Are snow tyres really worth it ?

All-seasons are inferior to summer tires in warm weather, and inferior to winter tires in cold weather. Keep this in mind: two sets of tires will cost more than one set initially but you also get to use them for a longer period of time seeing as you're not driving on either set year-round.

Good God man, I've had mine on since the beginning of November. Maybe a month too early, considering the few times the temperature went above 50 since then, but still.

It should also be said that winter tires have reduced traction in dry and especially warm weather.

It should also be said that winter tires have reduced traction in dry and especially warm weather.

If it doesn't derail the thread too much, I'd love a 1st grade explanation of why. The sum total of my tire knowledge is the ability to check and adjust the pressure.

If it doesn't derail the thread too much, I'd love a 1st grade explanation of why. The sum total of my tire knowledge is the ability to check and adjust the pressure.

Winter tires are designed with a special rubber compound that grips best in the cold and snow/slush- technically the outermost 40-60% or so (depending on the specific tire) of winter tires has this special compound, under that is standard rubber, so once you wear away that rubber you've basically got standard all seasons. In the summer it is generally neither cold nor snowy, so the tire is being used in a manner in which it wasn't designed for, hence lower performance.

Huh, mine seemed fine when I was going 100+ MPH in 60-degree F weather :dunno:. V-rating ftw.

The main problem with winter tyres in warm weather is hugely increased tyre wear - the rubber becomes softer and rubs off more :)lol:), and all the little cuts and slits mean a bit more rolling resistance, thus more fuel.

Dry traction is reduced a bit simply by having less surface touching the road... that doesn't really matter much though because you rarely have major issues with traction in dry weather.

The "get two sets because you can keep them for twice the distance" argument against the increased costs only works if you drive enough distance every year, ie you wear down the tyres in maybe six or seven years. By then you should consider swapping irregardless of wear to combat rubber aging :cry:

Huh, mine seemed fine when I was going 100+ MPH in 60-degree F weather :dunno:. V-rating ftw.

S or T would have sufficed for lowly 100mph :tease:

Last edited:
From my personal experience I can say that snow tires are quite useful. I had one winter on summer tires and it was, let's say "interesting": Braking distance on snow increased dramatically and on more than one occasion I couldn't go faster than 30 km/h because the wheels started to spin and the whole front end began to drift to the right. However, these problems existed only on snow-covered roads, I never had problems due to the low temperatures alone. But after that interesting driving experience I decided to buy a set of winter tires and on snow they made a huge difference. Ok so I still can't drive up any steep, snow-covered slope but then my car doesn't have four wheel drive or any claimed off-road ability and on level(ish) snow it's doing just fine.

The main problem with winter tyres in warm weather is hugely increased tyre wear - the rubber becomes softer and rubs off more :)lol:), and all the little cuts and slits mean a bit more rolling resistance, thus more fuel.

Dry traction is reduced a bit simply by having less surface touching the road... that doesn't really matter much though because you rarely have major issues with traction in dry weather.

Thanks. That makes sense. You have to remember, I've never actually seen a snow tire and have only recently even heard of them. It rarely gets below freezing here, and if it's snowing you damn well better stay home because there's no municipal equipment for managing it.

I've never actually seen a snow tire and have only recently even heard of them.

Winter vs Summer:

figuur3.jpg
figuur4.jpg

...what do we see? Bigger grooves for snow instead of water displacement. Tons of small cuts that grip the snow when the tyre is bent inwards (ie at the contact patch), greatly increasing traction on snow.

If you're a Bridgestone fanboy instead:

BLIZZAK_LM30_lg.jpg
POTENZA_RE050A_lg.jpg

Last edited:
My FWD car is sporting winter tires all the time. Every october I drive up to a garage and let them bang on new ones on the front and then I grind those down until next year at the same time. The ones at the rear are good for two or three years though.

I actually never had summer tires on any of my cars.

The comparison of high performance tires to snow tires is just unfair. Now look at a snow rated all season:

gy-fortera-tripletred-ci1-s-1850.jpg

Not much difference form the winter tire, and a decent compromise for an all season tire.

Comparing their treads does highlight the differences very well though.

I would agree. Sometimes you need to exaggerate to make a point clear. Interesting knowledge. I appreciate it.

You wouldn't drive with them in the snow, and you would an allseason tire.

No, nor was he implying such. He was simply explaining the difference to the n00b.

You wouldn't drive with them in the snow, and you would an allseason tire.

I wouldn't, but as you can tell from the OP this thread started out as "I've driven summer tyres in the snow and didn't die"... paraphrasing of course :lol:

I guessed I missed that. But since most cars come equiped with all season tires, I assumed that is what was meant.

So, I guess we can wrap this up by saying that it all depends on where you live, and how much snow you get there, and what kind of driveline that vehicle has, and what you do with that vehicle in the summer.

I don't know what tyres some of you experienced, but it is huge difference between summer and winter tyres.

From my experience even shitty winter tyres are better then summer ones. Generally good tyres makes big difference - IIRC Fifth Gear made some test on this topic comparing cheap, medium and premium tyres. So in my opinion if you live in place where is snow don't save on winter rubber - it can save you at some point.

On topic of summer vs winter tyres. First winter after I bought Corrado I had to make about 20 km through the city just after first snow on summer tyres (Bridgestone Turanzas - which are crap - at the front and some used performance Dunlops at the rear). It took me like 1 hour and was toughest car experience in my life. Couple days later on winter Yokohamas made the same route in 20 minutes. So yes, good winter tyres are worth it.

And about cheap vs good tyres. Now for summer I've got Yokohamas S.drive and they have so much more grip then those Turanzas. Good tyres not only help with performance but can save your life.

Last edited: