New Andy Wilman post!

This guy should be president of the world, lovely post to read.

:thumbsup:

Well, Internet Heroes of Criticism, that pretty much told you. So bugger off now.

I lost my excitement for sundays (Top Gear) a long while ago, so I stopped bothering putting my thoughts down here cos everybody seem to disagree with me anyway. I want Top Gear to be about cars, but Andy doesn't so there we go.

I'm still watching it thought.

Reactions: TC
Interesting how he addressed all the main points that have come up here, particularly in the Season 14 Slid Off Track thread.

Knackered team: check
Loss of organic chemistry among the TG3: check
TG3 playing up to their characters instead of themselves: check
Trying new things/changing things up for their own sake: check
Understanding that we're talking about it because we care: BIG HUGE CHECK.

Props to him for sticking to his guns, but bigger ones for not just acknowledging everyone's concerns but also taking the time to address them. +1 to Andy Wilman, indeed.

Interesting how he addressed all the main points that have come up here, particularly in the Season 14 Slid Off Track thread.

Props to him for sticking to his guns, but bigger ones for not just acknowledging everyone's concerns but also taking the time to address them. +1 to Andy Wilman, indeed.

Very much concur with this! And I'd also like to add that I love that he got to the crux of the issue, in that the show has lost its innocence. You heard it from the horse's mouth, people: it's just the natural progression of a show's life. There's always going to be a part where we "loved it when X happened and it was new and awesome".

I guess it shows the TG Team still cares about us too,
we might have been a bit hard on them this season but they might take note.
Big +rep to Andy Wilman, what he says is the truth, and after 14 seasons it's impossible not to lose some of the innocence there was when they had their first great succeses.

Trying new stuff is good, as long as they don't focus on cocking about to much, it might have become an entertainment show but in essence it's still a car program (and a damn good one)
The famous quote by Ferdinand Porsche would apply here: If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

It's a good read and I hope Andy is true to his word.

The "loss of innocence" thing kind of bothers me. Has TopGear really done all that can be done and there is no innocence left to be lost? :(

Perfectly put! :)

From reading his post, it seems like he wants to take TG into more of a drama/sitcom with cars direction rather than staying more as a factual show. While I don't like it, there's nothing we can do.

It?s fair to say this incarnation of Top Gear is nearer the end than the beginning...

It's sad that they felt the show is near it's end though.

Reactions: TC
Well, when you only want to do wacky things there is obviously a point where you no longer can 'invent' newer and better things.

I'm just afraid that they'll soon run out of ideas, and keep making the same clips over and over (best road, old car challenge, and cock-jokes in news segment)

I'd also like to give a big +1 to everyone who kept the "Series 14 Slid Off Track" a grown-up and sensible discussion and didn't let it collapse under the weight of the trolls or go down in flames. The fact is we are all here because we love the show and we care. The posts in that thread and others exhibit that care as so many of us feel we can wear our hearts on our sleeves and full marks to Andy for such a lengthy and considered post and for being prepared to do the same.

Everything else I can think of to say has already been covered above.

It's sad that they felt the show is near it's end though.

I think it's great that they realize they're not going to be able to do this until they're 80. If they did, TG would keep on going and going until it got painful to watch.

I'd rather them go out and leaving us wanting just that little bit more, than going out leaving a bad taste behind.

Interesting to note that when he was blogging a few months back about how TG is not about money/fame, Wilman adamantly argued for how the TG3 truly loves cars...and yet in this post he says to the car enthusiasts: "However, although we understand the complaints, it doesn?t necessarily mean we?re going to do anything about them." And then at the end of the blog he goes on to thank the very same people for "caring so much." Ouch.

Look...we all love TG and we all want to make it better. And obviously you can't satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. But it just seems weird to me that Andy Wilman acknolwedges the TG critics not as haters but as caring car lovers...but then doesn't seem to give a millimeter of ground and say that he will make whatever he wants to make and then let the people vote with on or off button.

Last edited: