60k miles between oil changes is ok, right?

Aaaaaaw hell no !! Now we have two female members with a New Beetle, a New Beetle with a name even ?!?

God damnit, we have a difficult enough time with Kat, how are we going to handle both of you...jesus christ, I'm going to need my brave pills for this...

:p

:lol:

What? It's easier to yell at it when it has a name! :D

Aaaaaaw hell no !! Now we have two female members with a New Beetle, a New Beetle with a name even ?!?

God damnit, we have a difficult enough time with Kat, how are we going to handle both of you...jesus christ, I'm going to need my brave pills for this...

You should get a beetle and join the happy beetle club :p

I need to get some sort of Spider....because Spiders eat Beetles :evil:

And some beetles eat flesh. You drive a large cat.
OMNOMNOM

Your Beetle prefers to eat itself, so I'm safe :mrgreen:

meh...I regularly go 10,000 miles without changing oil. I bought a Toyota Starlet second hand and changed the oil when I got it (it was a sickly gray color) and changed it 6 times over the next 300,000 miles, or about 50,000 miles a change. Some engines can take it. I only change it when the color and consistency tells me it needs to get changed. My Toyotas are about 6000-10,000 miles, my Merkur is about 5000 miles. My Subaru was about 1000, but that was a real POS, so I just didn't change it at all and hoped it would die.

meh...I regularly go 10,000 miles without changing oil. I bought a Toyota Starlet second hand and changed the oil when I got it (it was a sickly gray color) and changed it 6 times over the next 300,000 miles, or about 50,000 miles a change. Some engines can take it. I only change it when the color and consistency tells me it needs to get changed. My Toyotas are about 6000-10,000 miles, my Merkur is about 5000 miles. My Subaru was about 1000, but that was a real POS, so I just didn't change it at all and hoped it would die.

do you use synthetic?

I wonder what pandas eat? hmm...

do you use synthetic?

I use whatever is cheapest. Usually Walmart brand blue bottle. My personal opinion is change it when it looks like it needs to be changed, whether thats 1000 miles or 100000 miles. Or on some cars, that simply burn the oil quick enough, never change it.

Even if you add new oil as they burn off, the filter still needs to be changed. I use cheap Walmart synthetics in my car and I change oil every 5000-6000 miles (so about 2 oil changes per year).

I'm a little bit of a madman on running my cars forever. My Toyota Starlet was bought for $142 (was $200 but talked him down). Had ~200k-300k on it when I got it (read 80,000 miles, and there was no way that much wear happened in just 80,000). Ran it for the next 6 years and put on another 300,000 miles. In that time, I changed tires every 6 months, the oil 6 times, one spark plug, one cap and rotor, 2 air filters. The alternator gave up the ghost, but I got round it by wiring in a light switch: switch it on and the alternator is draining the battery, but will still charge more than it drains, so switch on and start car, shut car off and flip off light switch. And somewhere in there I accidently dropped a nut down the carburetor and its running on 3 1/2 cylinders...but its still running and thats the point.

My subaru's thermostat housing is held on by nylon cord because the bolt broke off and couldn't be bothered to take it out. I lost the oil cap, so its a plastic bag held in place by a rubber band. Etc.

Never buy a new car, when you can buy a used car for $500 or less and run it for 100,000s miles more than common sense.

I've got a friend (and I have seen the car and spoken to the wife who was primary driver, so I have some validation) bought a little Hyundai Getz. Had the first free oil change and that's it. 3 years later he changed the brake pads, topped off the oil, and sold it, all the while praying that the prospective owner didn't open the radiator.

On the other hand, the motorbike gets tinkered with every weekend.