR 7/16. Supposedly also in talks with both Peugeot in LMS and several IRL teams for next year)

Thoughts?

Absolutely fantastic news. This is great, I hope he lives up to the expectation.

Last edited:
Yay! Koba banzaaaaiiiii!!! :banana::thumbsup:

This is the best F1 related news I've heard for some time!

I'm also really happy that Kovalainen has got a seat too, but that's more of a sympathy thing for a clearly very nice bloke than anything else. Still bummed over Kimi, though. :(

At least Kimi is doing what he wants to do, and that's driving. We should be happy for him.