Brand new Q5 stolen, not insured, christmas ruined.

whats car theft like in the uk anyways?

I rarely think twice about leaving my car somewhere because thieves here usually just go for accords, civics, or trucks, not newer acuras

The second part of the story with the wife-held hostage thing is a prime example of why people should be allowed to own guns. I bet that wouldn't have happened if that guy had a shotgun by the bed...

[/awaits flames]

The second part of the story with the wife-held hostage thing is a prime example of why people should be allowed to own guns. I bet that wouldn't have happened if that guy had a shotgun by the bed...

[/awaits flames]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVL9DhMp3U[/YOUTUBE]

Its not really a matter of exporting them, at least in Australia. Its a matter of rebirthing them, or just drug addicts wanting something to do. Years ago my mums 1986 Toyota Corolla was stolen, luckily nothing was taken out of it and it was found a few days later parked in a housing estate. Only damage was a broken door lock. :blink:

Or they rebirth it, i.e. find a written off car of the same model and colour, and swap the plates and identity. Then sell it as a normal second-hand car, under the identity of a repaired write-off.

My friend bought a mazda 3 and still had his old piece of shit magna sitting in the street next to his mazda 3 and they stole the magna (didn't even attempt to break into the 3)

Probably because an old Fagna would be much easier to break into than a 3.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDtgPELU6I&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

for some reason, i don't think allowing people to have guns there like in the us would go over as well.

Last edited:
Car insurance here only stops, if you cancel it -- or fail to pay for it.

However, that only counts for the prehensive cover. The liability insurance is mandatory by law to protect the other participants of an accident, if you register a car, and cannot be quit or cancelled by either side.

Of course that doesn't keep insurance companies from threatening you with losing your protection, if you are behind with payments ;)

What I don't understand, though: Why is Britain so popular with car thieves? I mean all cars have to be shipped out of the country, literally. It's not like here, where you have unguarded borders everywhere. Isn't that a bit too risky for car thieves, especially if the owner and the police act quickly?

Last edited:
I am nowhere near certain, but I don't think they're exporting the cars. They're either stripping them for parts or setting them on fire.

They're probably more stripping them for parts, but they do set them on fire occasionally. Remember the Essex bits from Top Gear, with the burned out cars? :p

no no, thats the french.

Setting cars on fire has become very popular in Berlin, too.

Berlin traditionally has a big and violent left-wing extremist scene. It goes back to the days of the Cold War, when you couldn't be drafted for military service, when you were a resident of West Berlin (the city had a special political status back then).

So many of the more radical leftists "fled" there and founded an autonomous scene, that has survived until today and is still stronger represented in our capital, than anywhere else.

What makes the whole thing even more interesting, is that the current government of the state of Berlin is a coalition between the SPD (left-wing) and the Linkspartei (former communist parties joined together) and many people believe that they're not doing enough to stop those acts of violence, which so far are mainly targeted at luxury cars.

Last edited:
What makes the whole thing even more interesting, is that the current government of the state of Berlin is a coalition between the SPD (left-wing) and the Linkspartei (former communist parties joined together) and many people believe that they're not doing enough to stop those acts of violence, which so far are mainly targeted at luxury cars.

...while the conservatives call for "helicopter patrols". Yes, of couse, because ghetto birds with searchlights patroling upper-middle-class neighborhoods is a great idea and will go down with the residents even better than the odd burning Cayenne.

But seriously, what do you want to do to stop this attacks? In the two cases they actually caught the attackers, it were non-political drunken teenagers who thought they could wreak some havoc with the police (and conservatives) blaming the leftists by default.
What the leftists do is leaving bbq lighter tabs next to the tires. These will set fire to the tires, which in turn ignite the car. Once this has happened, the firebug is long gone. As the neighbourhoods they try to "liberate" from "yuppies" are, conincidentally, the "in" quarters of town, with bars on every corner, no curfew and drunken students and tourists around 24/7, you can't just police search everyone behaving suspiciously. Even if police had the manpower, searching every slightly-leftist looking guy who stands or knees close to a luxuary vehicle will have devastating effects on tourism. AND will not go down well with the resident "yuppies", who are mostly young advertising/media/artsy types who, in the eyes of the average police officer, will look like leftists and thus would suffer from this policy, too.

I am not defending the leftists in any way here. I just can't see how anything can be done against them right now.
The only people in Berlin even more useless than the leftists are the Conservatives, on top of it.

EDIT: I just looked up some numbers. While 230 torched cars in a year sound like quite a lot, almost a thrid of them were caused by torchings of corporate fleets, and on top of that, 230 out of approx. 1.2 million cars registered in Berlin (plus fleet vehicles and these operated here, but registered elsewhere for insurance reasons, like mine) are hardly enough to justify bringing out the ghetto birds.

Last edited:
...while the conservatives call for "helicopter patrols". Yes, of couse, because ghetto birds with searchlights patroling upper-middle-class neighborhoods is a great idea and will go down with the residents even better than the odd burning Cayenne.

But seriously, what do you want to do to stop this attacks? In the two cases they actually caught the attackers, it were non-political drunken teenagers who thought they could wreak some havoc with the police (and conservatives) blaming the leftists by default.
What the leftists do is leaving bbq lighter tabs next to the tires. These will set fire to the tires, which in turn ignite the car. Once this has happened, the firebug is long gone. As the neighbourhoods they try to "liberate" from "yuppies" are, conincidentally, the "in" quarters of town, with bars on every corner, no curfew and drunken students and tourists around 24/7, you can't just police search everyone behaving suspiciously. Even if police had the manpower, searching every slightly-leftist looking guy who stands or knees close to a luxuary vehicle will have devastating effects on tourism. AND will not go down well with the resident "yuppies", who are mostly young advertising/media/artsy types who, in the eyes of the average police officer, will look like leftists and thus would suffer from this policy, too.

I am not defending the leftists in any way here. I just can't see how anything can be done against them right now.
The only people in Berlin even more useless than the leftists are the Conservatives, on top of it.

There's a couple things that could be done about it, but nobody wants to do it. It's resolved the problem in certain South American cities, from what I understand.

Three words: Command. Detonated. Claymores. Problem solved. :w00t:

They're setting fire to Cayennes?

I'm failing to see the problem here.

The problem is that then they make more to replace them.