Man finds shotgun, hands it to police, gets jailed for five years

If it were me, I would not touch it, call the cops and tell them to come and get it that day so that nobody picks it up by accident and/or gets into trouble with it (intentional or no). Cops around here are pretty good with stuff that has been lost and found though, even illegal/dangerous stuff. my dad found a discarded filleting knife at a boat ramp once, and called the cops to ask them what to do. They got there 30 minutes later and picked it. Admittedly not a gun, but still dangerous if it got into the wrong hands.

How would you know what was in the bundle of plastic unless you opened it?

If something, anything, is unbeknownst to you and in a bundle of plastic, would you take it upon yourself to remove it and take it somewhere else?

How would you know what was in the bundle of plastic unless you opened it?

I would open the plastic, but I would use something like a pair of tongs so I don't touch it. Then I wouldn't touch it again.

So someone throws somw rubbish in your garden and immediately you go all CSI and handle it with your BBQ tongs?

I'd just assume it's rubbish and pick it up to throw it away

^ no, because people have thrown dead birds/rats wrapped in plastic bags over fences in my area. Bags of human waste have also been thrown over fences into backyards around my mother's work. Don't really want to touch that sort of stuff with my hands :yucky:

Last edited:
So someone throws somw rubbish in your garden and immediately you go all CSI and handle it with your BBQ tongs?
Well obviously if I open it up and it's full of garbage or something equally useless and annoying to be around, I'd dispose of it.

However, I would think any normal person would treat a bag of guns or other illegal things much differently than they would a bag of garbage.

12 month suspended sentence

The guy said:
"I didn't call the police [to tell them I had found the gun] because I was sleeping with the detective.

"Another officer has got a bit jealous and I have had a lot of harassment from the police since then."

OK... this shit just got weird.

Re: Man finds shotgun, hands it to police, gets jailed for five years

Wat. That's just weird and not really an excuse...

Yeah, police harassment is no reason to be wary of calling the police instead of using a trusted contact within the force.