The Best Top Gear Special of all time?

The Best Top Gear Special of all time?

• Total voters

Dave2003

Car(s)
Nissan Skyline TI
The Best Top Gear Special of all time? Which is it?

I have found that personal opinions vary wildly when it comes to this, some people say its the Polar Special, others The American Southwest, and for some nothing beats Vietnam.

I am predicting that this poll will be pretty closely contested regardless of who the winner is.

This is how I personally rate all of the specials (please feel free to strongly disagree if you wish and post your own ratings)

Bolivian Special 10/10
American Southwest Special 9.5/10
Botswana special 8/10
Vietnam Special 7.5/10
Winter Olympics Special 7/10
North Pole Special 6/10

Poll would be nice, gives a more graphical representation of things rather than having to scroll down and read individual posts. :)

Bolivia - 10/10
Vietnam - 9.5/10
America - 9.5/10
Botswana - 9/10
Pole - 9/10
Winter Olympics - 6/10

For me, it was the Bolivia special. The Vietnam special was awesome, but the Bolivia one was just as good. They're both awesome, but for some reason I just found the setting of Bolivia making the whole special better. Both Bolivia and Vietnam though, both awesome. Don't see things like thatanymore on television.

Just finished watching the Bolivian special... :shock: Amazing stuff. I would have been scared to death on the death road. I've seen a couple shows on it before but the pass that Jeremy had to do with the rocks crumbling away had me backing away from the screen haha.

Botswana. Mates on a trip, great scenery, the crew got in there a bit (coz remember, they're doing the trip too! Although hopefully in a little more reliable vehicles), and the vehicles all had personality and all made it.

Vietnam- 10/10
African (Botswana)- 09/10
Polar- 09/10
Bolivia - 08/10
Winter Olympics- 08/10
America- 07/10
Factual America - 07/10

Last edited:
Botswana: 10/10--Magnificent shooting, loads of blokish cocking about, Oliver; this is my go-to when I need a TG special fix
Polar: also 10/10--For intense moments, magnificent shooting, and unguarded moments
Vietnam: 9.5/10--An excellent film and a look at the country, not just the war
America: 8.5/10--Points deducted because it's cruel to send Englishmen (or indeed anyone) to the American south in high summer ;)
Factual America: 8/10--It was slightly less good than America, that's all
Winter Olympics: 6.5/10--Dunno why, but this one, good as it is, feels like filler to me
Bolivia: Erm, haven't seen it yet. Encouraged by the good reactions to it in this thread, though.

Personally I like Botswana the best; they're natural and happy and there's a clear point and an epically close run thing at the finish. It made me feel good and put a smile on my face. Vietnam made me cry for reasons I'm not entirely clear on and while I enjoyed all the others I think Botswana is the clear favourite.

Bolivia - 9/10
Vietnam - 9/10
America - 9/10
Botswana - 10/10
Pole - 9/10
Winter Olympics - 5/10

It was the southeast special, not southwest.

Personally the America special was the funniest to me, mostly because I know all the places they went to since I am originally from the south (Alabama specifically).

However, to me, Boliva was the best. It was just overall stunning and hilarious.

North Pole Special is by far my favourite.
Bolivian Special is next.
Botswana Special next.
US Fly Drive Special next.
Winter Olympics next.
Vietnam last.

Don't get me wrong, I love them all (with the possible exception of Vietnam). But if I had to rank them...

I just can't pick a winner as they all have their different points for me.

Fly Drive Holiday for the funneh.
Polar for the accomplishment and the effort
Botswana for the cinematography
Vietnam for getting JC onto two wheels and for the history and the travelogue
Bolivia for all sorts of reasons but mainly revealing James' psycho side!
Winter Olympics for the variety and the mini ski jump.

I could pick a random one now but it would change with my mood so I shall abstain.

I'd have to rate them:

Vietnam
North Pole
Botswana
Bolivia
US Factual (Bonneville!)
US Southeast
Winter Olympics (And the ice racing is the only reason it should even be on the list imho)

Also, I really don't understand why people don't seem to like the Vietnam one that much. It was by far the most entertaining one of the bunch. Granted it's not car focused, but the bikes were awesome, and the scenes at the end with the watercraft - Fantastic.

Bolivia was alright, but honestly I thought it was a few steps behind the others above it visually and entertainment-wise.

1. Botswana_____ - 10/10
2. Pole_________ - 10/10
3. Bolivia_______ - 10/10
4. Vietnam______ - 9/10
5. Winter Olympics - 9/10
6. America______ - 9/10

Damn can't get them to line up, damn you proportional fonts, damn you to hell!

Last edited: