Unveiled: 2011 Toyota Sienna - Yes, a Minivan...

I think the "looks like a sedan" is code for "It uses Camry headlights".

I wondered if i was the only one who noticed that! :p

I tacked a picture of a Camry to my wall next to my bed in case I need help falling asleep.

Mayble Ill replace that with a picture of this, if I can be bothered.

They said it looks and drives more like a sedan. Are they saying maybe that all of their sedans are going to start looking like this?

Their sedans have been getting awefully tall lately, so you may be on to something.

Their sedans have been getting awefully tall lately, so you may be on to something.

You know, it kinda looks like the Lexus HS if you have the Altezza-like tailights from the SE model :|

A minivan with Altezza tail lights will have to be a winner on the market place (welcome to 1998)

Yeah, its sooooooo late 90s XD

And i just noticed that the first and second row seats are influenced from the Toyota Previa/Estima/Tarago

58756.jpg

First Drive

First Drive

Not really, just saying :p

BTW the first drive for anyone who's curious from Automobilemag

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/0912_2011_toyota_sienna/index.html

And, believe it or not, there are situations where you might want to drive the new Sienna aggressively. In an apparent attempt to appeal to younger buyers, Toyota is offering a distinctly sporty, V6-only SE model. It includes firmer dampers, springs, and antiroll bars along with nineteen-inch wheels (seventeen-inch aluminum wheels are standard). Sienna chief engineer Kazuo Mori, a go-kart racer on his own time, adds that he personally took charge of retuning the SE?s electric power steering for better feel and precision. Topping it all off are sporty fender skirts and front and rear fascias that make the van look a bit like a plus-size Mazda 5.

Charging up the Ortega highway, with sharp dropoffs to one side and motorcycles buzzing by on the other, the SE demonstrates remarkably good body control. Some minivan buyers might not appreciate the slight ride penalty, as the stiffer dampening exposes the torsion-beam rear axle?s difficulty articulating over imperfect surfaces. The SE-specific power assist however, is perfect for this application, and it makes us wonder why other Siennas are still saddled with completely lifeless, numb steering.

?The Toyota way,? offers Mori with a wry smile, explaining that some higher-ups still feel that Toyota?s family vehicles should offer pillow-soft rides and finger-light steering.

Now you know why they're appliances <_<

Last edited:
So essentially Toyota can be saved by putting this Mori fellow in charge of everything.

Looks like a marshmallow. And as such looks somewhat yummy. But I don't want it.

So essentially Toyota can be saved by putting this Mori fellow in charge of everything.

I don't know, Mori is able to tune suspension properly, but he also makes some godawful styling choices.

When it comes to sporty minivan-like vehicles, I much prefer the aesthetic (and drivetrain) choices of the Flex Ecoboost and the Lincoln MKT. I'm no loyal Ford fanboy, but both of those look great, go like stink, and I suspect can handle at least as well as a Sienna SE.

I don't know, Mori is able to tune suspension properly, but he also makes some godawful styling choices.

When it comes to sporty minivan-like vehicles, I much prefer the aesthetic (and drivetrain) choices of the Flex Ecoboost and the Lincoln MKT. I'm no loyal Ford fanboy, but both of those look great, go like stink, and I suspect can handle at least as well as a Sienna SE.

It's really no worse than say, a Honda Odyssey, which could be considered its main competition. Besides which, suspension tuning and better steering could do a LOT to make Toyota more interesting.

It's really no worse than say, a Honda Odyssey, which could be considered its main competition. Besides which, suspension tuning and better steering could do a LOT to make Toyota more interesting.

You won't see me defending ANY styling job Honda has done for the past few years (motorcycles excepted).

Imagine a Tundra 5.7L V8 and AWD? Man that would make for one sporty Sienna SE :D

You guys have NOoooooo idea how amazing the rear seats are. Very good for long journeys. its like riding first class. Well for me at least. It looks very much like the JDM estima, mixed with elements from the Alphard/Vellfire.

OT.
The vellfire doesnt look that bad in a normal colour, like black or white.

The Calty Design Studios [in California] is mostly to blame for the styling - they took charge for it :|

As far as I'm concerned they should have gone for a push-button transmission rather than put the shifter on the middle of the center console/dash unit like that.

The Calty Design Studios [in California] is mostly to blame for the styling - they took charge for it :|

I actually like the styling, it looks crisp. SE looks good in silver too! :)