Gallery of Honda S2000 failures

I can see two different failure modes: from lack of cooling (mangled valves) and lack of lubrication (seized pistons). Everything else is the spectacularly chaotic aftermath.

Mangled valves is mechanical overrev, seized pistons are overrev/cooling/lube.

Honda using a Mazda differential?

Mazda got it from someone else, it's not an in-house Mazda part IIRC.

I don't think that was about the engine (though I could be wrong), but the differential had a lot of problems, some related to cooling. Basically, they took the diff out of a Miata and stuck it in a heavier and far more powerful car and it didn't work out well.

:blink:

Well, that's what happens when you forget to change your timing belt.

I love the fact that the conrods are just cleanly cut in half, this is what a really failed conrod should look like:

207utfk.jpg

:p

Yeah, wasn't the brightest parts choice Honda ever made. Anecdotal: The manufacturer's specs said that the S2000 was *just* in the differential's performance envelope, but either the S2000 got more power/weight than it was supposed to have or the manufacturer was completely wrong.

The s2000 is known also for another problem... syncros. Some won't even last 20k. Funny enough, this same transmission is used in the rx8/mx-5 as well as the 350z

I have verified that the s2000 shares a ring and pinion with the 7" (1.8l mazda miata/non-turbo FC RX7) diff but nothing else interchanges and the s2000 at least pre-loads the torsen with a clutch. Problem is the design in Miata's are WIDELY known to not be good beyond 200hp for long. If I'm not mistaken though, the diff is an in house design of Mazda's. Interesting Honda would go to them for one.

We call it "mechanical overrev", for short. :p

The rest of us call it "money shifting".

Last edited:
The s2000 is known also for another problem... syncros. Some won't even last 20k. Funny enough, this same transmission is used in the rx8/mx-5 as well as the 350z

I have verified that the s2000 shares a ring and pinion with the 7" (1.8l mazda miata/non-turbo FC RX7) diff but nothing else interchanges and the s2000 at least pre-loads the torsen with a clutch. Problem is the design in Miata's are WIDELY known to not be good beyond 200hp for long.

Looks like you just answered your own question; it's basically the same diff. Much like there's a few different versions of the Dana 44 running around, but they're all the same design though some don't have parts that interchange. Remember, not even all the Miata diffs are precisely identical or interchange individual parts though they're all the same general design, IIRC.

Looks like you just answered your own question; it's basically the same diff. Much like there's a few different versions of the Dana 44 running around, but they're all the same design though some don't have parts that interchange. Remember, not even all the Miata diffs are precisely identical or interchange individual parts though they're all the same general design, IIRC.

Well depends on the ring gear size mostly. The rest is casing and type (ie. torsen/clutch/open/viscous). It is apparently possible to swap the S2000 guts into the miata casing but you've got to adapt the axles as well.

Well depends on the ring gear size mostly. The rest is casing and type (ie. torsen/clutch/open/viscous). It is apparently possible to swap the S2000 guts into the miata casing but you've got to adapt the axles as well.

So the carrier has a different spline count. That's not a huge difference.

I wouldnt get so hung up on what type of carrier it has, if the ring gear and case is the same design it's the same diff IMO. But I come from the GM side of the fence where you can get either open carriers or cone-posi carriers for the exact same rear end and gears. And the whole design was the same for about 20 years, but the spline count changed in the middle of it. But if you had the cash you could go buy a Dana 44 for them straight from the GM parts desk.

Last edited:
The F20/F22 in the s2k is a very reliable engine if treated well. Don't overrev it, check oil weekly, and you'll be fine. The close-ratio 6-spd is easy to misshift if you're not careful. Miss 4th and hit 2nd instead on a downshift at high rpm and say goodnight.

Every engine will have failures. Most of them needed driver mods, if you know what I mean. I love my Honda. 240HP from NA 2.2L? Yes please. :D

Last edited:
So the carrier has a different spline count. That's not a huge difference.

I wouldnt get so hung up on what type of carrier it has, if the ring gear and case is the same design it's the same diff IMO. But I come from the GM side of the fence where you can get either open carriers or cone-posi carriers for the exact same rear end and gears. And the whole design was the same for about 20 years, but the spline count changed in the middle of it. But if you had the cash you could go buy a Dana 44 for them straight from the GM parts desk.

about the only thing interchangeable is the ring and pinion, everything else is different so not really the same.

about the only thing interchangeable is the ring and pinion, everything else is different so not really the same.

You just described much of the Dana 44 family. They're all still Dana 44s.

seems like they came out of an ap1. they made a few changes for the ap2 but you also have to remember when you're revving a car that high, your margin of error in driving needs to be really low. i can't imagine mis-shifting into 1st instead of 3rd at 9000 rpms

Good luck being able to do that.