What to do with spare Mac Mini

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
I have a spare Core Solo Mac Mini. I have no idea what I should do with it. I already have a home server. And it doesn't have the oomph to be a media center computer.

I'm guessing you have no need for a new just-surfing-the-internet-and-not-doing-anything-strenuous computer to put somewhere in the house?

I have a notebook for that.

I'd keep it around just so I know what's what in the Mac world. I haven't used Snow Leopard at all and have barely touched Leopard so my view on Macs is a bit archaic.

Give it to me baby! Uh huh, uh huh!

whiteguy.jpg

I have an idea of somewhere it can go, but since it's you I won't suggest it. :D

Carputer makes sense to me. What's it got for a GPU?

I already have a much more powerful Macbook, so I don't need it for Mac OS X. And I'm thinking of getting an iMac soon anyway.

I've looked into the idea of a carputer, but non glare screens are pricy. Plus I would need to upgrade my alternator (currently 70amps).

Engine management would be an issue. Though I plan on Mega Squirting it some day.

Last edited:
CPU matters not when you have hardware acceleration. Also, that C2S can handle 720p on its own anyway.

Donate it to someone?

CPU matters not when you have hardware acceleration. Also, that C2S can handle 720p on its own anyway.

Yea but I would need a CODEC which supports it. The Apple provided one doesen't support mkv and most non Apple encoded streams.

Sounds like an OSX problem, to which there are simple solutions.

Have a link?

As far as a media PC is concerned I watch stuff on my 24" monitor so I don't really need one.

If I went that route I'd mount it in the boot and run the necessary wiring up to the display. I already have my battery back there so it would save on running another power cable.

The big concern is the display and sunlight. I generally drive without a roof. I'd also like some method of easily hiding the display.

Last edited: