Lens Flair

Foogy_Hills_by_20smoke20.jpg

Just to get things back on track...

4211787170_ffbd6658f1.jpg

I wasn't talking about separating the subject from the background via DOF. Yes, people don't look like they do irl if taken with a telephoto lens either, that's why there are certain lenses that work best for portraits. 70-100mm on full frame or 50-70 on crop. That is, if you keep the person fully in the frame. If you keep the same distance from the object and use a wider angle, their features won't distort, as they will cover a smaller area of the frame.

Here, this is obvious. Wide angle lens, but since the subject's face doesn't cover the entire frame, there is no distortion. In certain cases, if you want to point out a certain feature or charicaturise your subject, it's also not wrong, like here or here respectively. But most of the time it just looks wrong. Don't you think?

Did you even read what I wrote???

Yes, but I quoted badly, my mistake. I just thought the last picture isn't wrong, it's just meant to be funny, would be even goofier if the man had obvious nose hair problem.

I wasn't talking about separating the subject from the background via DOF. Yes, people don't look like they do irl if taken with a telephoto lens either, that's why there are certain lenses that work best for portraits. 70-100mm on full frame or 50-70 on crop. That is, if you keep the person fully in the frame. If you keep the same distance from the object and use a wider angle, their features won't distort, as they will cover a smaller area of the frame.

Here, this is obvious. Wide angle lens, but since the subject's face doesn't cover the entire frame, there is no distortion. In certain cases, if you want to point out a certain feature or charicaturise your subject, it's also not wrong, like here or here respectively. But most of the time it just looks wrong. Don't you think?

Very interesting point Ice.
That photo of the girl in the subway is very good. Is it yours?

Nah, not mine, found it on GIS. And ok, maybe I chose a bad example for that last pic, but I still stand by my point. If you're going for a serious, normal, portrait, you don't get in the person's face with a wide angle lens.