Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

The expression on the Lotus 7's "face" is priceless: "Oh God you've overcooked it! We're going to die!!!!" :lol:

Last edited:
:lol:
Looks like the car is scared of jumping.

i think travis pastrana is actually a terminator in disguise

crazy!

i think travis pastrana is actually a terminator in disguise

crazy!

Not to spoil the show, buuuut I did a simple calculation (disregarding loss of speed due to air friction) of the minimum necessary speed he had to have when he left the ramp, depending on the angle of the ramp:

muzzb5.png

From the video I'd guess the launch angle is somewhere between 15 and 20 degrees, requiring him to do about 150 km/h. Now If you consider friction that number probably goes up by about 10% but it's still manageable for a rally car. It is quite amazing though that he managed to keep the car straight enough to hit the other ramp.

Not to spoil the show, buuuut I did a simple calculation (disregarding loss of speed due to air friction) of the minimum necessary speed he had to have when he left the ramp, depending on the angle of the ramp:

muzzb5.png

From the video I'd guess the launch angle is somewhere between 15 and 20 degrees, requiring him to do about 150 km/h. Now If you consider friction that number probably goes up by about 10% but it's still manageable for a rally car. It is quite amazing though that he managed to keep the car straight enough to hit the other ramp.

what does maths have to do with the fact that travis pastrana is crazy?

what does maths have to do with the fact that travis pastrana is crazy?

Alright, probably nothing. I just wanted to point out that the stunt wasn't as crazy as it looked. (Which doesn't say anything about Travis' craziness, only if he did it without any form of rough calculation to see if it could possibly work out)

Also from last night, though not as successful:

[YOUTUBE]z5-_kdeOg8E[/YOUTUBE]

Jumping things is not hard when you bother to do math and make the ramps wide enough.

The problem with most people who do jumps is that they do neither of those things.

Also, this is the first time in recorded history anyone has ever said "woohoo" and giggled while still in the process of crashing a car (into an arrester barrier, but still.)

Jumping things is not hard when you bother to do math and make the ramps wide enough.

The problem with most people who do jumps is that they do neither of those things.

Also, this is the first time in recorded history anyone has ever said "woohoo" and giggled while still in the process of crashing a car (into an arrester barrier, but still.)

I'l get you the wood, you build a ramp and jump your Focus over 5 busses.....make sure to tell us how it went :mrgreen:

So there is something exciting about it? ;)

I'l get you the wood, you build a ramp and jump your Focus over 5 busses.....make sure to tell us how it went :mrgreen:

The suspension probably won't take it very well but other than that... as he said if the ramps are wide enough and (as I said) if the speed is high enough and the car doesn't have an odd weight distribution I don't see that much of a problem... If according to the physics involved it should work out then it will work out (provided the calculations are correct). Oh and keeping the car in a straight line will also help quite a bit!

The landing would be dicey in the Focus because the rear suspension is MUCH MUCH HARDER than the front, and it's rather front heavy, but if the speed is matched precisely to the design of the landing ramp and jump distance (which given the state of the drivetrain, I can't guarantee) the landing should be no worse than a speed bump at speed.

Also I'd be hard pressed to build a wooden landing ramp I'd be comfortable hitting with a flying car of any description.

In Physics I Trust.

I don't know if I've posted this before... but then again, this car is probably worthy of being reposted in this thread again and again and again.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/renaultfan/2010/01/02/1991-mazda-787b-5w.jpg

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9e2Ecx-7RI[/YOUTUBE]