The "New Toys" Thread

41mxSh3DSXL.jpg

Old headset gave up the ghost yesterday :(

^ cool but does anyone ever use the microphone? unless you're an XBOX gamer

^I'm on Ventrilo and Teamspeak often so yes I use it a lot :)

So I got the hard drive and installed Ubuntu, but I have a problem. My desktop is larger than my screen. I've seen other people having this problem and it being caused by xorg.conf having a line in it called "Virtual Desktop" or something, with a value larger than the resolution they're using, causing the oversized desktop. My xorg does not have this line. I think my tv is partly to blame, because despite reporting as being 720p, Windows has to be set to 1156x654 or something like that because 1280x720 gave me the exact same problem I'm seeing in Ubuntu.

RMA batch came in today and worked immediately upon plugging them in
Corsair_DDR2_800_DHX.jpg

ohhh ya finally my desktop is running at more than 1 gig of ram @_@ (long story in tech support)

So how much memory do you have now? Someone at work had 5 of their 6 slots in their 9 month old i7 machine die so he only had 1GB instead of 4. Dell were going to replace the board but I haven't been at work so I'll have to speak to him on Monday. :)

I'm loving this new mouse, so much more comfortable. Getting used to the freewheeling scroll wheel too.

Well, it's kind of a new toy, so here goes:

full

My THIRD Seagate 7200.11 500GB decided that bad sectors are good, so I returned it to the store. Since they don't have any 7200.11 500GB models left they gave me a 7200.12 500GB instead, sweet :) The HDD looked kinda silly because it's quite slim compared to every other 3,5" drive I've seen, the reason for the flatness is the fact that it has only one platter.

The tests showed that it's quite a bit faster than the old drive I returned, but mostly I'm interested whether this newer model is more reliable than the rather disappointing 7200.11. The 7200.11 models "showed their true colors" in about a year, so if this drive makes it through 2010 without any problems I'm satisfied ;)

Bought this for dad for new years, but it's also more of a toy for me:

555_TG.jpg

We've got 3 units there and none of the remotes are backlit. This solves both problems. :thumbup:

^I got one too. It's brilliant. (except the software)

Last edited:
Took me a while to get the hang of it, but I was able to fully customize it. Now that I'm trying to make one last change... it's stuck in updating at 3%... :(

So how much memory do you have now? Someone at work had 5 of their 6 slots in their 9 month old i7 machine die so he only had 1GB instead of 4. Dell were going to replace the board but I haven't been at work so I'll have to speak to him on Monday. :)

I'm loving this new mouse, so much more comfortable. Getting used to the freewheeling scroll wheel too.

a whopping total of 3 gig :)

No big surprise as they are produced by an actual hi-fi speaker company and not by some computer mouse and keyboard manufacturer :p

Bought this hardware for an upgrade of the family computer (and for my brother who wants to game)

Antec 500 Watt PSU
Gigabyte AM3 motherboard (AMD 785G)
AMD Phenom II X4 955 (4x 3200 MHz)
Memory: DIMM 4 GB DDR3-1066 Kit (4096 MB)
Asus 3D card: ATI Radeon HD5770

Now find some cheap place for a Win7 license and this will be one fine thing.

If you're a student, or know someone with a student number, you can get it. I paid $49.95AUD for a Win 7 Pro 64bit license.

2TB Seagate External. Finally I can archive all my TV shows without having to make Sophies Choice when I fill up the HD. This should last maybe a year if I try. Shit in HD just takes up more room and now that I have room, time to use it.

HD2-F2_1.jpg

Too scared of scratching/ruining the beautiful screen.

Watches take more abuse than phones. If the HD2 has that Gorilla Glass stuff, you'd most likely be fine without any kind of protection, though I still recommend the invisible shield.

meh -.-
my watch does have some sort of "scratchproof" glass.
doesn't work, i have proof :mad:

I'd be willing to bet your watch has a "scratch resistant" coating and not a "scratch proof" coating, they'd open themselves up to too many claims and returns with a "scratch proof" coating. What you want for a watch crystal is sapphire glass- it ranks 9 on the Mohs scale, just under diamonds. No coating needed.

Upgraded my dads computer with the following:

i5 750
Asus P7P55D
OCZ Platinum Edition 2x2GB
OCZ ModXStream 500w
Sapphire ATI HD4830

I was hoping the old 6800GT he had would still do the job but it was horrible in Windows 7, so I had to get the 4830.
Unfortunately the PSU failed after about 2 hours, so I have had to re-install his old 350W PSU which is doing a fine job.