Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Well, good luck with that :) These are a rare find. You have a much better chance of finding a 96/96 850R Sportswagon (red/black).

Parts should not be a problem. It's basically a 850 Turbo. Everything is the same. What's more, iPD make some great aftermarket parts for these cars.

I'm not after an R. I'm specifically looking at yellow T5-Rs. What can I say, I'm a sucker for exclusivity. I've found a bunch of yellow sedans, but I need that wagon.
There was one for sale a little bit ago up in Vermont, but unfortunatly I couldn't afford it then.

I'm doubting you are looking for practicality, but they aren't worth it. I owned a lesser 850 Turbo and it got its ass handed to it by my Mustang. That includes the straights and the corners.

If you really do you want an 850, a turbo can be built up to an R for cheap.

I'm doubting you are looking for practicality, but they aren't worth it. I owned a lesser 850 Turbo and it got its ass handed to it by my Mustang. That includes the straights and the corners.

If you really do you want an 850, a turbo can be built up to an R for cheap.

I'm not looking to drag race Mustangs between the lights. I just want something unique, cool, and fun to drive. I've test drove a T5-R sedan a while back, and I loved it.

Last edited:
I agree with argatoga here, if you really want the car that ended the line of real Volvos, it makes very little sense to pay a lot of extra money for a tiny bit of exclusivity. Just a couple of mods would make the turbo faster than a stock R, and the suspension bits can't be too expensive either. I'd just buy a 745 b230 turbo and spend $10k on the engine, see where that gets you :)

I agree with argatoga here, if you really want the car that ended the line of real Volvos, it makes very little sense to pay a lot of extra money for a tiny bit of exclusivity. Just a couple of mods would make the turbo faster than a stock R, and the suspension bits can't be too expensive either. I'd just buy a 745 b230 turbo and spend $10k on the engine, see where that gets you :)

You're trying to talk "sense" to an enthusiast? You're fighting a losing battle there, mate. Let him have his fantasy and he'll figure things out for himself, one way or another.

You're trying to talk "sense" to an enthusiast? You're fighting a losing battle there, mate. Let him have his fantasy and he'll figure things out for himself, one way or another.

Buying a 20 year old 745 and spending 10 000$ on the engine is "talking sense"?

I like your style man.:cool:

$10k on the engine? Just get a 302 or sbc.

My carless friend (he remains carless because he wrecked his previous one and refuses to just buy a fucking beater already - he DEMANDS that he bum rides off everyone until he can afford what he calls a "luxury car" (he really means "something like a car with a badge and a model year no more than 4 years out") called me up today and asked if I'd help him fix up a car. Assuming he's finally come to his fucking senses, I almost agree - and then I ask "what car?"

He's looking to buy a Merc 2008 C300. That's been totalled out in an epic front end collision. And fix it. Because it's "cheap". For twice the fucking money (or the price of the wreck plus the two bent wheels plus the airbags, not counting any of the actual DAMAGE) he could have an actual, driving 2002 ML350 AMG, for fuck's sake - but that's "too old".

My carless friend (he remains carless because he wrecked his previous one and refuses to just buy a fucking beater already - he DEMANDS that he bum rides off everyone until he can afford what he calls a "luxury car" (he really means "something like a car with a badge and a model year no more than 4 years out") called me up today and asked if I'd help him fix up a car. Assuming he's finally come to his fucking senses, I almost agree - and then I ask "what car?"

He's looking to buy a Merc 2008 C300. That's been totalled out in an epic front end collision. And fix it. Because it's "cheap". For twice the fucking money (or the price of the wreck plus the two bent wheels plus the airbags, not counting any of the actual DAMAGE) he could have an actual, driving 2002 ML350 AMG, for fuck's sake - but that's "too old".

Tell him to insert a rusty shovel into his anal passage.

But in all seriousness, that's idiotic.
Still, if he wants to rip himself off, he shouldn't subject others to his (quite frankly) stupid choices.

There are many cars pre-2005 that are quite reliable, in fact most before that are more than after that.

I hate electronics.

So today on my way to my cousins while stuck behind some retard going 40 to my left I hear a beautiful noise and caught a glimpse of the tail end of a F360, Wow.

Buy him a Cadillac Cimarron and toss him the keys. Problem solved.

Don't listen to them, CrazyRussian540! The 850 is a much better car.

Anyways, my friend from the states called me today. She tried to start my car yesterday...the battery was flat. :| Only 10 days and it went flat...that's not good.

The 740 is still a better car than the 850 :p Related, my car has an excellent battery, after about 30 start attempts and sitting 3 weeks in the snow, it still had enough juice to spin the engine on the starter :)

The 740 is really ugly - I challenge you to argue with that!

I really don't know why my battery goes flat after just 10 days of sitting. It's Exide and was manufactured in Jan 2009. Is it possible that it goes bad in under a year??? There are no problems if I start the car every 6-7 days...more and it goes flat.

Don't listen to them, CrazyRussian540! The 850 is a much better car.

Anyways, my friend from the states called me today. She tried to start my car yesterday...the battery was flat. :| Only 10 days and it went flat...that's not good.

Dude I sometimes leave mine for months and after a few cranks it's fine lol.

Mine goes flat quite literally - not even a light comes on in the car, the power locks are out as well.

Problem is that I don't have $10k. All the T5-Rs I've seen are barely more expensive than the Rs or even Turbos. There was a yellow wagon for sale up in Vermont for $3,995 a month or so ago. Plus, I'm going to keep my car stock for a while. Apart from a lot of smaller issues, with moding cars, the biggest hurdle is that my dad doesn't believe in modifications. And if he's the one paying the insurance, I've got to comply.

That and if I get something as exclusive as a T5-R, I'd want to keep it as original as possible.

As for the 700-series, my grandma had a '91 740 a long time ago, and I loved it. I wouldn't mind owning one as a project, but not as a DD. The 700-series I'd like to own most is the 780 Bertone, but then we come into the hard to find issue.

Last edited:
The 850 Turbo/T5R is a sweet car to insure - insurance companies see it as a regular 850 Wagon and it is very cheap to insure.

However, don't fool yourself in thinking you can get a good one for $3,995. Realistically...they run about $6000. Even if you get one for $4,000 you'll have to spend a lot on maintanance (Timing Belt/Main Seal/Turbo vacuum hoses/PCV/EGR/Brakes/Allignment...) For $6,000 you can get a car with all of the above fixed already :)

Or just get an XJ6. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and easy to work on.

Well except the downdraft O2 sensors that is. But they aren't important. :p