Best movie of 2009?

Love the beast.

I was just coming here to post that, I can't believe I glazed over that when I made my earlier post. Great movie, just got done watching it for the 3rd time.

I would probably say watchmen was my second favorite, followed by D9.

For me, it was a three-way tie between District 9, Star Trek, and Up. All of them have their strong points, and I could watch them over and over and over.

@Polly: you did just classify von Trier's catholic-guilt-symbol-fest as a mainstream movie, did you?

I have to go with District 9. The aliens were so emotive without looking even remotely humanoid, and even though there's nothing redeeming about Wikus you're still totally on his side as soon as shit starts to go down. I still don't know how they pulled that off. Also, I'm a big fan of the cheesy explosions. At least they weren't corny.

Haven't seen The Hangover, but you guys are making me think I ought to.

G-Force by far.

Seriously, for me it was Up. One of those movies I held my wife very tightly in the first few minutes.

Cinematography wise, I will have to go with the Harry Potter Movie or Star Trek. The Harry Potter movies have always impressed me with with the cinematography since the third movie.

The Harry Potter movies have always impressed me with with the cinematography since the third movie.

Harry Potter has been through an amazing amount of cinematographers for a franchaise like this, that normally tries to keep a steady crew...

#3 was shot by Kiwi Michael Seresin, who might be best known for Alan Parker's brilliant neo-noir voodoo masterpiece "Angel Heart". He also won a BAFTA award for lensing the Frank McCourt-based "Angela's Ashes".

#4 was shot by Roger Pratt, veteran of Harry Potter #2. His credits include Troy, Twelve Monkeys, Burton's Batman and a bunch of other Hollywood Blockbusters. Got an Oscar nomination for "The End Of An Affair" in 1999.

#5 brings in a real heavyweight: Slavomir Idziak, long-time collaborateur of polish directors Kristof Kieslovski and Kristof Zanussi, also responsible for "Black Hawk Down" (got nominated for an Oscar for it). He might have not shot as many films known to Joe Sixpack as the other two, but he is one of the most important cinematographers ever from an artist's point of view.

Don't know why they let him go, but #6 brings us frenchman Bruno Delbonnel who caught Hollywood's eye lensing Le fabuleux destin d'Am?lie Poulain, shooting Infamous and Across the Universe there. He has been nominated for an Oscar for both Am?lie and Un long dimanche de fian?ailles (A Very Long Engagement), won an ASC award for the latter.

Next year's two-part series final will see yet another cinematographer, portugese Eduardo Serra, making him and Roger Pratt the only persons to shoot two Harry Potter movies. He's probably best known for Blood Diamond and last year's Defiance, eventhough his two Oscar nominations were for The Wings of the Dove (1997) and 2003's Girl with a Pearl Earring, which, sadly, was as boring as it was beautifully shot: very.

EDIT: 2001's series debut was shot by multiple-Blockbuster veteran John Seale. He won an Oscar for The English Patient, got nominated for Cold Montain, Rain Man and Witness and shot almost a dozen other Hollywood classics since his commercial breakthrough with 1986's The Hitcher.

Last edited:
I think I liked State of Play more than Inglorious Basterds - which wasn't THAT good.

I'd say Star Trek. Although District 9 and Up are good runners up.

I really don't understand what the big fuss is about The Hangover. I saw it, and I thought it was a pretty generic dumb comedy.

Damn, forgot about Watchmen. missed it in theaters, torrented the directors cut. loved every minute of it.

The Hurt Locker
Ink
Let The Right One In<released here in 2009>
Precious
Moon

I really don't understand what the big fuss is about The Hangover. I saw it, and I thought it was a pretty generic dumb comedy.

It's a love or hate comedy, part of it is most ppl who loved it had good experiences (not like the movie) going to vegas. I didn't know a single person who watched and didn't find themselves in the mood to return for a weekend in LV. For ppl who have no interest in Vegas, its possible they would find the comedy just plain dumb

three way tie for me, Inglourious Basterds, Star Trek, Avatar 3D (saw each film twice in cinema)
with The Hangover as a worthy mention for best Comedy

Avatar easily, the only really awesome movie of the year. Inglourious Basterds, The Hangover and Star Trek were really good aswell.

It's a love or hate comedy, part of it is most ppl who loved it had good experiences (not like the movie) going to vegas. I didn't know a single person who watched and didn't find themselves in the mood to return for a weekend in LV. For ppl who have no interest in Vegas, its possible they would find the comedy just plain dumb

This makes sense. I have no aspirations to go to Las Vegas.