Would you drive a car you hated if...

Would you drive a car you hated if...

• Total voters

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, Tesla Model Y
1. you were some celebrity or professional athelete (or has been celebrity or athlete who has fallen on hard times)
2. and got a huge sponsorship by a big car company (say multimillion dollar/euro payments a year) and lets say the rest of your income is comparable to what you earn now or is very small compared to the sponsorship money
3. but it was a company you hated (Buick, Fiat, Lada, whatever) and the car you were given (you don't get to choose the best car in their lineup as consolation) was crap
4. you were required to drive that car mon-fri and in all publicity functions related or not related to your profession/that car company (i.e. you could not be photographed by tabloids driving in 'someone else's car, the equivalent of being caught in public with 'another woman')
5. you could buy any other car you want with your own money, but as far as driving goes, you have to be in this hateful car the majority of your driving time and if you violate any of these terms, the company pulls your sponsorship right away and you can be sued for the money you were already paid, meaning you lose that too.
6. you cannot modify it or make it any more fun to drive (and don't say you hate a Lotus Elise or something, it has to be a car you genuinely hate to drive or boring)

Would you go ahead and do it? (edited the rules)

Last edited:
Oh my god yes. Give me that money right now.

Absolutely! <sticks out hand> Keys please!

I enjoy driving any car, as long as it goes when you push the pedal on the right. Hell yes!

duh.... just strap a few turbos on it and BAM, I will love it!

Depends.
If I had enough money to not need, I wouldn?t.
If said sponsorship was a sizeable part of my income for the year, then yes.

If I were already making a ton of money, then no. I had to drive around a car I hated for a year and a half for my job and I did it because I had no choice. However, if I were already rich I don't need the damn money and I'll drive around in something I enjoy.

Sure. I'd hitch up a small trailer to it and sneak out the bike when I really wanted to go for a drive.

Actually reminds me of the question in MOJO, "Would you accept a briefcase with a million dollars if it meant a Chinese person fell off his bicycle and died?" I can never get it around my head who would want to kill a random Chinese person and then hand me a million dollars.

Of course I would! I would even drive a Geo Metro!

...I'll swap a Suzuki 1.3 TwinCam engine. 100hp in a ~1800lbs car - oh yes please! :) I might even bolt on a turbo.

On the outside - it will still look like a regular Geo Metro :)

If my income as a celebrity/athlete was already quite substantial, then no I wouldn't drive a shitbox for money.

The enthusiasm of you guys leads me to believe that you don't consider the celebrity status and the already huge sums of money involved in it (in most cases anyway) and just think "hell I make 50 grand a year of course I'd drive around in some crummy japanese box for a million a year"

Last edited:
What the hell kind of thread/question is this?

Yes, I was under the assumption that my entire income is based around the car. Given that I already make a lot of money, no thanks.

And as long as we're engine swapping, I bet a lot of cars would fit a 13b :cool:

Why? What has Tiger Woods done now? :)

Yeah, I'd do it. Throw me in a next-gen Yugo for all I care, but if the money is right, I'll survive and drive my cool cars other times.

Depends on all sorts of things. How long will I need to drive it? What sort of car would it be? Would I really need those multimillions or am I already earning millions without that car-deal? Am I allowed to drive whatever I like in the weekends?

If I already made a lot of money and they made me drive something like a Multipla, then no.

I would assume you'd have to keep the car stock (although probably top spec) because you're essentially using your status to advertise. It would defeat the point if you had noticeable mods. I would almost certainly do it even if I made a bucket of other money. The extra cash could be given away or just spent as mad money. I mean, if The Stig can drive a Fiat, I think I can put up with something crummy.

It all comes down to how crazy/obsessed you are with cars to the point where your sponsorship income (whatever else you earn, thats purely up to you, but lets assume youre not making any more money you do currently in your real life jobs)

You'd have money to buy Lamborghinis, Bentleys, Paganis, whatever but you only have time to drive them maybe 5% of your driving life

What the hell kind of thread/question is this?

It's a question of whether someone here who claims to be a diehard petrol-head would actually turn away huge sums of money over a matter of automotive pride.

Last edited: