Golf GTI vs Mini Cooper JCW

GerFix

Car(s)
Jaguar XKR, BMW E92 M3, MG TF, Riv 4000
Want to replace the Citroen C2 with a new car. Short list has the Golf GTI (3 door ... no Sirocco in Australia .. yet) and Mini JCW at the top. The car has to be fun to drive (number 1 priority) and able to be flicked for a Mercedes C63 estate (or equivalent) in 3 years time (ie: resale value is a consideration).

Have driven the Golf (with DSG gearbox) and was very impressed .. change down throttle blips and over-run pops always impress me ..... lol. Have only driven the standard Mini so far ... steering on this seems to be more direct (than the Golf) and the driving experience (handling) just a little more visceral.

Obviously .. the Golf is the more practical (and better value) .. but do any here have thoughts on the comparison/decision?

GTI = turbo
Mini = supercharged

as much as I like the GTI that's /thread for me

FTFY and /thread. Go with the whine!

FTFY and /thread. Go with the whine!

It's now turbocharged.

GTI = open diff
Mini = LSD

as much as I like the GTI that's /thread for me

Anyway, a trick front diff in an normal FWD car is redundant. so therefore that GTI v.s Mini's diff talk is rather meaningless, we've been through this.
LeVeL, your diff talk is becoming rather like Posmo's RWD fetish dream. You "think" that LSD is the defining mechanic part that will transform the handling of any car from avg to supercar-like handling, just like Posmo "thinks" every car will automatically gain an advantage when using RWD.

I never had a problem with front grip, nor the lack of traction on the inside wheel, and my GTI has been chipped. If you are struggling to drive a mere 200bhp-FWD-normal-hatchback without a trick diff, my suggestion is learn to drive properly. (most)Torque steer is caused from uneven driveshafts, and a front diff cannot cure the torque steer problem if you are heavy on the right foot, or juiced it at the wrong time in the corner.

This is not a Focus RS with 300bhp to the front wheels, a LSD just adds unnecessary weight to an underpowered car, or a car that does not require it. Which is why Lotus never opted for a LSD setup on the Elise, you had to custom order it from Lotus. Are you gonna walk away from an Elise just because it doesn't come with a LSD?

Last edited:
I have a MK IV GTI with a k04 turbo, ECU tune, 3'' downpipe and a few other bits and pieces and run without LSD. I do have traction problems, axle hop with the ESP turned on for example, but only if I'm being stupid.
On the track (and even less so on the road) there is no problem with torque steer that I can't manage or an inside wheel spinning freely.

Get the Golf, it's more practical... My $0.02.

^

I'm pretty interested in the K04 turbo swap, any idea on how much I will be looking at??

I got an LSD for my old Maxima and there was definitely a difference. It wasn't a huge difference in the dry, although I noticed more traction coming out of corners, and it was a major change in the wet. My friend has a MkV GTI, chipped + some exhaust work, that I've been in plenty of times; if you don't think that car has traction problems then either you have much better tires or you don't drive fast enough. I'm not saying that an LSD will magically turn a poor-handling car into a go-kart but it definitely helps, at least on some cars. I'm not sure if Posmo has ever drive a FWD car :lol: but like I said, I drove my old car without an LSD for a long time and then got one installed - same car, same tires, same power, etc. I'm sure a stock GTI manages fine in most situations but the lack of an LSD would definitely put me off from buying one.

I would go for the Mini, unless you're considering a MK6 GTi which looks pretty badass. The MK5 GTi's styling, inside and out, is a bit bland imo.

As far as the LSD argument goes, I have to say the difference is noticeable when you drive one. Will it make a big difference? Probably not, but it is still nice.

I don't think rwd is better, I know it is. Anyway, I'd get a used 1-series..

1er 3 door hatches are nice. My dad had a 120i 5 door and the extra space was nice, but the doors were too tiny in the back for even for me and the rear seats were not very good. Exiting the car from the back seat is terrible too, whacking one's head is not uncommon.

I'm pitching the 3 door because it's still a hatch and it's sporty.

But, seeing as you didn't have that car on your list, I'd go for the Mini because it handles a bit better and there's more feel as someone had mentioned.

Don't drive the 1 series hatchback if you are thinking about buying a GTI/Mini. You will be left amazed with the agility of a well sorted RWD hot hatch and disappointed about it's everyday practicality.

XR5 turbo.

Anyway, I'd get a used 1-series..
The biggest issue with the 1-series, besides the fact that it's ugly as sin and overpriced, is that nagging feeling that you're only buying it because you can't afford a proper BMW. I'd rather have a slightly older second hand 3-series. The nice thing about the Works Mini is that you can drive down the road knowing you're driving the best of the best from that brand.

^Honestly, I can't agree with you there.

I agree that is rather ugly (although it's looks have grown on me) and that is overpriced. But, as for not being able to afford a proper BMW, I think you're off- it's still a RWD, sporty, well-sorted car. I'm not just saying that because my dad had one, but because it's a very nice car to drive and it still retains all the BMW-ness. The car was designed and built to be a 2002 of today, a car that later grew up to the 3er. Yes, it is small and a bit odd looking, but it's nimbler than a 3er and faster due to its lighter weight.

But, it is impractical as MadCow said. Wouldn't change my mind though, that's why he's got two other cars. Again, seeing as he's already got an E92 M3, maybe he wants to try something else.

And yes x1,000,000 to getting a C63 Estate.

I agree that is rather ugly (although it's looks have grown on me) and that is overpriced. But, as for not being able to afford a proper BMW, I think you're off- it's still a RWD, sporty, well-sorted car. I'm not just saying that because my dad had one, but because it's a very nice car to drive and it still retains all the BMW-ness. The car was designed and built to be a 2002 of today, a car that later grew up to the 3er. Yes, it is small and a bit odd looking, but it's nimbler than a 3er and faster due to its lighter weight.

True. It is a smaller/lighter car and BMW was smart enough to make it RWD and they were also smart enough to offer a few proper motors for it. And the coupe version helps the looks drastically, at the expense of most of the remaining practicality. So it's not a horrible car. In fact, I would probably take a 135i over an M3, if given the choice. :cool: But that is far ... FAR outside the class of the GTi and Mini.

I think the most crucial bit here, if depereciation is a concern, is that you don't buy anything new. Im not all that certain that the JCW package is worth it over a stock Cooper S anyway.. :|

Does the newer mini's come with gages located in the proper location? If there is one thing that killed the previous ones for me it was that "quirk" of sticking with tradition and mounting gages where the driver has to damn near strain his neck (in such a small car) to see the most important thing to keeping the car alive... the bleeding gages!

Beyond that irritation, consider that the mini is smaller and lighter. This inevitably means that wheels/tires, brakes, clutches,etc. will be cheaper, and has the potential to be cheaper on fuel as well. How is the mini's interior compared to the VW? VW has impressed me with the quality if the interiors on their cars in the passed 10 years or so.

I don't think rwd is better, I know it is. Anyway, I'd get a used 1-series..

I'm gonna derail this thread I think with this but...

You drive a 1980's Ford with RWD. It may not be the Ford's I'm used to but FWD cars that came out only 2-4 years after yours can, and do, handle significantly better than that and cost less to own or manufacture (believe it or not, I'm in fact talking Honda's.)

Last edited:
Does the newer mini's come with gages located in the proper location? If there is one thing that killed the previous ones for me it was that "quirk" of sticking with tradition and mounting gages where the driver has to damn near strain his neck (in such a small car) to see the most important thing to keeping the car alive... the bleeding gages!
No. Actually, now, you don't even have the option anymore of putting the speedo and the rev counter in front of you. In the old model, the "Chili" package would put them in front of you, in the new one it all has to be in the center. :rolleyes:

Last edited: